ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Passport Application in UK/Abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

varun
Newly Registered

UK Passport Application in UK/Abroad

Post by varun » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:58 am

Hi,

I would like to know if the city where you apply/live make a difference in the time lines for passport processing and also can we can apply for passport at an UK embassy abroad

1. If we go for check and send, does smaller city's have faster processing times compared to london

2. Do we need to send the original current passport with the application or can we send notarised/certified copy of passport like we send while making an application

3. Can we apply for passport at an UK embassy abroad once we finish the ceremony in UK

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: UK Passport Application in UK/Abroad

Post by Jambo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:14 am

varun wrote:1. If we go for check and send, does smaller city's have faster processing times compared to london
No difference. The PO just sends the application to IPS to get processed.
2. Do we need to send the original current passport with the application or can we send notarised/certified copy of passport like we send while making an application
Need to send original.
3. Can we apply for passport at an UK embassy abroad once we finish the ceremony in UK
Yes but it is a longer process. You will also need to attend an interview as well as this is a first passport application. see more info here

varun
Newly Registered

Post by varun » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:20 am

Thanks for your response.

If we apply abroad, which address will be printed in the in the passport issued (UK or Abroad address ????) and also would like to know documents needed to apply abroad

Also would like to hear from anyone who had applied for first time UK passport abroad

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:22 am

There is no address in the passport. The difference will be in the issuing authority. For passports issued in the UK it will say IPS and for passport issued abroad it will say FCO.

For more information follow the link I provided in my previous post or have a look here

varun
Newly Registered

Post by varun » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:50 pm

I tried emailing the FCO and they asked me to get in touch with IPS and so far i have not had a confirmation from either of them about the process

The Direct Gov website says yes, but when i mail them they are not confirming it. So would like to hear from anyone who has done this or have a confirmation about it

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:09 pm

The easiest way is for you to apply for the passport when you come back to the UK.
Or allow some time before travelling.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:11 pm

varun wrote:I tried emailing the FCO and they asked me to get in touch with IPS and so far i have not had a confirmation from either of them about the process

The Direct Gov website says yes, but when i mail them they are not confirming it. So would like to hear from anyone who has done this or have a confirmation about it
What are you after? The process of applying for first passport abroad? FCO website is quite clear and also explains what is needed for first passport applications. Where do you plan to apply from? Depending on the country you plan to apply from, the process might be slightly different. You won't be the first one to apply for a first passport from abroad (although this is usually people living abroad born to British parents than people naturalised as British).

varun
Newly Registered

Post by varun » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:30 pm

I am planning to apply abroad after the ceremony in Uk bcos i have to travel on work immediately after ceremony. In order to plan my trips, i have emailed the FCO on procedure and they asked to check with IPS and go through guidelines, which i did.

but just need a confirmation from an authorised email(FCO/IPS) confirming what is there on the website and documents needed etc

So far no luck.