ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Naturalisation Form AN - Referee Query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aali1980
Newly Registered

British Naturalisation Form AN - Referee Query

Post by aali1980 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:37 pm

In the list of referees, it does not list 'Doctor'. Why is a doctor not allowed as a referee?

Also it lists 'Driving Instructor (Approved)'. What does the 'Approved' mean?

I have an appointment with the council on Tuesday 14/06/2011 and need to get a'professional' referee asap. I have a friend who is a doctor, and also one who is a driving instructor. Can I use one of them as my 'professional' referee?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:59 am

My understanding is that doctors are OK as professional referees. I think they were taken off the list at the request of doctors themselves, who found that they were spending (what they considered) inordinate amounts of time filling in naturalisation and passport applications.

Others may be able to confirm or refute this understanding of mine.

aali1980
Newly Registered

Post by aali1980 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:37 am

Thanks for your response.

What about 'approved' driving instructors? What does this mean?

x-ray

Post by x-ray » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:13 am

Approved Driving Instructor (or ADI) is a UK term for a trainer of car driving who has been tested and registered by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA). UK law requires driving instructors be thus qualified before they can charge for their services.

IMHO Doctors are ok only if they wish to be your referee, if they have already done so it will not be rejected.

aali1980
Newly Registered

Post by aali1980 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:12 pm

Thank you for your help in explaining this.

I wonder why they make everything so vague?

x-ray

Post by x-ray » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Everything about them is vague that is why people have to come to the Forum to get a clear idea. :lol: They expect people to always ask questions if they are not sure.

Goodluck with the hunt for a referee who is eligible.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:52 pm

My understanding is that doctors are OK as professional referees. I think they were taken off the list at the request of doctors themselves, who found that they were spending (what they considered) inordinate amounts of time filling in naturalisation and passport applications.

Others may be able to confirm or refute this understanding of mine
Certainly doctors are suitable professional referees. Name from the list has been taken off for 2 reasons( cannot give any reference so this is from hearsay)
1.Doctors felt obliged and did not want to be chased about this
2.Some were charging fees which was not considered right by the GMC

Docotrs can thus act as referees in a 'friendly' capacity, hence should not be charging any fees.

x-ray

Post by x-ray » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:34 pm

gidoc your second reason is actually true because someone i know was charged £15 by a doctor just for a reference last year. I was shocked to hear that, i advised that this should be rejected and to look for another possible referee but was told its just £15 and need to be done due to no other option.

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:09 am

x-ray wrote:gidoc your second reason is actually true because someone i know was charged £15 by a doctor just for a reference last year. I was shocked to hear that, i advised that this should be rejected and to look for another possible referee but was told its just £15 and need to be done due to no other option.

I just came across a recent case where the Doctor charged £60 for referee for a joint application... it feels just like being exploited.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.