ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier-1 Extension my passport has expiry after 6 months

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

visarv
Newly Registered

Tier-1 Extension my passport has expiry after 6 months

Post by visarv » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Hello Everybody,

I have my Tier-1 Extension due in mid december 2011 and my passport is valid till early april 2012. I am planning to book appointment with PEO in mid October.

Can I apply for extension with this passport (as it will be valid for next 6 months and my extension would be for 2 years) or should I get my passport renewed first and then only I can go for extension.

Please Advise, Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

RockON

Re: Tier-1 Extension my passport has expiry after 6 months

Post by RockON » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Check with your Embassy, passport can be renewed on the expiry, or up to one year before expiry of any passport
visarv wrote:Hello Everybody,

I have my Tier-1 Extension due in mid december 2011 and my passport is valid till early april 2012. I am planning to book appointment with PEO in mid October.

Can I apply for extension with this passport (as it will be valid for next 6 months and my extension would be for 2 years) or should I get my passport renewed first and then only I can go for extension.

Please Advise, Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

visarv
Newly Registered

Post by visarv » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks for your response.
Yes, I know I can renew my passport. Is it advisable to renew the passport before applying for extension? My query is that if I apply with my existing passport does that make my Tier-1 extension application invalid or can cause any issue with extension?

muhandis.ak

Post by muhandis.ak » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 pm

If I were in your place, I would get the passport renewed before applying.

If you didn't, a possible scenario that could arise is -
- You apply in Oct/Nov in person, but the caseworker needs to make further enquiries and doesn't give a decision that day
- You get a rejection in Jan
- You go for an appeal which takes your passport past its expiry date in April.

That would be a complicated situation to get into. I do not know how long your embassy takes to renew a passport, but if its less than 2 months I'd suggest you get it renewed.

Specifically to answer your question, there isn't any problem with applying for extension as long as your passport is valid.

[quote="visarv"]Thanks for your response.
Yes, I know I can renew my passport. Is it advisable to renew the passport before applying for extension? My query is that if I apply with my existing passport does that make my Tier-1 extension application invalid or can cause any issue with extension?[/quote]

Anonymous26
Newly Registered

Post by Anonymous26 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:58 am

shahmir

Post by shahmir » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:12 am

You can apply for extension with this passport if it will be valid for another six months from the date of your application.

Later when it expires, you can always apply for another passport. Once you get new passport, you can use it together with the old one to cross a border.

You can always request UKBA to get your visa stamped on new passport again but they charge for this. Instead, I would advise to renew your passport first and then apply for extension.
lets get together for migrants' rights