ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Cheekoo
Newly Registered

British Citizenship Query

Post by Cheekoo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi,
I came to UK in May 2006 with my wife and daughter.
Me and my wife are holding Indian Passport and Daughter is holding American Passport.

In 2008 we had a baby boy who was born in the UK.

Completed 5 years in May 2011 and got the ILR stamped for Me, Wife and Daughter (didn't apply ILR for Son, as we had the plans to apply for his British Citizenship directly)

My question is-
Can Me and My wife apply for British Citizenship now itself ? (I was under the impression that after the ILR I need to wait for an Year before I apply for British Citizenship), But couldn't find that rule anywhere.

I was about to fill MN1 form for my Son, to register him as british citizen. Do I need to fill the same form for my Daughter as well (We need to go for a Dual citizenship for her) ?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:32 pm

See also eligibility.

Cheekoo wrote:I was under the impression that after the ILR I need to wait for an Year before I apply for British Citizenship, But couldn't find that rule anywhere.
Unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should have been free from immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the residential qualifying period.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Cheekoo
Newly Registered

Post by Cheekoo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:21 pm

For the child born abroad you have mentioned that 'For born-abroad child(ren) under 18, application for registration as British citizen may be submitted either at the same time as either parent's naturalisation application or after either parent has naturalised (see also 9.17.9). Registration at discretion under section 3(1) of BNA 1981.'

Does this mean that I need to fill MN1 form for my daughter also ?

If I send both the forms (MN1 for Son + MN1 for Daughter) together, will I be able to get the discounted Fee ?

For my daughter , I will be able to send the form only along with the citizenship application for me and my wife (I mean if both me and my wife apply for citizenship then only we can apply for our daughter) ?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:24 pm

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. The statement is self-explanatory.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!