ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to Germany

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

KarenYucel
Newly Registered

Moving to Germany

Post by KarenYucel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:56 pm

I am a British citizen, my husband is Turkish national and he has UK Indefinite leave to remain. We are thinking of moving to Germany with our son (also British citizen).
Am I right in thinking that myself and my son do not require a residence permit, however we will need to register with police and register our address upon arrival in Germany?
My husband will however need a residence permit / work permit. He has uncles in Germany who run their own business and they have offered him a job. The German embassy website states he would require a vocational qualification and letter from employer. He does not have qualification in area his uncles work in, but they would be able to write him a letter stating he has a job.
I would not be working (to start with anyway) as our son is under 2 so I would need to look after him until he gets to kindergarten age.
Please clarify if I have these details correct and anything else we may need to know. Are we required to show evidence of financial situation in order to get husbands residence permit; how much is enough financially? Would a letter from his uncle stating he would support us financially be enough.

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: Moving to Germany

Post by 86ti » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:28 am

KarenYucel wrote:My husband will however need a residence permit / work permit.
If your husbands intents to stay on the basis that you exercise your treaty rights in Germany then he would need a so-called Aufenthaltskarte (residence card). Whether it is possible to exercise treaty rights as a self-sufficient person based on the income of the non-EEA national spouse in Germany, I do not know.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:33 pm

In general the key person is the EU citizen (you!). If you were working, even part time, then the whole thing is a non issue. Husband's Residence Card is a mere formality.

If you (EU person) are self-sufficient, namely you have enough savings and have health insurance, then it should also be a non issue.

Note that there is not a fixed amount of money you need to have to be considered self-sufficient. But basically it has to be enough that you will not have to become dependent on the member states social assistance programs.

If you have 50,000 euros in your bank account, it would be a non issue. If you had 5,000 euros on your bank account it might be difficult. (Assets do not have to be in Euros).

As soon as your husband has his Residence Card, he could work too. And he could give you his earnings to help keep you nice and self sufficient.