ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Contracting though an umbrella company - extension evidence

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

pyke

Contracting though an umbrella company - extension evidence

Post by pyke » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:06 pm

According to the guidance,

If the applicant is a contractor who does not operate either through his/her own company or as an employee, he/she may provide
an accountant’s letter confirming a breakdown of his/her gross and net earnings for the period claimed and personal bank statements clearly highlighting all credit payments made to his/her account from employment undertaken during the earnings period claimed.

I don't quite understand which amount the points will be based on - gross or net? Bank statements would be net, after a lot of deductions. My umbrella company states gross, taxable and net amounts. Taxable amount being the gross after deducting their fees and employer NI contribution. There is a lot of difference between the gross, taxable and net amounts and it will be tough if they are using the net amounts.

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Re: Contracting though an umbrella company - extension evide

Post by cheshiregoan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:59 pm

pyke wrote:According to the guidance,

If the applicant is a contractor who does not operate either through his/her own company or as an employee, he/she may provide
an accountant’s letter confirming a breakdown of his/her gross and net earnings for the period claimed and personal bank statements clearly highlighting all credit payments made to his/her account from employment undertaken during the earnings period claimed.

I don't quite understand which amount the points will be based on - gross or net? Bank statements would be net, after a lot of deductions. My umbrella company states gross, taxable and net amounts. Taxable amount being the gross after deducting their fees and employer NI contribution. There is a lot of difference between the gross, taxable and net amounts and it will be tough if they are using the net amounts.
Points claimed for earning are always Gross (i.e. pre-tax). As long as the Net Salary on the letter from umbrella company matches the amount on your bank statement there is no problem whatsoever.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

pyke

Post by pyke » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Thank you.

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Post by aliq09 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:33 am

pyke wrote:Thank you.

Hi there ,

Just an information about your case :

1) The net income will be expense minus i.e suppose you earn 100 pounds and make an expense of 30 pounds now your taxable income will be 100-30=70 . On 70 pounds you will pay NI . PAYE and other stuff so HOme office will see this 70 as your income . Please be careful with this trap ....

Good Luck!
Ali
Thanks

Ali

MPI

Re: Contracting though an umbrella company - extension evide

Post by MPI » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:57 pm

pyke wrote:According to the guidance,

Does this guidance apply to for those through Umbrellas? I thought all with Umbrella's , are essentially PAYE employees , so don't have to worry about statements as above ? ( except ofcourse to ensure they don't count they non taxable expenses in etc )
or I got it wrong ?

pyke

Post by pyke » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:22 pm

MPI wrote:Does this guidance apply to for those through Umbrellas?
That is aimed at those who operate through an umbrella company, I think.

aliq09 wrote:The net income will be expense minus i.e suppose you earn 100 pounds and make an expense of 30 pounds now your taxable income will be 100-30=70 . On 70 pounds you will pay NI . PAYE and other stuff so HOme office will see this 70 as your income . Please be careful with this trap
Thank you, Ali. That does make a difference. Can someone confirm this, please? That it is the taxable amount that NI and PAYE is based on, not the gross amount? Even if these are not expenses that are reimbursed, merely allowable expenses used to reduce the amount taxed.

That would make it really self-defeating to claim deductable expenses such as accommodation and transport in order to reduce the taxable amount, wouldn't it? It's a double-edged sword.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 pm

pyke wrote:
MPI wrote:Does this guidance apply to for those through Umbrellas?
That is aimed at those who operate through an umbrella company, I think.

aliq09 wrote:The net income will be expense minus i.e suppose you earn 100 pounds and make an expense of 30 pounds now your taxable income will be 100-30=70 . On 70 pounds you will pay NI . PAYE and other stuff so HOme office will see this 70 as your income . Please be careful with this trap
Thank you, Ali. That does make a difference. Can someone confirm this, please? That it is the taxable amount that NI and PAYE is based on, not the gross amount? Even if these are not expenses that are reimbursed, merely allowable expenses used to reduce the amount taxed.

That would make it really self-defeating to claim deductable expenses such as accommodation and transport in order to reduce the taxable amount, wouldn't it? It's a double-edged sword.

yr payslip will clearly show taxable salary and gross salary

only taxable salary will count for HO point
CDOKS

ti_abbasi2002

Independent Contractor

Post by ti_abbasi2002 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:44 pm

i am working as independent Contractor as a ERP consultant and I want to know, is it must to send invoices to HO for clients whom I worked for?.

According to Ukba guidelines " If the applicant is a contractor who does not operate either through his/her own company or as an employee, he/she may provide an accountant’s letter confirming a breakdown of his/her gross and net earnings for the period claimed and personal bank statements clearly highlighting all credit payments made to his/her account from employment undertaken during the earnings period claimed".

Is it fine If my accountant can confirm breakdown of gross and net earnings for the period claimed and personal bank statements clearly highlighting all credit payments made to my account from employment undertaken during the earnings period claimed? or I also need to send invoices? but this is not mentioned in HO guidelines