ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do you need a full 1 year on ILR for British Citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

xpscapable
Australia

Do you need a full 1 year on ILR for British Citizenship?

Post by xpscapable » Wed May 04, 2011 7:43 pm

If I have 5.5 years on Tier 1 and applied for my ILR, can I just wait for 6 months then apply for citizenship? Or do I have to wait for a full year on ILR and only then I can get British citizenship?

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Wed May 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Unless you are a sposue of a British citizen you need to be free of immigration restrictions (I.e.ILR) for 12 months.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed May 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Yes, unless you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen (and applying on that basis), you need to have held settled status – in this case ILR – for at least 12 months before applying for naturalisation.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Mrs Khan

Post by Mrs Khan » Thu May 05, 2011 5:38 pm

I got my ILR in Aug 2010 but completed my five year stay in UK on 10th April 2011 and applied recently for naturalization. Technically i dint had an ILR for 12 months but i was covered under HSMP Judicial Review, & did get a letter from Home office that i was considered free from Immigration restriction since April 2010.

I hope i made a right decision of applying for naturalization now or will loose fee.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri May 06, 2011 9:30 am

Mrs Khan wrote:i was covered under HSMP Judicial Review, & did get a letter from Home office that i was considered free from Immigration restriction since April 2010.

I hope i made a right decision of applying for naturalization now or will loose fee.
You'll be fine - include a copy of the letter with the application.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!