ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship for children

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nsha
Newly Registered

British citizenship for children

Post by nsha » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:03 pm

I am on Tier 1 visa along with my wife (dependant visa) & daughter (born in UK 2007, dependant visa). We are due to apply for ILR in June 2011 (been on tier 1 for 5 years). Our second daughter was born in Feb 2011.

We plan to travel to India in October 2011. I am aware I can apply for british citizenship for our second daughter -

1. Do I apply at the same time or after I get my ILR done.

2. Can I apply for my first daughter to become a british citizen at the same time as my second daughter ( cost for 1 child £500, for 2 children £600) instead of applying ILR for her. Or get ILR for myself, my wife and 1st daughter now.

3. I guess if they get british passports done - they would need india visa to travel to india.

many thanks in advance.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:06 pm

nsha wrote:I am on Tier 1 visa along with my wife (dependant visa). We are due to apply for ILR in June 2011 (been on tier 1 for 5 years).
Assuming the second daughter was also born in the UK:
nsha wrote:I am aware I can apply for british citizenship for our second daughter
No you cannot, not before you are granted settlement (for either daughter).
nsha wrote:1. Do I apply at the same time or after I get my ILR done.
As above.
nsha wrote:2. Can I apply for my first daughter to become a british citizen at the same time as my second daughter ( cost for 1 child £500, for 2 children £600) instead of applying ILR for her. Or get ILR for myself, my wife and 1st daughter now.
Though the choice is yours but there is no requirement for a UK-born-child to be included in the settlement application of the parent (that the child is a dependant of).
For children born in the UK, immediately after a parent is granted settlement/PR, their child is entitled to register for British citizenship (Section 1(3)), irrespective of child's immigration status.
nsha wrote:3. I guess if they get british passports done - they would need india visa to travel to india.
Of course!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

nsha
Newly Registered

Post by nsha » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 am

thanks for the prompt reply.

nsha
Newly Registered

Post by nsha » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Hello

I just called the UKBA contact centre to enquire and they said that as my daughter is born before I get the ILR status, she too has to apply for ILR first with me before being granted citizenship!

Not sure what to do now.

nsha

John

Post by John » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:37 pm

nsha, for the record, your child born last month, where was she born? In the UK?
John

nsha
Newly Registered

Post by nsha » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:14 pm

Yes both daughters born in Uk. 1st baby aug 2007 , second baby feb 2011. We r due for ilr in June 2011

John

Post by John » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:27 pm

That being the case, I can say that the so-called UKBA helpline has proved to be unhelpful. Simply what you have been told is a load of rubbish. You need not apply for ILR for either daughter.

As soon as you have your ILR the born-in-the-UK children will be entitled to apply for Registration as British, under section 1(3). Such an application is an entitlement application ... no UKBA discretion involved ... and accordingly whether the children have ILR, or not, is irrelevant.

Make the applications soon after you have your ILR ..... section 1(3) applications are dealt with quite quickly, and expect to receive their Certificates of Registration in under a month, probably in 2 to 3 weeks.

Had a child been born outside the UK, the application would be under section 3(1), and then it would be necessary for that child to have ILR before the application is made.

Did the UKBA "helpline" actually ask whether the children were born in the UK?
John

nsha
Newly Registered

Post by nsha » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:39 am

Yes, the I told the lady my whole situation. She was in a hurry though. I will probably ring again on Monday and challenge them on the basis of you advice.

John

Post by John » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:28 pm

I would say, save yourself the bother and expense of ringing again, and instead read the relevant part of the UKBA instructions to its staff .... click here.

Then read 8.1.1.1 in particular. Again I emphasise that a section 1(3) application is an entitlement application. No UKBA discretion involved.
John

Sufi2
Newly Registered

nsha - what did you do in the end how did it go

Post by Sufi2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:38 am

Please share what you did in the end did you include kids in ILR application etc

mk357
Member of Standing

Re: nsha - what did you do in the end how did it go

Post by mk357 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Sufi2 wrote:Please share what you did in the end did you include kids in ILR application etc
No need for children born in the UK to get ILR first, as John stated. Apply for their registration under section 1(3), AFTER you get your ILR. Once Registration Certificate is received then apply for their pasport.

Sufi2
Newly Registered

Post by Sufi2 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:13 am

Thank you mk357, how then do you complete MN1sections 2 and 3? They ask for date of ilr

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:21 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Sufi2
Newly Registered

Post by Sufi2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:02 am

Thank you vinny! Every little does help
kmore97 - how did the registration go?