ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport for baby and benefits of Indian Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mskemails
Newly Registered

British passport for baby and benefits of Indian Passport

Post by mskemails » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:22 pm

I came to know that UKBA will not issue any dependent visa for a child born in the UK for the parents on ILR, the child is a BritishCitizen by default. (just need to get the UK passport from UK Passport office)

but I feel that if the child has its OWN proofs linked with India (apart from their parents origin)will be useful in future ( I dont know what are the benefits - need to explore... any idea???)

to achive this I can register the baby with Indian Embassy and get Indian passport, (Surrender that immedilaty, I think they will cancel the passport and handover it to us) then apply for BritishPassport

can any one tell me is this ok ? does the child really need Indian passport (eventhough cancelled) as a proof for future ?

Is there any major difference (interms of education, short/long term stay in India, any inherited properties ) between

Child with British Passport with OCI/PIO card AND
Child with its own cancelled Indian Passport and British Passport with OCI/PIO card

can any one guide me here?

MSK

gg234

Re: British passport for baby and benefits of Indian Passpor

Post by gg234 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Child with its own cancelled Indian Passport and British Passport with OCI/PIO card

From my point of view both are same either way you have to take PIO/OCI final result will be same

mskemails wrote:I came to know that UKBA will not issue any dependent visa for a child born in the UK for the parents on ILR, the child is a BritishCitizen by default. (just need to get the UK passport from UK Passport office)

but I feel that if the child has its OWN proofs linked with India (apart from their parents origin)will be useful in future ( I dont know what are the benefits - need to explore... any idea???)

to achive this I can register the baby with Indian Embassy and get Indian passport, (Surrender that immedilaty, I think they will cancel the passport and handover it to us) then apply for BritishPassport

can any one tell me is this ok ? does the child really need Indian passport (eventhough cancelled) as a proof for future ?

Is there any major difference (interms of education, short/long term stay in India, any inherited properties ) between

can any one guide me here?

MSK

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:10 pm

I'm in the same boat and was thinking the same thing that the baby should be Indian as we are but we have established ourselves in the UK, bought property etc so really there is no benefit from keeping Indian passport. With a PIO/OCI card there will be no need for visas to India and British passport affords ease of travel to so many countries.

From what I've read/been advised, PIO card(which applies to minors) will offer the same benefits/rights as being a NRI(which you are now) apart from voting rights.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:07 pm

PG1983 wrote:I'm in the same boat and was thinking the same thing that the baby should be Indian as we are but we have established ourselves in the UK, bought property etc so really there is no benefit from keeping Indian passport. With a PIO/OCI card there will be no need for visas to India and British passport affords ease of travel to so many countries.

From what I've read/been advised, PIO card(which applies to minors) will offer the same benefits/rights as being a NRI(which you are now) apart from voting rights.
PIO does not apply only to minors. I know a guy who has a PIO and he is 19 yrs old. PIO applies to people who were born in a foreign land and their parents were once Indian Passport Holders or OCI Holders.