ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NI number, Residence card and driving license

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

31gstonepark
Newly Registered

NI number, Residence card and driving license

Post by 31gstonepark » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:20 am

we gave a notice of an intention to marry with my partner finally!!! getting married very soon xx i am eea national my fiancé is non-eea national. now i need to decide the order of applying for docs.

we need to get the following sorted asap:-

1. NI number
2. Driving license
3. Residence card

i think that best be in the order stated above?!

would Jobcentre accept his passport and our marriage certificate as a proof my husband is eligible to apply for NI number? he has no visa in his passport (was illegal prior to marriage) only proof he is legal here is our marriage certificate.

would same be acceptable for DVLA??

NI number and driving license might take a month to sort out after which we can send his passport to the UKBA for residence card. if we do other way round and apply for residence card first i am afraid we might not get passport back for some half a year or so. and the time is precious.

your advice will be appreciated. thank you in advance!!!!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:35 pm

I suggest you go for 3. Residence Card first. JobCentre and DVLA are not immigrations experts, that's the HO role. They are likely to ask for a proof of legal status in the UK. You might be able to convince them that your husband is legal but it could complicate things and take longer at the end of the day.
Apply for Residence Card. Once your husband gets his CoA (Certificate of Application letter), ask for the passports back. This will not delay his application. The CoA letter should arrive in about one month. The letter can also be used as a proof of your husband right to work in the UK.
Not having NI should not block your husband from accepting job offers. He can use temporary NI number until a permanent one is allocated.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:14 pm

What is your nationality? What is your partner's nationality? Is your partner living in UK legally? If not, what is your partner's immigration history in UK?

vndpag

Re: NI number, Residence card and driving license

Post by vndpag » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:51 pm

31gstonepark wrote:we gave a notice of an intention to marry with my partner finally!!! getting married very soon xx i am eea national my fiancé is non-eea national. now i need to decide the order of applying for docs.

we need to get the following sorted asap:-

1. NI number
2. Driving license
3. Residence card

i think that best be in the order stated above?!

would Jobcentre accept his passport and our marriage certificate as a proof my husband is eligible to apply for NI number? he has no visa in his passport (was illegal prior to marriage) only proof he is legal here is our marriage certificate.

would same be acceptable for DVLA??

NI number and driving license might take a month to sort out after which we can send his passport to the UKBA for residence card. if we do other way round and apply for residence card first i am afraid we might not get passport back for some half a year or so. and the time is precious.

your advice will be appreciated. thank you in advance!!!!
Hi 31gstonepark

I understood your situation once your married with your BF he will not have any problem according to EU law your husband is legal in this country and then go for Resident Card using form EEA 2 but please ensure your prepare your documents correctly like bank statements, bills on both names, marriage photographs, emails, whatever evidence you can show send it to home office because your husband don't have legal status before so its better you show all the evidence and also read this forum lot and there is many cases similar to your case you will get some idea
NI and driving Licence is not priority the important to apply resident card immidately once your married and then you will receive COA and you can use COA letter to get NI as per on this forum I read it some cases.
thank you
EEA1 & EEA2 Application sent on 26/07/2011
Received by Home Office 27/07/2011
EEA1 and COA Received in one pack 23/09/2011 (Dated 01/09/2011)
Resident Card 18/10/2011