ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query on Cohabitation

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

imranb

Query on Cohabitation

Post by imranb » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:27 am

Query on Cohabitation

I will be applying for ILR in a few months along with my wife, with my current status as Tier-1 General Migrant.

Is it necessary to provide cohabitation proof for the last 2 years out of the 5 year period, or this could be any 2 year period within the 5 year span? I ask this question because, I seem to have misplaced quite a few latest letters received in my wife’s name, though I have the following:

• 5 Rental agreements in both the husband and wife’s names for 5 different houses that we have rented in the last 5 years.
• 2 council bills for the last 2 years in our joint name.
• A letter received from the DVLA a year back in 2010 in my wife’s name for her Provisional Driving Licence
• 1 Letter from the local GP -2011
• NHS MEDICAL CARD – 2008
• NHS MEDICAL CARD – 2011
• Hospital delivery Discharge card from local hospital – 2009 (our baby was born in UK in 2009)

Also, my WP1, WP2, WP3, and Tier 1 applications (all successful) were all done together with my wife. WP2, WP3 and Tier 1 applications to the Home Office were all done jointly in the years 2008 and 2009 from within the UK. Does this in any way count as proof of co-habitation?

I am getting a bit worked up as I can’t convince myself that the above evidence is enough. Though the fact is that me and my wife have lived together in UK for the entire 5 years, barring 50 days of holidays in India (that too all entry and exit into India and UK was done together – can this be also counted as evidence along with air tickets?)

A bit of advice on whether the above is good enough, or do I need to do something more to prove co-habitation (though I am not sure what and how I can do it now in hindsight)

Thanks in advance. I am sure I will get fantastic advice here.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:06 am

I think you are worrying for nothing. You have sufficient proof really and many on this forum have said that officers only ask for 2 or 3 documents as proof.
Further, as she has been your dependant for all applications its even more clear and likelihood is to provide one document for each year. As long you have atleast 1 proof for 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 it is fine and clearly you have that.

Just carry what you have listed out in bullet points and you wont need anything more. To make you feel better, you can call your previous councils who will issue a letter stating that both of you were responsible for council tax during that period in your rented place, provided both your names have been there. But you have more than enough proof so really dont beat yourself up on this :-)

All the best
KP

imranb

Post by imranb » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:15 am

kenfrapin wrote:I think you are worrying for nothing. You have sufficient proof really and many on this forum have said that officers only ask for 2 or 3 documents as proof.
Further, as she has been your dependant for all applications its even more clear and likelihood is to provide one document for each year. As long you have atleast 1 proof for 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 it is fine and clearly you have that.

Just carry what you have listed out in bullet points and you wont need anything more. To make you feel better, you can call your previous councils who will issue a letter stating that both of you were responsible for council tax during that period in your rented place, provided both your names have been there. But you have more than enough proof so really dont beat yourself up on this :-)

All the best
KP
Thank you Kenfrapin. That is really assuring. From what you suggest, I will now stop worrying about co-habitation and start worrying about sorting out the other documentation for my application. Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

If anyone else has anything more to add to this, please share.
:)

helpneeded2011
Newly Registered

Re: Query on Cohabitation

Post by helpneeded2011 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:12 pm

imranb wrote:Query on Cohabitation

I will be applying for ILR in a few months along with my wife, with my current status as Tier-1 General Migrant.

Is it necessary to provide cohabitation proof for the last 2 years out of the 5 year period, or this could be any 2 year period within the 5 year span? I ask this question because, I seem to have misplaced quite a few latest letters received in my wife’s name, though I have the following:

• 5 Rental agreements in both the husband and wife’s names for 5 different houses that we have rented in the last 5 years.
• 2 council bills for the last 2 years in our joint name.
• A letter received from the DVLA a year back in 2010 in my wife’s name for her Provisional Driving Licence
• 1 Letter from the local GP -2011
• NHS MEDICAL CARD – 2008
• NHS MEDICAL CARD – 2011
• Hospital delivery Discharge card from local hospital – 2009 (our baby was born in UK in 2009)

Also, my WP1, WP2, WP3, and Tier 1 applications (all successful) were all done together with my wife. WP2, WP3 and Tier 1 applications to the Home Office were all done jointly in the years 2008 and 2009 from within the UK. Does this in any way count as proof of co-habitation?

I am getting a bit worked up as I can’t convince myself that the above evidence is enough. Though the fact is that me and my wife have lived together in UK for the entire 5 years, barring 50 days of holidays in India (that too all entry and exit into India and UK was done together – can this be also counted as evidence along with air tickets?)

A bit of advice on whether the above is good enough, or do I need to do something more to prove co-habitation (though I am not sure what and how I can do it now in hindsight)

Thanks in advance. I am sure I will get fantastic advice here.

I think you have more than enough of the proofs...don't worry.