ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

original passport used while applying for UK passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bohrasa
Newly Registered

original passport used while applying for UK passport

Post by bohrasa » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:37 am

after naturalisation, while applying for a UK passport is it a requirement to send the original foreign passport which contain the ILR stamp to IPS ? can we just send a copy certified by a lawyer (as i need my passport for business travel).

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:28 pm

Requirement is to send originals only, no copies, do read the guidance.
1.Current passport
2.First passport used to enter UK

Apply when you do not need your current passport!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:47 am

A foreign passport is irrelevant to one's claim to British citizenship - I see no reason why a copy would not be acceptable. British missions overseas absolutely do accept copies of foreign passports instead of originals.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:26 am

This is not about citizenship, its about British passport application.
IPS does require the original passport- current and the one you entered the UK with; this is an ID proof as well. This is the standard guidance, however unless its lost what could be the reason that one doesnt want to send it?

tom1
Newly Registered

Post by tom1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:21 pm

HI I AM JUST APPLYING FOR BRITSH PASSPORT AFTER BC CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT SHOULD I WRITE ON 1ST QUESTION WHAT TYPE OF PASSPORT ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?
YOUR FIRST PASSPORT ADULT OR CHANGES TO YOUR EXSISTING PASSPORT I OPTION IS CHANGE NATIONALSTATUS I AM STUCK PLEASE HELP ME REGARDING THIS ASAP

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:43 pm

HI I AM JUST APPLYING FOR BRITSH PASSPORT AFTER BC CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT SHOULD I WRITE ON 1ST QUESTION WHAT TYPE OF PASSPORT ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?
YOUR FIRST PASSPORT ADULT OR CHANGES TO YOUR EXSISTING PASSPORT I OPTION IS CHANGE NATIONALSTATUS I AM STUCK PLEASE HELP ME REGARDING THIS ASAP

It will be your first passport as a BC hence thats your option.Tick Adult if youre above 18.

(Perhaps writing in caps was an oversight!!)

shs213

Post by shs213 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:41 am

After naturalisation ceremony but before applying for brit passport, can i travel on my current passport?

I will be attending my ceremony tomorrow, but have to fly on a business trip next week. So will not be applying for brit passport till i get back. I know i technically become british at the ceremony, so not sure if it is OK to travel on a non-brit passport after becoming a brit citizen - will i encounter a hardtime with the immigration officers?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:02 am

shs213 wrote:After naturalisation ceremony but before applying for brit passport, can i travel on my current passport?

I will be attending my ceremony tomorrow, but have to fly on a business trip next week. So will not be applying for brit passport till i get back. I know i technically become british at the ceremony, so not sure if it is OK to travel on a non-brit passport after becoming a brit citizen - will i encounter a hardtime with the immigration officers?
There is no legal requirement to enter the UK with a British passport if you are British. However, if your country doesn't allow dual nationally, your might have lost your current nationality by becoming British so your passport is not valid.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:39 pm

will be attending my ceremony tomorrow, but have to fly on a business trip next week. So will not be applying for brit passport till i get back. I know i technically become british at the ceremony, so not sure if it is OK to travel on a non-brit passport after becoming a brit citizen - will i encounter a hardtime with the immigration officers?
As Jambo says your existing passport will be invalid,if your original nationality does not allow dual citizenship. However you can take a chance, its your call!

shs213

Post by shs213 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:02 am

gidoc wrote:
will be attending my ceremony tomorrow, but have to fly on a business trip next week. So will not be applying for brit passport till i get back. I know i technically become british at the ceremony, so not sure if it is OK to travel on a non-brit passport after becoming a brit citizen - will i encounter a hardtime with the immigration officers?
As Jambo says your existing passport will be invalid,if your original nationality does not allow dual citizenship. However you can take a chance, its your call!
oh S!! My country doesnt allow dual.. Are you guys 100% sure that my current PP will be invalid after nat ceremony and I will risk by travelling in that passport?

if you guys are ABSOLUTELY sure I will take your word, if ur only giving your opinion pls let me know if i shld call HO to confirm. Sorry not underestimating the helpful colleagues in this forum, this could cost my citizenship n career too :d

Member of Standing

Post by 1664 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:09 am

shs213 wrote:
gidoc wrote:
oh S!! My country doesnt allow dual.. Are you guys 100% sure that my current PP will be invalid after nat ceremony and I will risk by travelling in that passport?

if you guys are ABSOLUTELY sure I will take your word, if ur only giving your opinion pls let me know if i shld call HO to confirm. Sorry not underestimating the helpful colleagues in this forum, this could cost my citizenship n career too u:d
I'd recommend you make a few phone calls.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:20 am

shs213 wrote:oh S!! My country doesnt allow dual.. Are you guys 100% sure that my current PP will be invalid after nat ceremony and I will risk by travelling in that passport?

if you guys are ABSOLUTELY sure I will take your word, if ur only giving your opinion pls let me know if i shld call HO to confirm. Sorry not underestimating the helpful colleagues in this forum, this could cost my citizenship n career too :d
This is the law. Would you able to travel on your other nationality passport? Probably, as the airline, other counties border control, UK border control won't know you are British now.
The HO can not advise you on your other nationality. They can advise your on dual nationality and British nationality. The approval letter has a section dealing with this topic exactly.

What's is your other nationality?

shs213

Post by shs213 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:10 am

Jambo wrote:
shs213 wrote:oh S!! My country doesnt allow dual.. Are you guys 100% sure that my current PP will be invalid after nat ceremony and I will risk by travelling in that passport?

This is the law. Would you able to travel on your other nationality passport? Probably, as the airline, other counties border control, UK border control won't know you are British now.
The HO can not advise you on your other nationality. They can advise your on dual nationality and British nationality. The approval letter has a section dealing with this topic exactly.

Sri Lankan

Markie

Post by Markie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:33 am

In that case...have you gone through this set of regulations?
shs213 wrote:
Jambo wrote:

Sri Lankan

shs213

Post by shs213 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:40 am

Markie wrote:In that case...have you gone through this set of regulations?
thanks, I know SL doesnt allow dual at the mo. So therefore I am not going to risk travelling on my old passport - why come this close and risk it all!

liuminparis

Post by liuminparis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:11 pm

my country doesn't allow dual nationality as well. After I got my British passport, I just keep using my original country passport with the ILR visa on it to leave the country and re-enter the country. No problem at all!! Just make sure you use one passport only, not to leave UK with British passport but enter your country with another passport. Make sure use your original passport to enter and leave your country, and to leave end enter U.K.

boloney

Post by boloney » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:24 pm

liuminparis wrote:my country doesn't allow dual nationality as well. After I got my British passport, I just keep using my original country passport with the ILR visa on it to leave the country and re-enter the country. No problem at all!! Just make sure you use one passport only, not to leave UK with British passport but enter your country with another passport. Make sure use your original passport to enter and leave your country, and to leave end enter U.K.
not really good idea, one day someone will find out about your nationality and you will end up in big trouble for using invalid passport.

liuminparis

Post by liuminparis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:33 pm

boloney wrote:
liuminparis wrote:my country doesn't allow dual nationality as well. After I got my British passport, I just keep using my original country passport with the ILR visa on it to leave the country and re-enter the country. No problem at all!! Just make sure you use one passport only, not to leave UK with British passport but enter your country with another passport. Make sure use your original passport to enter and leave your country, and to leave end enter U.K.
not really good idea, one day someone will find out about your nationality and you will end up in big trouble for using invalid passport.
Agree, there is a risk there so be careful. However, my understanding is only my home country cares about this but not the British border.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:46 pm

It is an illegal use of your orginal passport, will definitely lead to trouble sooner than later.

Definitely not recommended.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:01 pm

This is like saying you can drive after 1 year in the UK with a foreign/international driver licence. You can always tell the police officer you just landed a month ago. It's is still illegal.

forwardever

Post by forwardever » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:18 pm

its depends which country u from having a british passport doesnt mean your original country passport is invalid...

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:14 pm

This was in context of where dual nationality is not allowed.