ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What will change for Settlement?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

xleft
- thin ice -

What will change for Settlement?

Post by xleft » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:06 pm

I wonder what may change for Settlement rules in UK after I read David Cameron speech: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13083781
PERMANENT SETTLEMENT

But as I said in a speech in opposition, what matters most is not who comes into the country but who stays.

Of course there are fair and legitimate reasons for people who arrive here temporarily to stay here permanently.

But the figures clearly suggest that many gain temporary entry into the UK with no plans to leave.

More than a fifth of students who entered Britain in 2004 were still here five years later - and many were supposed to be coming to study short courses.

But the most significant route to permanent settlement is the economic migration route.

Last year, 84,000 people who initially came on a work visa got the right to settle here.

I want Britain to continue to attract the best workers.

But it cannot be right that people coming to fill short-term skills gaps can stay long-term.

As the Cross-Party Balanced Migration Group has argued, it is essential we break that link between temporary visas and permanent settlement.

They are right - that's what this Government is determined to do…

…and we will consult on how best to proceed on this in the coming months.

Markie

Re: What will change for Settlement (Cameron speech) ?

Post by Markie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:28 pm

work visa + residency = settlement will be a thing of the past! Slowly, the changes are being implemented now.
xleft wrote:I wonder what may change for Settlement rules in UK after I read David Cameron speech: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13083781
PERMANENT SETTLEMENT

But as I said in a speech in opposition, what matters most is not who comes into the country but who stays.

Of course there are fair and legitimate reasons for people who arrive here temporarily to stay here permanently.

But the figures clearly suggest that many gain temporary entry into the UK with no plans to leave.

More than a fifth of students who entered Britain in 2004 were still here five years later - and many were supposed to be coming to study short courses.

But the most significant route to permanent settlement is the economic migration route.

Last year, 84,000 people who initially came on a work visa got the right to settle here.

But it cannot be right that people coming to fill short-term skills gaps can stay long-term.

As the Cross-Party Balanced Migration Group has argued, it is essential we break that link between temporary visas and permanent settlement.

They are right - that's what this Government is determined to do…

…and we will consult on how best to proceed on this in the coming months.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:12 pm

Do you mean that UK will try to attract workers but without giving them permanent status even after they lived here for many years? How long will it take to implement it? Will there be transitional arrangements?

HSMP is history now but workers still can apply for ILR at the moment after living for 5 years on Work Permit.

And what about students? They will introduce limit of 8 years, right? So each person will not be able to study in UK for more than 8 years in total in their lifetime?

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:26 pm

xleft wrote:Do you mean that UK will try to attract workers but without giving them permanent status even after they lived here for many years? How long will it take to implement it? Will there be transitional arrangements?

HSMP is history now but workers still can apply for ILR at the moment after living for 5 years on Work Permit.

And what about students? They will introduce limit of 8 years, right? So each person will not be able to study in UK for more than 8 years in total in their lifetime?
Uk is the only country who apply rules retrospectively to Immigrants. No other country such as usa, canada, australia applies rules retrospectively to immigrants. All new rules apply to new iimigrants only. Uk government is a traitor government. they bring immigrants saying 'uk will be your home' then after their purpose is solved ( getting tax etc) they will say now to go hell bye bye..by chaging goal post every now and then. they did same hundred years ago when they enter a new country in the name of east India company claiming they came to do business and later on invade that country. They are doing same in modern way!! They will keep on doing it.. :twisted: :evil:

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:33 pm

nionlight, take it easy. I understand your anger but it is useless, it does not solve anything. Can we please stick to the topic and discuss it without too much emotions.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:08 pm

xleft wrote:Do you mean that UK will try to attract workers but without giving them permanent status even after they lived here for many years?
Yes.

How long will it take to implement it? Will there be transitional arrangements?
No one knows, your best bet is to wait for the consultation.

Correct with some exception's, I guess!!
I think, no one will be coming to UK anymore, full stop!!!!!

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Many Arabic countries do not give nationality but people want to go there...

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:27 pm

Sky_High wrote:Many Arabic countries do not give nationality but people want to go there...
I don't think so!!!

Even, if people want to go there, its fair, because they know from start that one day, they have to go HOME :)

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:
Sky_High wrote:Many Arabic countries do not give nationality but people want to go there...
I don't think so!!!

Even, if people want to go there, its fair, because they know from start that one day, they have to go HOME :)
We still do not know if they want to apply only on new commers or on the people already in the system.

This is a clear message from govt. since last year that they will break the link between temp. stay and ILR but you can see how many people applied for work permits and T1 visa etc. Yes - this will affect the huge inflow of people but will not casue any shortage of immigrants to UK.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Sky_High wrote:
Aryan2013 wrote:
I don't think so!!!

Yes - this will affect the huge inflow of people but will not casue any shortage of immigrants to UK.
Yes, It will cause shortage in the very precise category that this govt. wants to attract to these shores i.e the 'Brightest and the Best'.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:25 pm

I wonder what exactly they will do.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:50 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Thanks, Vinny. There is also another article here: http://www.migrantsrights.org.uk/blog/2 ... mmigration

And this is quite serious article from Oxford:

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.u ... -thousands

Another nice link to BBC Daily View: Reactions to Cameron's immigration speech: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/seealso/2011 ... amero.html

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:42 pm

This is all about positive immigration:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... on-economy

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:This is all about positive immigration:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... on-economy

"David Cameron's great-great-grandfather, Emile Levita, a German-Jewish financier, came to this country as a migrant in the 1850s and obtained British citizenship in 1871."
Great article! :lol:

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:47 pm

ash786 wrote:By reading and listening the PM speech, i have gathered the following important information.

1. In his speech he mentioned the " Cross Party Balanced Migration Group" and said that wat has been suggested and argued by this group, will be considered significantly.
2. I do not think that the Long Term Route will be changed or amended.
3. This group talks about breaking the "Link between the temporary migration to permanent"
4. Now one needs to understand what do they mean by that, as looking at their web site and aims, it suggetses the following.
5. All the working visa categories shud be given a temporary visa which does not lead to settlement after 4 years.
6. So the visa will be given for 4 years and at the end HO wud expect you to return home to use this experience.
7. You wud not be allowed to switch in the country but will have to return home.
8. There will be another points sytem to select migrants for settlemnet.

All this is on their web site and that was said last year and government is doing exactly wat this report has suggested last year. You can find it by following the link below and read the full report.

http://www.balancedmigration.com/briefi ... ieldMP.pdf

Lets see wat happens now.........
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Nice link and analysis, ash786. Thank you. 8)

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:58 pm

The Home Secretary, Theresa May, on 5 November 2010 said in her speech "If people enter this country saying that they will only stay here temporarily, then it is obvious that they should only stay here temporarily.

Working in Britain for a short period should not give someone the right to settle in Britain. Studying a course in Britain should not give someone the right to settle in Britain.

Settling in Britain should be a cherished right, not an automatic add on to a temporary way in.
"

Recently Mr. Cameron has to say this on settlement "I want Britain to continue to attract the best workers. But it cannot be right that people coming to fill short-term skills gaps can stay long-term.

They are right – that's what this Government is determined to do … and we will consult on how best to proceed on this in the coming months.
"

As you can see, Mr. Cameron is not even mentioning students, when he talks about settlement.
As far as I can see, limiting student visa's to 8 years has solved many problem's on the settlement argument and I think on work visa, they will again limit the total stay to 3 or 4 years and then you have to go back home.

I think, its safe to assume that they will leave Long residence route as it is, but may bring some minor changes.

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Another nice article from The Economist:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/bagehot/ ... tive_party
So this was a conscious decision to immigration purely and simply as a way to reassure unhappy Conservatives that their leader is one of them. What does that say about the Conservatives? That if they cannot have lower taxes or a fight with Europe, they will settle for a speech saying that too many foreigners turned up in Britain over the last decade? That seems to me like a pretty odd way to go about tackling a supposedly "divided society".

Blackwater1

Post by Blackwater1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:09 pm

I wonder whether this government will stay in power for long!!!The AV system vote is the first litmus test..
On my tomb there will be...''I DIDN'T FORWARD THE TEXT TO 15 PEOPLE''

tier1extn1
Newly Registered

Post by tier1extn1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Pls don't jump upon me of scaremongering.. etc., etc.,
Just a genuine question. Cameron's speech refers to

"Last year, 84,000 people who initially came on a work visa got the right to settle here.

But it cannot be right that people coming to fill short-term skills gaps can stay long-term. ".

Does this mean it may affect those who are on work permit already when they apply for ILR.

In my case, I came on WP and switched to Tier1 later.. am wondering would they consider the WP period..

Also, does anyone have an idea....

how long the consultations usually run for?

Once done, what is the usual time gap when they introduce these policies in place??

Any insights would help

xleft
- thin ice -

Post by xleft » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Very good questions tier1extn1.

Unfortunately, I can't answer most of them but I was thinking myself about it.

Regarding how long consultation runs and how long changes will take.
If we look at Post-Study and Student changes, for me it was quite clear they are going to cancel Post-Study during summer 2010. They announced it recently but actual end of Post-Study will be April 2012. The same with student visa changes. So it took almost 2 years between initial declarations in political speeches until implemented rules. I hope it will take even more with Settlement because it's more serious area. However, nobody can be 100% sure it will be the same speed. But I don't think it can be much more faster.

Regarding your concern if it can affect your case. I don't know. I would say they absolutely MUST provide long transitional arrangements for people who already in the country. What they will actually do, god knows. From my own experience, they are not particularly nasty, nor humane. Expect something in the middle... they don't want to look too cruel but they also don't want to look too weak.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :wink:

jager

Post by jager » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:30 pm

tier1extn1 wrote:Also, does anyone have an idea....

how long the consultations usually run for?

Once done, what is the usual time gap when they introduce these policies in place??
Consultations last between 6 weeks and 3 months, after which there's a govt response to the consultation, and then usually another few months before new policy is implemented.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... ns/closed/

As it seems that the next thing on the agenda is the family route, not settlement, anyone applying for ILR in the next few months should be safe (fingers crossed).

tier1extn1
Newly Registered

Post by tier1extn1 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:27 pm

Many might have already read this link..

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

But I found some interesting bits
As we tighten our entry criteria it is also logical to restrict our settlement criteria to
ensure that only the brightest and best and those the country needs are able to
stay in the UK permanently. The Government’s aim is to introduce greater
selectivity to the immigration system so that we have more control over those
who enter and those who remain. The restrictions on numbers entering will
therefore be complemented by an increase in those leaving the UK and
contribute to the net migration target. The April rules changes will contribute to
this objective.
Since April 2010 those entering on the Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) route
have no longer been able to settle after 5 years in the UK. We plan to
reinforce the temporary nature of the ICT route by limiting ICT migrants’ stay
in the UK to a maximum of 5 years and removing any right to settlement. We
also plan to stop granting further leave to remain to migrants who have not
passed the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement when
eligible to apply for ILR. We will apply these policies to new migrants who
enter the UK from April 2011 only. Thus there will be no impact on net
migration until after these migrants’ leave expires in 2016. This is outside the
scope of this impact assessment.
[/quote]

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:55 am

More details will be in the upcoming consultation.

All this talk is about economic/temporary migrants, no mention of Long Residents/Refugees/irregular migrants??