ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

185 days requirement for Provisional Drivers Licence ?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

inwantofbeingme
Newly Registered

185 days requirement for Provisional Drivers Licence ?

Post by inwantofbeingme » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:41 pm

Hello folks,

I moved to the UK on the 10th of February on Tier 1 visa. Recently, I went to the post office and got an application for applying for Provisional Drivers Licence and started filling up the application form.

In one of the sections, it had an instruction such as "To apply for a GB driving licence, you must be normally resident in the UK for more than 185 days"

I was a bit confused as, this clearly says GB driving licence, while I am only applying for the Provisional Driving Licence.

When I asked about this instruction to the helper in the Post Office, she was not sure either.

So i got here and did a search and also checked direct.co.uk, but was unable to find a clear instruction for applying for 'Provisional Drivers Licence'

Can someone please clarify if I have to wait 185 days for the Provisional Drivers Licence or do I have to wait 185 days after obtaining my PDL to apply for the actualy DL ?

Your time is much appreciated. Thanks!
IWOBM

light_tunnel

Post by light_tunnel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Even I am under the same impression, hence have chosen not to apply. Maybe the Seniors can throw more light on this.

inwantofbeingme
Newly Registered

Post by inwantofbeingme » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:08 am

People...anyone ?

Should I just apply for the PDL without waiting for the 185 days ?
Last edited by inwantofbeingme on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: 185 days requirement for Provisional Drivers Licence ?

Post by 86ti » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:37 am

inwantofbeingme wrote:In one of the sections, it had an instruction such as "To apply for a GB driving licence, you must be normally resident in the UK for more than 185 days"
I think what that instruction tries to say is what the DVLA would understand as "normally resident". A Tier 1 visa would indicate that you are, see e.g. the DH100 leaflet (PDF).

inwantofbeingme
Newly Registered

Post by inwantofbeingme » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:20 pm

@ 86Ti

Thanks a lot for your response. So I gather I am eligible and don't have to wait 185 days to apply for the PDL.

Here's a quote from the PDF, also the same instructions are with the INF booklet instructions that came along with the application form.
You can only get a GB driving licence if
you are normally resident in Great Britain
To be normally resident you must usually live in the
United Kingdom for 185 days in each calendar year.
Applicants who are not UK citizens or nationals of
another EU or EEA country will not be considered
normally resident if they:
• do not have leave to remain in the UK, or
• are in the country on a temporary basis without
leave to remain either while awaiting a decision
to stay in the UK or following a decision refusing
such an application.

And I have leave to remain, also I am NOT in the country on a temporary basis.

So I shall go ahead and apply. Thanks again for the clarification.

subins
Newly Registered
India

Post by subins » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks for this post.. It helped me too.