ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can I use ILR on old passport after got British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

crazychris

can I use ILR on old passport after got British Passport

Post by crazychris » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:59 am

I will apply for British passport.
Because my native country not allow dual citizenship and it's extraudinary inconvenient to apply for visa from my native country, I have to use my old passport (it's still valid) with ILR when travel to my native country. My question is: will Home office cancel my ILR or endorse sth on my old passport when I apply for British passport?

nax_72

Post by nax_72 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:37 pm

HO will not cancel your ILR. You can use your ILR stamp to get back to UK and then apply for British passport.

mcovet
BANNED

Re: can I use ILR on old passport after got British Passport

Post by mcovet » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:06 pm

As you will not be giving away your passport if you applied through Nationality Checking Service, and even if sent by post, noone is touching the ILR stamp.

Use it to enter/exit your country and use the Brit passport to enter UK.

crazychris wrote:I will apply for British passport.
Because my native country not allow dual citizenship and it's extraudinary inconvenient to apply for visa from my native country, I have to use my old passport (it's still valid) with ILR when travel to my native country. My question is: will Home office cancel my ILR or endorse sth on my old passport when I apply for British passport?

crazychris

Re: can I use ILR on old passport after got British Passport

Post by crazychris » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:26 pm

the problem is my native country border officer will check all previous entry/exit stamp on my passport. If there is a stamp of exit my native country but without stamp of enter a foreign country afterwards they will suspect that I have another passport. Therefore I must use old passport and ILR to enter UK when I come back from native country.
mcovet wrote:As you will not be giving away your passport if you applied through Nationality Checking Service, and even if sent by post, noone is touching the ILR stamp.

Use it to enter/exit your country and use the Brit passport to enter UK.

crazychris wrote:I will apply for British passport.

nax_72

Post by nax_72 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Every time you enter the UK with your other country passport and UK ILR stamp then you are declaring to the immigration department that you are a foreigner. But after becoming a British citizen if you commit something like this might have serious trouble somewhere.

Also if you are a British citizen then using British passport to enter and exit will keep the record for you with respect to UK. If you need any help from British government if you are away (your home country) then you cannot avail that.

In my humble opinion it is not advisable to keep using foreign passport and UK ILR to enter and leave UK after becoming British citizen when your other country rule does not allow dual nationality.

Ryco1200
Newly Registered

Post by Ryco1200 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:46 pm

crazychris, you shouldn't have a problem. Just make sure then,when travelling to your native country that you enter and exit your country with your native country passport, if you want a stamp in uk as well there is no problem, just enter uk with your native passport,as long as the passport is valid. With regards to entering uk on british passport this does not make any difference what so ever, you can use anything as long as you have a right to enter. It makes no difference. You can be a foreigner or British as and when you please.

ukpl

Post by ukpl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:21 am

Ryco1200 wrote:You can be a foreigner or British as and when you please.
in UK you are British

nax_72

Post by nax_72 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:44 am

ukpl wrote:
Ryco1200 wrote:You can be a foreigner or British as and when you please.
in UK you are British
Not only in the UK in this case. Any where he will be considered only as British as his country is not allowing dual nationality. Only for the immigration officers at the airport he can show his native country passport to enter and exit and also at UK airports. But if something happens and if they have to check then he will be seen only as British.

Also he is going to have his British passport for what, just to use it to travel to enter/exit other countries. In that case he will have record in the immigration he is holding a British passport. But for travelling to his native country he will have another record as foreigner with ILR ...

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:33 pm

1. Using a passport that may be invalid (by virtue of losing citizenship of native country) is illegal. Legal / financial consequences will depend on the laws of the native country.
2. British citizens cannot travel with ILR, but require a "right of abode" stamp in the non-EU foreign passport (if native country allows dual nationality and allows citizens to retain native country passport).
3. If, by virtue of acquiring British citizenship, you cease to be a citizen of native country / any other country that you may be a citizen of, then you are "only British" - anywhere in the world. Holding on to an invalid / illegal passport doesn't change that.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:51 am

U can try the above mentioned but it is only a temporary solution to keep using ilr, as ur passport with ilr is not eternal, u know that. Anyway, the border guards can be told that u never get an exit stamp when leaving uk and when entering, u enter via IRIS system of automatic recognition! Problem o lying to ur native border guards solved! Good luck in doing what u doing

nax_72

Post by nax_72 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:03 am

mcovet wrote:U can try the above mentioned but it is only a temporary solution to keep using ilr, as ur passport with ilr is not eternal, u know that. Anyway, the border guards can be told that u never get an exit stamp when leaving uk and when entering, u enter via IRIS system of automatic recognition! Problem o lying to ur native border guards solved! Good luck in doing what u doing
When entering UK with a foreign passport and no entry stamp for that ...

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:50 am

nax_72 wrote:
mcovet wrote:U can try the above mentioned but it is only a temporary solution to keep using ilr, as ur passport with ilr is not eternal, u know that. Anyway, the border guards can be told that u never get an exit stamp when leaving uk and when entering, u enter via IRIS system of automatic recognition! Problem o lying to ur native border guards solved! Good luck in doing what u doing
When entering UK with a foreign passport and no entry stamp for that ...

Not if u register with IRIS which allows u to pass border control without face2face contact with border force. Googe iris and ukba for more info

bani

Post by bani » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:16 pm

mcovet wrote: Not if u register with IRIS which allows u to pass border control without face2face contact with border force. Googe iris and ukba for more info
This is a very clever solution!

But I don't think there is any problem with using your other passport in the UK with ILR. UK does not require dual nationals to use only their British passports when entering the UK.

And your naturalisation certificate proves you are British, there is no requirement/deadline to apply for a UK passport or a right to abode stamp.