ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming benefits in France with non EU spouse

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

skele

Claiming benefits in France with non EU spouse

Post by skele » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Living in France with non EU spouse, he has 1 year residence card instead of 5 years which he will have to renew each year. He has been unable to find work and we cannot survive on only one income. I know that I can apply for government assistance to pay rent etc, as I am an EU citizen but will this affect my spouse's residence card when he has to renew it? I know there's something in the Directive about having sufficient funds or employment before getting the residence card, so I don't want to apply if it means they can refuse to renew his card. Any help would be appreciated.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:53 pm

So you are an EU citizen and you are working, and your husband is non-EU and he is not working?

Contact http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/ for advice (in the language of your choice) about help with the rent. If I remember correctly, help with the rent is not a problem.

From the European Comission http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies/ci ... _ec_en.pdf
Social assistance comes under the scope of the Treaty because it
is a social advantage. You are therefore entitled to invoke equal
treatment in the host Member State.

Does the host Member State provide for an extra benefit for low income
families to support their housing costs? If yes, you are
entitled to apply for such benefit and you will be treated just as any
national of that State.