ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 can go for mortgage?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

faraz668
Newly Registered

Tier 1 can go for mortgage?

Post by faraz668 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:50 pm

hi
i am currently under Tier 1 and I need to renew it next year (june 2012) for the next two years then I can go for ILR.
My question is can I get a mortgage or do I have to wait for ILR
Regards

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Some companies will lend and some may not. The ones I have spoken with require a minimum length remaining on the visa (eg, one year). Other issues are if you work on contract (rather than permanent) and size of deposit.

(If anyone has a broker/adviser they used while a contractor, send me a PM, I'd appreciate it!)

teddy0409

Mortgage

Post by teddy0409 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:06 pm

Yes you can, try RBS or Halifax bit flexible with Tier1 immigrants,
(Iam with RBS)
If Not We, Then Who?

Tweedum
Newly Registered

Lloyds

Post by Tweedum » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:02 pm

I tried for a housing loan with Lloyds with Tier 1 and they wanted me to have ILR.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:08 pm

Best option for a mortgage is the bank where you get paid your salary and have your main account. Few of my friends got mortgages from HSBC while on work permit which was a stretch really. But they were banking with HSBS for 3 to 4 years.
When it comes to Tier 1, you need to have a minimum validity which may be different depending which bank you chose.

Also note that mortgage rates here vary a lot based on your profile. You may end up paying a higher interest solely because you have restrictions on your stay here which the bank is risking - so it's a negative point for which the bank will charge a slightly higher rate.

KP