ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Due , but Claimed Child Benefits

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Gerry2011

ILR Due , but Claimed Child Benefits

Post by Gerry2011 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:56 am

Hello All,

I am due for ILR later this year (WP+Tier 1).
I claimed Child Benefits for 2 years in error, stopped benefits 2.5 years ago.
Requested Child Benefit Department that I want to repay, they said I dont need to pay back anything.

Will this effect my ILR application?

Please help.

Many Thanks

xyz123

Re: ILR Due , but Claimed Child Benefits

Post by xyz123 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:24 pm

Gerry2011 wrote:Hello All,

Requested Child Benefit Department that I want to repay, they said I dont need to pay back anything.

Please help.

Many Thanks
It may or may not. Have you got any written evidance that you made attempts to return the money and they refused to take it or was it all just verbal? if you have it in writing (especially any reply from child benefit department) it would help your case.

Gerry2011

Post by Gerry2011 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks xyz123,
I sent them a letter to stop paying benefits as I am under immigration control, also asked them that i wish to send money back what they have paid.
I received their letter saying " we will stop paying you Child benefit immidiately , you need not to pay money back to us".
This is on their letterhead paper.

Will this be good enough?

Thanks again

rajesh_kumar01

Post by rajesh_kumar01 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:34 pm

ask them to send you letter mentioning that it(even if you don't repay) will not affect your ILR application .

They will not send any such letter. On this forum there are any users who had repaid benefits before they applied for ILR.
rgds

blay1

Re: ILR Due , but Claimed Child Benefits

Post by blay1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Gerry2011 wrote:Hello All,

Please help.

Many Thanks
Hopefully you should be fine.A friend of mine was in the same situation and he got his ILR last year.

Gerry2011

Post by Gerry2011 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks All,
Just want to add that my first Tier 1 was refused on Bank statements ground, I ticked YES on Claiming Benefit section.
On my Tier 1 refusal letter, I was asked by Case Worker to Stop Claiming Benefits , he also mentioned that at this stage he is not cancelling my Work permit. How ever, I stopped that before Home Office refusal.
I then applied for my Tier 1 with correct Bank statements and ticked NO of Claimning Benefit section, my case was succesful.

mk357
Member of Standing

Post by mk357 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Gerry2011 wrote:Thanks All,
Just want to add that my first Tier 1 was refused on Bank statements ground, I ticked YES on Claiming Benefit section.
On my Tier 1 refusal letter, I was asked by Case Worker to Stop Claiming Benefits , he also mentioned that at this stage he is not cancelling my Work permit. How ever, I stopped that before Home Office refusal.
I then applied for my Tier 1 with correct Bank statements and ticked NO of Claimning Benefit section, my case was succesful.
Be careful with the benefits as it could affect your extension / ILR. So wait until you get ILR. Child Benefit surely falls within public funds.