ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering UK with naturalisation certificate & foreign pp

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gc123

Entering UK with naturalisation certificate & foreign pp

Post by gc123 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:01 pm

I know there were some posts on here a few years ago about this, but I wonder if anyone can help with recent experiences?

From what I can gather from the older posts, the bottom line was:

1. As long as you can prove your identity and British citizenship there is no legal ground for denying entry

2. UKBA might still give you a hard time

3. Airlines might not let you board the flight without a return ticket

I am going to get a UK passport but don't have time before next trip.

thanks for sharing any advice/experiences

khankhattak

Re: Entering UK with naturalisation certificate & foreig

Post by khankhattak » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:50 pm

gc123 wrote:I know there were some posts on here a few years ago about this, but I wonder if anyone can help with recent experiences?

From what I can gather from the older posts, the bottom line was:

1. As long as you can prove your identity and British citizenship there is no legal ground for denying entry

2. UKBA might still give you a hard time

3. Airlines might not let you board the flight without a return ticket

I am going to get a UK passport but don't have time before next trip.

thanks for sharing any advice/experiences
at present time which passport u have
plz let me know if im saying anything incorrect

gc123

Post by gc123 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:23 pm

australian

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:00 am

With Australian passport (and a ILR visa in it which is not valid now any more), you should not have problems with airlines.

The UKBA might give you some hard time but I would imagine it would be OK. There is no legal requirement for British citizens to enter the UK with a British passport and your OZ passport with a ILR should be already "in the system".

gc123

Post by gc123 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 pm

i think simplest way will be to just complete landing card as usual and use aus passport, they probably won't notice. if they do i will say i didn't know any better and they can see nat. cert.

taliska

Post by taliska » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:33 pm

They do give people a hard time at immigration as previous posters have done this and have been told off at the immigration desk as they do tell you that when you get your citizenship, your ILR is no longer valid as you are no longer a visa national, but they most likely will still let you enter but may make note of the fact that you are not entering on a UK passport

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:04 am

If I was doing this, I'd simply fill in a landing card and enter as an ILR holder, without offering any explanation unless asked. I imagine the chances are that it will be fine – although the ILR is no longer valid as such, since a British citizen does not need leave to enter the UK, recently naturalised citizens using an old ILR are not high on the list of people that the UKBA will be looking out for.

lionking007

Post by lionking007 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 am

I have done that simply filled in the landing card and no questions asked until my british passport arrived a few days ago
Christophe wrote:If I was doing this, I'd simply fill in a landing card and enter as an ILR holder, without offering any explanation unless asked. I imagine the chances are that it will be fine – although the ILR is no longer valid as such, since a British citizen does not need leave to enter the UK, recently naturalised citizens using an old ILR are not high on the list of people that the UKBA will be looking out for.

JulesN19

Post by JulesN19 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Strictly speaking, s. 3(9) Immigration Act 1971 indicates that someone seeking to enter the UK based on a right of abode by virtue of his British citizenship must show a UK passport describing him as a British citizen or certificate of entitlement to a right of abode in the UK.

It is correct that Brtish citizens do not require leave to enter or remain in the UK because they have a right of abode in the UK. However, as far as I am aware, there is nothing in the Immigration Rules or statute stating that leave is revoked or invalidated by naturalisation or other circumstances that give rise to a right of abode and absence of a need for leave to enter or remain. Therefore, entering in one's capacity as an Australian with ILR should be possible in principle. Given that you would be relying on your leave to remain rather than right of abode, you would complete a landing card with your non-UK passport details and go through the non-EEA queue.

I do not know what happens in the UK Border Agency's database when one is naturalised and whether the record of the ILR ceases to be accessible to immigration officers who may scan a passport at a port of entry. In practice, if any questions are asked, then having a naturalisation certificate available may be helpful and may assure any immigration officer that you have a right to live in the UK in any event.

I suspect that your ability to enter the UK with your Australian passport and residence permit showing ILR would not be a problem, as I know others who have entered the UK in this manner very soon after naturalisation.

I should note that the UK seems to have a fairly relaxed attitude when it comes to dual nationality and the exercise of foreign nationality. The US, for example, while permitting dual nationality, explicitly requires that its citizens always enter the US on US passports and not foreign passports.

gc123

Post by gc123 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:37 pm

In case anyone is wondering, I re-entered the country tonight without any problems or questions at all.

I noticed later that it says in my new UK citzenship pack:

"If, as a British citizen, you wish to travel on a non-British passport it must be endorsed to show that you have right of abode. Otherwise, you might experience difficulty proving your right to be re-admitted to the UK. Certifcates of entitlement to the right of abode are issued by the Home Office to applicants within the UK and by the appropriate British representatives abroad. A fee is payable in both cases..."