ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Consultation on changes to employment-related settlement

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Pierrot95

Consultation on changes to employment-related settlement

Post by Pierrot95 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:31 am

The consultation document on how the Government intends to cut the link between temporary and permanent migration will be published today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... le-UK.html

Pierrot95

Post by Pierrot95 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:55 am

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:58 am

I have to say, I am very pleased with this document. All the proposed changes will only apply to those who entered the country after April 2011:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

psdesai
BANNED

Post by psdesai » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:03 am

WOW :x

From the document

"We will be
consulting, however, on whether Tier 1 exceptional talent migrants should have an automatic
route to settlement and whether we should remove the ability of all Tier 1 migrants to apply
for further leave to remain after five years in the UK."
"Freedom is your very nature. Only with freedom, do joy, generosity and other human values blossom. Without freedom, attitudes become stifling, concepts become a burden, information has no value and imagination becomes stagnant."

Polat
BANNED

Post by Polat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:35 am

ukswus wrote:I have to say, I am very pleased with this document. All the proposed changes will only apply to those who entered the country after April 2011:

where is it mentioned that wll be apply for those entered the UK after April 2011 ???

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:37 am

Polat wrote:
ukswus wrote:I have to say, I am very pleased with this document. All the proposed changes will only apply to those who entered the country after April 2011:

where is it mentioned that wll be apply for those entered the UK after April 2011 ???
page 12:

"Apply these changes to those entering the points-based system from April 2011."

Page 16:

"Now we intend to embark on a more radical overhaul of the settlement rules to break the automatic link between coming to work and staying permanently. We propose to apply these new settlement criteria to those entering Tiers 1 and 2 from April 2011."
Last edited by ukswus on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

fraser
Newly Registered

Post by fraser » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:37 am

Page 12 of the document.

There's no mention at all on the 10/14 year settlement routes?

Polat
BANNED

Post by Polat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:54 am

well but in this case no one will accept to come and work in the UK since they know that they should leave the country in 3 or 5 years ....
maybe due to the current economic situation they dont want people to come and work .. but what if this changed in future and they discovered that they need more people ot come and work ...

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:26 pm

Polat wrote:well but in this case no one will accept to come and work in the UK since they know that they should leave the country in 3 or 5 years
I have to say that if I had been told, when offered employment the UK, that I would probably have to leave after 3 years, I would have just gone back home to America (was living in Austria). No sense in wasting my or the company's time. 3 years just wouldn't be enough of a period to put the investment in that that office needed from my skill set, and to see those results through. (Glad this 3 year cap wasn't in place as I ended up meeting my wife here!)

But this is what they want; exactly that kind of trickle down of immigration. Perhaps the situation will change later on for visa-nationals, but I think that it won't, atleast not for a long time.

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:49 pm

ukswus wrote:
Polat wrote:

page 12:

"Apply these changes to those entering the points-based system from April 2011."

Page 16:

"Now we intend to embark on a more radical overhaul of the settlement rules to break the automatic link between coming to work and staying permanently. We propose to apply these new settlement criteria to those entering Tiers 1 and 2 from April 2011."
Tier-1 is abolished from April 2011. How in da world they are saying "entering Tiers 1 and 2 from April 2011". I wonder what they really drink when they introduce this kind of law...
Last edited by nionlight on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polat
BANNED

Post by Polat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:56 pm

If i knew this 5 years ago i won't come and work here ...
even if i knew when i came that speeding tickets may affect your right to settle and get passport here then i would decided to leave from the first year ... but now I have been here for almost 5 years and just waiting to do my ILR ... and see ...
I dont want those 5 years to be gone for just nothing really...

vinaya

Post by vinaya » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:57 pm

I don’t think you will see many people who would be keen to work in the UK, once the proposals laid out are implemented.

Why would someone want to spend 5 years working under Tier2, pay the taxes and contribute to the economy when clearly he or she won’t have any rights to settlement? The changes will affect genuine individuals who have the expertise, aptitude, skill sets, qualifications etc…and do all the right things they need to, as prescribed by UK Immigration Laws. Slowly but surely will also affect UK economy in the long run.

I am glad the proposals do not affect existing individuals, who have applied for work related visas prior to April’11

arnonel
Newly Registered

Post by arnonel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:39 pm

ukswus wrote:
Polat wrote:

page 12:

Page 16:

You could read this as the system comes in after April. ie, in April, anyone on a Tier 2, whether they applied before or after April, will not have right to settlement.

Am i wrong?

vinaya

Post by vinaya » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:04 pm

@arnonel
Of course you are.

What about all settlement application ever since April’11 which have been approved so far? Contradicts your thinking ï

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:21 pm

come august 2012, inshallah, I will be all sorted and I do pray all others who are in the same boat are all sorted as well. they are tightening the borders as much as I can just like the middle east and gulf countries.

good luck all.

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:54 pm

The proposals for Tier 2 seem quite radical.

Existing Tier 1 holders look to be OK, there is some suggestion of removing the ability to extend for a 2nd time (while preserving the right to settlement), however even this option is downplayed in the document.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:01 pm

wf wrote: Existing Tier 1 holders look to be OK, there is some suggestion of removing the ability to extend for a 2nd time (while preserving the right to settlement), however even this option is downplayed in the document.
Moreover, if you read item 4.10 on page 17, it's quite obvious that if this change is implemented, it will only apply to Tier 1 migrants who entered after April 2011. Even so, the government is not keen on this option.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:07 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... mmigration

the changes will affect those who enter to the T2 after 6th April 2011 and expect to apply for settlement in 2016, So all other T2 holder are safe I think !

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:43 pm

fraser wrote:Page 12 of the document.

I think the document states very clearly "We will continue to have regard to a migrant’s right to private and family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights."

As far as my understanding goes -> this is more humane, more balanced and finally more british way of conducting things.

I think this is the right approach.

abc111
BANNED

Post by abc111 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Well if they are thinking of implementing such unreasonable UK favouring rules (by assuming that anyone comes to the UK enjoys 100% benefits and does not give anything at all back) then people either would not bother coming here (as this could potentially sound insulting) or UK employers will have to put forward a really attractive salary package, specially when more new attractive destinations are on rise for immigrants workers -talking about China, Australia, India etc...

read for example, Global Money Leaves UK: http://www.lovemoney.com/news/savings-i ... ce=1000557

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:52 pm

This consultation is to reform economic migration routes (T1/T2/T5) only, they haven't proposed anything for long residence yet. Maybe the next one, who knows !

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:53 pm

The document is titled 'EMPLOYMENT-RELATED SETTLEMENT, TIER 5 AND OVERSEAS DOMESTIC WORKERS'

I do not see that the 10/14 yr categories fall under this description, hence they are not in the scope of the document.

[edit] sunmoon beat me to it above

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:02 pm

sunmoon wrote:

This consultation is to reform economic migration routes (T1/T2/T5) only, they haven't proposed anything for long residence yet. Maybe the next one, who knows !
I think the document states very clearly "We will continue to have regard to a migrant’s right to private and family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights."

If you know the history of LONG RESIDENCE, please draw your own conclusion's :)

The next consultation will be for the family route, as you all know!!

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:26 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:
sunmoon wrote:

If you know the history of LONG RESIDENCE, please draw your own conclusion's :)

The next consultation will be for the family route, as you all know!!
We all have to wait few more months to see what happen next.

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Ofcourse, we all have to wait!!

I think by mentioning Article 8, Govt. has made its intention crystal clear with respect to Long Residence route.