ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

South African wife and Finnish spous.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

muck
Newly Registered
Portugal

South African wife and Finnish spous.

Post by muck » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:12 pm

We want to stay in the UK for a few years to explore Europe before we retire back in South Africa. Our children have been living in the UK for 3 years on Finnish passports.
I have a Finnish PP and my wife has a South African PP.
Can my wife stay for 3 years?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

charlesnd
Newly Registered

Re: South African wife and Finnish spous.

Post by charlesnd » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:03 pm

muck wrote:We want to stay in the UK for a few years to explore Europe before we retire back in South Africa. Our children have been living in the UK for 3 years on Finnish passports.
You need a family permit to accompany your wife and kids,your wife doesn'tneed to excercise treaty rights the first 3months,after that your wife needs to either study,work, self sufficient or self employed to be exercising a treaty right. once you are here and yr wife is exercising treaty right of some sort,you then apply for a residence card which is valid for 5 years.its very easy if you can read,nothing is complicated if you use eroupean route and yr case is straight forward.

If you are coming with kids,l mean all of you and your wife doesn't have a job,hopefully your purse is a bit full beause they will want to know how you will maintain yourselves until you get a job or she gets a job.If you pass the family permit huddle and you are here and she is exercising a treaty right of some sort,you have six months to work using your family permit visa before it expires.In the mean time once you are here and she is exercising a treaty right you can apply for your residence card.
Hope this gives you a head start on what you need to do.

charlesnd
Newly Registered

Re: South African wife and Finnish spous.

Post by charlesnd » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:44 pm

charlesnd wrote:
muck wrote:We want to stay in the UK for a few years to explore Europe before we retire back in South Africa. Our children have been living in the UK for 3 years on Finnish passports.
You need a family permit to accompany your wife and kids,your wife doesn'tneed to excercise treaty rights the first 3months,after that your wife needs to either study,work, self sufficient or self employed to be exercising a treaty right. once you are here and yr wife is exercising treaty right of some sort,you then apply for a residence card which is valid for 5 years.its very easy if you can read,nothing is complicated if you use eroupean route and yr case is straight forward.

If you are coming with kids,l mean all of you and your wife doesn't have a job,hopefully your purse is a bit full beause they will want to know how you will maintain yourselves until you get a job or she gets a job.If you pass the family permit huddle and you are here and she is exercising a treaty right of some sort,you have six months to work using your family permit visa before it expires.In the mean time once you are here and she is exercising a treaty right you can apply for your residence card.
Hope this gives you a head start on what you need to do.

Apologies,its not you but your wife who has to follow the above statement.lf you are already here and she is here and you are exercising a treaty right,all she needs to do is apply for a residence card.

muck
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by muck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:05 pm

My wife earns GBP 6K per month from a trust in South Africa. We don't intend working in the UK or living there permanently. Our home language is English.
2 to 3 years will do until our kids have completed their education there.
Thanks for the info.