ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

senthil_1977
Newly Registered

MN1

Post by senthil_1977 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Dear members,
My wife is tier 1 visa holder and I am her dependant. We both are planning to apply for ILR in a few weeks. We have 2 children, both were born in this country. By section 1(3) of nationality act, they both should be eligible for naturalisation once we get ILR.
My questions are
1. Can I apply for their naturalisation through MN1 form without them getting ILR stamped in their passports. My interpretation is, I should be able to. This would save me nearly £1400.
2. If yes, to the previous question, then question 1.3 of MN1 forms asks for date of ILR stamped. I would not be able to fill up this question.
3. Qn 2.1 - since the child was born in UK - this should be their date of birth. Is that correct?

Many thanks for your time
regards
Senthil

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:07 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

senthil_1977
Newly Registered

Post by senthil_1977 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Dear Vinny,
Thanks for your prompt response. The link that you have given answers my first question. So should I be leaving the question 1.3 blank?
Regarding the third question - is date of birth fine for the date of their first arrival to the country.
Thanks again
Senthil

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:48 pm

You need to have been granted ILR first, before child can make the MN1 application. You will know the date of when you were granted ILR as it will appear on the ILR stamp.

Date of birth is probably correct as his first entry in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

senthil_1977
Newly Registered

Post by senthil_1977 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks again Vinny.
However the question 1.3 refers when the child had ILR. That's where my dilemma arises. I am not sure whether to leave it blank or enter my ILR date, which in effect would be a lie.
Regards
Senthil.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:10 pm

Oops. Sorry. I answered too fast without looking at the form. I thought that the question referred to a parent's ILR as child's status is not relevant in 1(3) applications. If it asks about the child's ILR, then I think you can also put "Not applicable - born in UK" or, indeed, leave it blank. The question does say "If and when ..."

senthil_1977
Newly Registered

Post by senthil_1977 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Dear Vinny
Thank you very much for your prompt responses. Much appreciated.
Would you be able to suggest an immigration lawyer who can apply these on our behalf. I am planningto go to India in July.
I have to get ILRs for myself and my wife, MN1 forms for my children, then get British passports for them. Subsequent to this we have to surrender their indian passports and also get OCI cards for them. Too many steps. The reason I would like to avail solicitor services is that they can probably do this a little faster.
Many thanks for your time.
Senthil

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 pm

senthil_1977
Newly Registered

Post by senthil_1977 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Dear Vinny,
Thanks again for your response. I had contacted the sunrise solicitors. Both the partners vehemantly deny the possibility of applying for the children born in UK to apply for naturalisation directly once we get our ILR's. So do not want to take their services. Anyway their charge is also very high - £600 per service.
Have spoken to my friends who went through the MN1 and passport applications, who had only a week to wait for each of the process. Being reassured by this.
I have a question about ILR. I am under the impression that combination of work permit, HSMP and ILR count towards 5 year period. Previous versions of guidance forms (SET (O)) does quote this. However the latest version (11/4/11) does not specify that. My wife had work permit initially 2 months later got HSMP and 2 years after that got Tier 1. Can you please advice me on this. I will be grateful if you could give me a link with regards to this.

Apologies for extending my queries from MN1 to ILR in the same thread.

take care
Senthil

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:37 pm

senthil_1977
Newly Registered

Post by senthil_1977 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi,
I was reading the guidelines for mn1 application. The only documents which I need to send are children's passports, birth certificates and our marriage certificate. There is no provision to send our passports. Is that correct? Or do I send our passports anyway.

Secondly, they state that they will send the documents in secure posts. What do they mean by it. Will it be safer for me to send a self addressed envelope.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Senthil

Markie

Post by Markie » Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 am

they normally send docs 2nd class...better use a prepaid envelope...just make sure you have the correct postage.

senthil_1977 wrote:Hi,
I was reading the guidelines for mn1 application. The only documents which I need to send are children's passports, birth certificates and our marriage certificate. There is no provision to send our passports. Is that correct? Or do I send our passports anyway.

Secondly, they state that they will send the documents in secure posts. What do they mean by it. Will it be safer for me to send a self addressed envelope.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Senthil

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Sat May 14, 2011 11:35 am

Hello senthil_1977

have you managed to get the ILR and where are you with MN1 for children? please let me know as i am in the same situation.

thanks.

senthil_1977
Newly Registered

Post by senthil_1977 » Sat May 14, 2011 11:45 am

Hi
Have got ILRs for myself and my wife. Have sent the application for MN1 for my children on 5th May. Still awaiting. Will let you know the outcome.
TC,
Senthil

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Sat May 14, 2011 1:12 pm

senthil_1977 wrote:Hi
Have got ILRs for myself and my wife. Have sent the application for MN1 for my children on 5th May. Still awaiting. Will let you know the outcome.
TC,
Senthil
Thanks Senthil.

how much is the fees for MN1? also did you use NCS for applying for registration? if yes did they said that it is ok to go for Registration? does your children have indian passport and do they have any UK visa stampped on those?

senthil_1977
Newly Registered

Post by senthil_1977 » Sat May 14, 2011 1:30 pm

I included both my children in the application. So the fees was £810.00, which i noticed that has been deducted from my credit card probably in the last 2 days.
I did not use NCS - I'm not sure whether MN1 application can be checked by them. My understanding is that they check passport applications. Please ask the senior members who can assist you in this further.
My son - 4 years old had tier 1 dependant visa, which in effect is invalid, as the main applicant has switched to ILR, although the visa states it is valid till end of July.
my daughter, 3 months old has no visa on her passport.
All of us are Indian nationals.

cheers
Senthil

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Tue May 17, 2011 9:16 pm

Hello Senthil,

Quick question - what documents have you submitted for registration application for children?

ilrdilemma
Newly Registered

Post by ilrdilemma » Thu May 26, 2011 11:28 am

senthil_1977 wrote:I included both my children in the application. So the fees was £810.00, which i noticed that has been deducted from my credit card probably in the last 2 days.
I did not use NCS - I'm not sure whether MN1 application can be checked by them. My understanding is that they check passport applications. Please ask the senior members who can assist you in this further.
My son - 4 years old had tier 1 dependant visa, which in effect is invalid, as the main applicant has switched to ILR, although the visa states it is valid till end of July.
my daughter, 3 months old has no visa on her passport.
All of us are Indian nationals.

cheers
Senthil
Hello Senthil, I am exactly in the same situation as yours. Did you receive the nationality registartion certificates for your kids. Was there any gap between you getting your ILR and applying your kids MN1 form. Please share your expriences.

senthil_1977
Newly Registered

Post by senthil_1977 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:42 pm

Dear all,
My children's naturalisation application has been successful and their certificates have arrived.
Timescale
application posted on 5/5/11
recorded delivery delivered on 10/5/11
money taken from my account on 13/5/11
date on the certificate - 23/5/11
delivered to my house - 26/5/11

@mayanonisland - I sent the children's passport, birth certificate, our marriage certificate & photocopy of our passport with ILR stamping page.

@ilrdilemma - i received ilr on 2/5/11 and applied on 5/5/11.

My sincere thanks to the guys running this forum. Based on your sound advice, i took the step of skipping my childrens ilr application and straight away applied for naturalisation. You have saved me £1350.00

regards
Senthil

ilrdilemma
Newly Registered

Post by ilrdilemma » Sat May 28, 2011 11:38 pm

senthil_1977 wrote:Dear all,
My children's naturalisation application has been successful and their certificates have arrived.
Timescale
application posted on 5/5/11
recorded delivery delivered on 10/5/11
money taken from my account on 13/5/11
date on the certificate - 23/5/11
delivered to my house - 26/5/11

@mayanonisland - I sent the children's passport, birth certificate, our marriage certificate & photocopy of our passport with ILR stamping page.

@ilrdilemma - i received ilr on 2/5/11 and applied on 5/5/11.

My sincere thanks to the guys running this forum. Based on your sound advice, i took the step of skipping my childrens ilr application and straight away applied for naturalisation. You have saved me £1350.00

regards
Senthil
Hi Senthil, Thanks for your response. I will also follow the same steps as you did. Just one question: Did your kids had dependent visa before you got your ILR ? Were they on Tier 1 dependent or Tier 2 dependent etc. My son is on Tier 1 dependent and i did not include him in the ILR application when I applied for my ILR. Would this be any issue since their dependent visa is no more valid (at least in theory) since i changed my status from Tier 1 to ILR.

senthil_1977
Newly Registered

Post by senthil_1977 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:48 pm

My son had tier 1 dependant visa. My daughter had no visa, as she was recently born. In theory, yes, their visa is invalid. But apparently, their visa status is irrelavant for MN1 application. Go ahead and apply for your childs naturalisation. Best wishes
Senthil

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Sun May 29, 2011 2:42 pm

senthil_1977 wrote:I sent the children's passport, birth certificate, our marriage certificate & photocopy of our passport with ILR stamping page.
Thanks for letting me know Senthil. So you didn't sent your ORIGINAL passport with ILR stamped on it? also did you send it via secure delivery with prepaid secure delivery envelope or without? please let me know as i will be applying shortly.

senthil_1977
Newly Registered

Post by senthil_1977 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Yes, I did not send my original passport with ILR stamp on it.
I sent the application through first class recorded delivery and did not enclose any return special delivery envelope.
Senthil

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Sun May 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Also what did you do about references.. whose references have you taken they require one - professional who has engaged with the child in a professional capacity, such as a teacher, health visitor, social worker or minister of religion.

What has you done in this regards.. my daughter is 2 yrs old and as such does not go to school yet.

senthil_1977
Newly Registered

Post by senthil_1977 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:22 pm

You can ask the health visitor or the doctor from your surgery. They might refuse to do so, which they did for us.
We had child care arrangement, so was able to get the signature from one of them.
I dont know further, how you can address this. I did think of having my professional friends for the signature, but it would be lying. However my other friends have done that and had no problem.
Can senior members help in this?