ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to Citizenship for family

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

PG1983

ILR to Citizenship for family

Post by PG1983 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:49 pm

I would really appreciate some guidance from the moderators on this forum if possible. I am really confused as to what will be the best course of action to take.

First some background, I was on a WP for 5 years from Sep 2005. Got married in India Feb 2010 and my wife joined me in the UK as a dependent in March 2010. We were both granted ILR in Sep 2010. Now, we're expecting a baby in June and we are thinking of taking the baby to India to visit family in Oct 2011. So from my understanding, I can apply for Naturalisation for the baby after being born. I can apply for Naturalisation in Sep 2011 but my wife cannot until March 2013.
In terms of cost/ease of process, which will be the better option:

1.)To get an Indian passport for the baby when born and then apply for Naturalisation alongwith myself when we come back from India.
2.)Or register the baby when born and then I apply in Sep 2011 followed by my wife in March 2013. But then I'll have to get either an Indian visa for us both or OCI card in time for October. From my understanding it's not a quick process getting an OCI card so am really reluctant.
3.) We apply for Indian passport for the baby, and we all apply together for Naturalisation in March 2013.
4.) Any other better suggestion which I have missed?

Please let me know your thoughts/suggestion.

Thanks,

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:39 pm

1. It is only when you and your wife apply for naturalisation together that you'll be able to save money.
2. You'll have to pay for the child's application irrespective of whether the application is submitted along with any adult's or separately (i.e. - no difference in fees for joint application with adult).
3. Cost of Indian passport and visa is per applicant, so there is no cost saving there.

You can do the maths yourself for all the options you have listed and figure out which is the most economical or suits you the best.

And, adults apply for naturalisation and minors apply for registration as British citizens.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:34 am

@sushdmehta: from what you're saying and other forum posts that I've read, it's relatively simple to register the child as British and apply for British passport and subsequently Indian visa. I can then apply for naturalisation when we come back and there's no time pressure.

Any other forum members on ILR who have gone through similar situation, I'd appreciate any guidance.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:42 am

PG1983 wrote:We were both granted ILR in Sep 2010. Now, we're expecting a baby in June
See also Citizenship for new baby
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:43 pm

PG1983 wrote:@sushdmehta: from what you're saying and other forum posts that I've read, it's relatively simple to register the child as British and apply for British passport and subsequently Indian visa. I can then apply for naturalisation when we come back and there's no time pressure.
If either parent has settled status when the child is born in the UK, the child is British by birth. So, in your case there is no need for "registration of child as British citizen". You may apply for British passport for the child straight away.

It is entirely your choice as to when you wish to apply for naturalisation.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:44 pm

@sushdmehta & @vinny: Yes thanks, that's been cleared up now. I've been reading the other posts on this forum and have found the same thing. I'm going to apply for British passport for the baby and get a PIO card.