ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Relocating to England - Any comments/suggegtions appreciated

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

JACKY123

Relocating to England - Any comments/suggegtions appreciated

Post by JACKY123 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi there,

I am planning to relocate to England in next 2 months with my family and kids. I am going to look for a Job in IT for Business Analyst or Project Manager role. I have 14 year of Insurance domain IT systems development experience. I do have a EU Citizen ship and no VISA issues. Currently I am in Ireland.

If I apply from Ireland and I am not getting much responce from Agents or employers. Do you think will make any differnce if I try from England ?

How is the job market for IT in Essex or Herts couties or anywhere in England ?

Is it riskier to move without a job ?

Pls post your comments/suggegtions

Thanks in advance

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Re: Relocating to England - Any comments/suggegtions appreci

Post by mulderpf » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:58 am

JACKY123 wrote:If I apply from Ireland and I am not getting much responce from Agents or employers. Do you think will make any differnce if I try from England ?
Are you saying you have applied or are you just asking? I put my CV out to a few job sites before I left South Africa and the amount of calls I received blew me away. I made it very clear on my CV that I was not yet in the UK - several agents just sent me emails, asking me to contact them, but most just phoned me.

You have to just make sure that you have some sort of goal (e.g a week in which you can spend attending F2F interviews), because all my calls were to arrange for interviews once I'd arrived.

Having looked for BA jobs myself, I can tell you what the market was like between February and April - there were lots of jobs in the London area. I had a couple of jobs in Hertfordshire (but needed to be within commutable distance to London) and only two in Essex (I initially stayed in Essex, so my CV said Essex). However, these offers were despite making it clear that I wanted a central London job.

The only thing with insurance companies (especially London), is that they tend to think and act like they do insurance like nowhere else. There are lots of companies with sickeningly big egos.

Other than that is that there are LOADS of jobs out there for the taking. I could have easily attended interviews at about 12 to 15 different companies and probably took around 5 to 6 calls a day for two months. Initially I attended every interview, but you end up having to be picky, because there are a lot of time-wasters out there too (low pay being the most frequent reason for rejecting an employer).

JACKY123

Post by JACKY123 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi mulderpf

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean it would not make any difference whether I apply from Ireland or staying in UK and I will still get calls ?

I am also planning to go to Essex (Chelmsford). Do you mind sending a email which company in Essex is recruiting ?

Pls share me companies name who are currently recruiting if you can. It seems market is slightly quiter than April.

any more info appreciated.

regards.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:16 am

All I am saying is that you should rather kick-start your job-hunting before moving over. It will give you a much needed headstart and agencies don't seem to mind.

As to which companies are recruiting in Essex - I don't know at the moment - you'll have to look for the jobs yourself - I was looking back between February and April - any company which hasn't found anyone yet from February is obviously not seriously looking.

Good luck!

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:05 am

Always take advice from us members with a pinch of salt. I say this because job hunting and bagging that great offer is all very dependant on the candidate in question.
A really quick look on Cityjobs throws up so many BA roles - both contracts and perm roles with salaries from as low as £35k to as high as £85k - but these are all dependant on the candidate, their experience, their exposure to clients, years in a particular domain etc

So though mulderpf found the going easy, you may either find it a lot more easier or not so simple. From what you have posted, it seems you are not finding it too easy so work on your CV being slick and keep an eye on all job portals - its so easy in Europe to look for roles as there are a million websites and you really dont need anyone's help in getting an idea of how the market is currently.

All the best
KP