ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

guidance forapplying for british citizen after ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tom_hungston

guidance forapplying for british citizen after ILR

Post by tom_hungston » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I am an ILR holder since last 18 months and would need to apply for the British Citizenship now, I was on a work permit and working for 5 years and 8 months and have recently resigned from the job (in March 2011). so here comes the confusion and therefore I have few question which I would like to pick your brain.

- I was workign full time until March 2011 and now started my own business and employing 6 people including myself. I do not have any pay slip from April 2011 as I started business in April and have not been paying myself any money. so what would I need to put on the form...? self employed or business...?

- I am going through the council nationality checking service so would I be able to keep my passport and go in/out of country once application has been submited...? as I know it takes around 6 months to process the application.

- Also as a business owner I don't have any company returns as its only been running for few months. so what information I need to supply to them...? e.g. business account bank statements, a letter from accountant...? any company information e.g. company registration number, VAT number, etc

Your help and guidance is always much appreciated guys.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

umb

Re: guidance forapplying for british citizen after ILR

Post by umb » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:42 pm

tom_hungston wrote:- I am going through the council nationality checking service so would I be able to keep my passport and go in/out of country once application has been submited...? as I know it takes around 6 months to process the application.
They will return your original documents after photocopying. But you have to be present in UK on the day HO receives your application. e.g. I used NCS to send my daughter's application and it was Friday. The lady told me that they'll send the application on Monday and HO will receive it by Tuesday so she has to be in UK on Tuesday.

After that you can go in/out as you may wish.

Thanks

tom_hungston

Post by tom_hungston » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:27 pm

UMB, Cheers for clearing it up.

can any one help me regarding the source of income question please.

Many thanks guys

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:46 pm

I was workign full time until March 2011 and now started my own business and employing 6 people including myself. I do not have any pay slip from April 2011 as I started business in April and have not been paying myself any money. so what would I need to put on the form...? self employed or business...?
Small business ( self employed)
I am going through the council nationality checking service so would I be able to keep my passport and go in/out of country once application has been submited...? as I know it takes around 6 months to process the application.
NCS will make you sign on the form which says that you will be in the UK for next 7 days.

Also as a business owner I don't have any company returns as its only been running for few months. so what information I need to supply to them...? e.g. business account bank statements, a letter from accountant...? any company information e.g. company registration number, VAT number, etc
No documents required, give your UTR No.

tom_hungston

Post by tom_hungston » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:42 pm

Cheers gidoc, what is UTR number...? is is unique tax reference number...? Also in the application form, Page 9 section 3.3 it says please write address of tax office or tax office reference number.

does it mean they want to know my accounts office reference or Employer PAYE reference number...? as these are the only two reference numbers I have from the HM Revenue & customs.

Cheers for your help guys. Much appreciated

gidoc wrote:
I was workign full time until March 2011 and now started my own business and employing 6 people including myself. I do not have any pay slip from April 2011 as I started business in April and have not been paying myself any money. so what would I need to put on the form...? self employed or business...?
Small business ( self employed)
I am going through the council nationality checking service so would I be able to keep my passport and go in/out of country once application has been submited...? as I know it takes around 6 months to process the application.
NCS will make you sign on the form which says that you will be in the UK for next 7 days.

Also as a business owner I don't have any company returns as its only been running for few months. so what information I need to supply to them...? e.g. business account bank statements, a letter from accountant...? any company information e.g. company registration number, VAT number, etc
No documents required, give your UTR No.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Cheers gidoc, what is UTR number...? is is unique tax reference number...?
Yes
please write address of tax office or tax office reference number.

does it mean they want to know my accounts office reference or Employer PAYE reference number...? as these are the only two reference numbers I have from the HM Revenue & customs.
Give both or anyone; UTR links them anyway

tom_hungston

Post by tom_hungston » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:36 am

Thanks gidoc,

I have one more question. the refree section states that one of the refree must be from a professional standing, e.g solicitor, accountant, GP, etc. I don't know GP as I haven't been to hospital in last four years so dont know who to ask to sign as a refree. I have known few people who are director of their business with annual turn over of 1 million pounds. They're my previous employer and have known them for last 10 years, can they sign my form...? Or a colleague of mine who is a Software Engineer and a member of British Computer Society which is a professional body. can he be my first refree from professional body...? although I am not sure that he still is a member with the British Computer Society.

Cheers guys

gidoc wrote:
Cheers gidoc, what is UTR number...? is is unique tax reference number...?
Yes
please write address of tax office or tax office reference number.

Give both or anyone; UTR links them anyway

tom_hungston

Post by tom_hungston » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:52 am

FOUND IT

Cheers guys for looking, however I have found the answer, Here is the link and incase if it doesnt work here is the full list too.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... er6/annexa

Chapter 6
ANNEX A to
Referees: List of acceptable professional persons
Accountant
Airline pilot
Articled clerk of a limited company
Assurance agent of recognised company
Bank/building society official
Barrister
British Computer Society (BCS) - Professional grades which are Associate (AMBCS), Member (MBCS), Fellow (FBCS) (PN 25/2003)
Broker
Chairman/director of limited company
Chemist
Chiropodist
Christian Science practitioner
Commissioner for oaths
Councillor: local or county
Civil servant (permanent)
Dentist
Designated Premises Supervisors
Director/Manager of a VAT registered Charity
Director/Manager/Personnel Officer of a VAT registered Company
Driving instructor (approved)
Engineer (with professional qualifications)
Fire service official
Funeral director
Insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
Journalist
Justice of the Peace
Legal secretary (members and fellows of the Institute of legal secretaries)
Local government officer
Manager/Personnel officer (of limited company)
Member of Parliament
Member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces
Merchant Navy officer
Minister of a recognised religion
Nurse (RN, SEN or holder of a BA in nursing)
Officer of the armed services (active or retired)
Optician
Paralegal (Certified or Qualified Paralegals, and Associate Members of the Institute of Paralegals)
Person with honours (e.g. OBE, MBE etc.)
Personal Licensee Holders
Photographer (professional)
Police officer
Post Office official
President/Secretary of a recognised organisation
Salvation Army officer
Social worker
Solicitor
Surveyor
Teacher, lecturer
Trade union officer
Travel agency (qualified)
Valuers and auctioneers (fellow and associate members of the incorporated society)
Warrant officers and Chief Petty Officers