ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply PSW if nigerian passport expires while in uk?

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

culio347
Newly Registered

Apply PSW if nigerian passport expires while in uk?

Post by culio347 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:56 pm

My home country nigerian passport expires in july 2011 but cannot renew it until October 2011 because of a specifically selected interview date to renew it and i intend to apply for a PSW visa in August 2011 in which my student uk visa is still valid until OCTober 2011.

What are the consequences of this? Can i still apply for a post study work visa with an expired nigerian passport whilst still having a valid student uk visa.

What does it mean when your home country passport expires whilst in another country. I dont intend on returning back to do the application of PSW, i want to apply from the UK.

Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:34 pm

You should be able to renew your passport now at your embassy.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

culio347
Newly Registered

Post by culio347 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:19 pm

vinny wrote:You should be able to renew your passport now at your embassy.
But what are the consequences of this if your passport expires. Can yu still apply for a post study work visa whilst in the uk?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:28 pm

UKBA cant accept your expired passport. full stop.

get your passport renewed and apply for psw

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:45 pm

arsenal49 wrote: UKBA cant accept your expired passport. full stop.
What if the passport is valid on the application date but is not valid for the full duration of the visa(anyway, these days you will be issued with BRP for T1(PSW)).

For e.g Passport expires on 30th Oct 2011 and the application date is 2nd May 2011 and I'm assuming he will be issued visa from July/Aug 2011 till July/Aug 2013.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:02 pm

im pretty sure i read somewhere that... at the time of your app, you must have passport valid for 6 months or so....

but i cant back it up from any policy guidance or anything so... i guess take it or leave it :)

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:17 pm

arsenal49 wrote:im pretty sure i read somewhere that... at the time of your app, you must have passport valid for 6 months or so....

but i cant back it up from any policy guidance or anything so... i guess take it or leave it :)
Nowdays, they issue BRP so this 6 months validity makes no sense but I'll wait for some Links!!!

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 pm

but the point is... will they accept your expired or soon-to-be expired passport as a supporting document?

my understanding is this EVIDENCE(i.e. passport) must not be expired or just ABOUT to be expired. otherwise ukba wont accept it as an evidence, thus refusing your app.

im sure someone else can dig up the legal reference from somewhere.

it doesnt matter that visa is no longer stamped on passport! doesnt mean you can send them expired passport thinking your visa wont be stamped on it anyway...

adamnator83

Post by adamnator83 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:04 pm

I am not sure if UKBA can accept expired passport for BRP, but i was issued leave to remain on a4 ISD.

forwardever

Post by forwardever » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:29 am

mate u can reshedule ur appointment for an ealier date or jus go there and explain things to them as long as u have made payment for your new passport they will listen to you,dont make things complicated for yourself...

sunderland2011
Newly Registered

Post by sunderland2011 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:18 pm

I am a Nigerian so I am in a position to give you some candid advice. I just renewed my passport at the Nigerian High Commission, London; the process was very streamlined and you get a new passport issued to you exactly 10 days after the interview with the Immigration officer. My advice to you is to telephone the High commission, explain your peculiar situation to them, and request for an interview date that is closer than your original date of October, 2011. They are very understanding and will sort out a nearer date for you.
Currently, you are on an expired passport; even though your visa is still valid, you do not have a legal status here in the UK. It is best you sort out a new passport as soon as possible before things get complicated for you or you make things complicated for yourself!

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:24 pm

sunderland2011 wrote:I am a Nigerian so I am in a position to give you some candid advice. I just renewed my passport at the Nigerian High Commission, London; the process was very streamlined and you get a new passport issued to you exactly 10 days after the interview with the Immigration officer. My advice to you is to telephone the High commission, explain your peculiar situation to them, and request for an interview date that is closer than your original date of October, 2011. They are very understanding and will sort out a nearer date for you.
Currently, you are on an expired passport; even though your visa is still valid, you do not have a legal status here in the UK. It is best you sort out a new passport as soon as possible before things get complicated for you or you make things complicated for yourself!
The bit about no status is not true. Plenty of people have no passports or expired passports and visas to stay in the UK.

sunderland2011
Newly Registered

Post by sunderland2011 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:24 am

Having an expired passport is the same as having no passport. It means the holder has no valid, legal identity.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:37 am

sunderland2011 wrote:Having an expired passport is the same as having no passport. It means the holder has no valid, legal identity.
Absolute nonsense. There is no requirement in the UK to have an ID card or passport, and many people do not, including overseas nationals. The last time people had to have ID and carry it in the UK was WWII.

I didn't have a passport as a child and I certainly did have a valid legal identity.

To the OP, if you read the application form, if your expired passport is with the Nigerian authorities, there does not appear to be a requirement to provide another one unless you travelled to the UK on anearlier passport.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... k-for1.pdf

The guidance also doesn't say that the applicant must provide a valid passport:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... dance3.pdf

sunderland2011
Newly Registered

Post by sunderland2011 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:28 am

I guess I am wrong then. I just got my Tier 1 post study visa on a new passport because my old passport was due to expire.