ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR @ Solihull - WP route

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bserge
Newly Registered

ILR @ Solihull - WP route

Post by bserge » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:27 pm

I've lurked around these forums for a month or so but this is my first post. I have got an ILR at the Solihull PEO today and would like to share the experience.

First of all thanks to all the forum members for insight - it has been a useful source of information in the run up to applying.

My case was as follows: WP granted early September 2006, same employer for 5 years, so fairly simple. I did not apply as soon as 28 days to 5 years were up, left it quite late in fact. Got my life in the UK test pass on the 6th of August. And booked an appointment last week (I was undecided whether to do the postal route or PEO).

The application process itself is very simple and was made as pleasant as possible by the great staff at Solihull. I was asked for the following evidence:

- Letter from the employer. My letter stated the date of the original contract on which the WP was based, UKBA code for my role and the fact that I am paid above the required rate, list of absences and a confirmation that they were during paid holiday, confirmation that the company still requires me to work for them.
- 3 payslips
- Life in the UK pass certificate
- Passports
- Police registration
- I have given the case officer the list of my absences with references to pages in the passport printed from excel (an easy way of doing this is just to turn the pages of the passport and note down all stamps, then sort by date and the whole thing should fall in order). In my case absences were not an issue as I only had around 120 days in 5 years.

Nothing else was needed. I had bank statements and a P60 form for the last year - they were not asked for, neither were proof of my professional qualification needed for my job or proof of address. I also wasn't asked to show them the original work permit.

Interesting points to note which were discussed elsewhere but I did not see a definitive answer: My current work title is different to the original WP and my earnings are different (about 2x higher) as well. My employer has also changed the head office address - so it did not match the original WP.

The interview started before the booked appointment time as I was there early and lasted about 5-7 minutes. The ILR was then stamped in 2 hours. Solihull PEO have a poster on their wall promising to deal with a case start to finish in 2:20, and they stuck to their promise in my case.

I will be happy to answer any questions - appreciate my case isn't that tricky but hope it gives confidence to others applying through the WP route.

IAM3576
Newly Registered

Post by IAM3576 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks for posting your experience.
my ILR is due next month and i am planning to apply in personal, can you please send me the link for online appointment and also do we have to pay the fee while making an appointment or can we pay the fee on the day of submitting a application.

bserge
Newly Registered

Post by bserge » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:01 pm

IAM3576 wrote:Thanks for posting your experience.
my ILR is due next month and i am planning to apply in personal, can you please send me the link for online appointment and also do we have to pay the fee while making an appointment or can we pay the fee on the day of submitting a application.
You need to register on the UKBA website before booking an appointment; it can be done here:

https://apply.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/se ... ntRegister

And the payment is taken when you come to the PEO; in my case I paid after the interview with the caseworker.

jimmylau8080

Post by jimmylau8080 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:05 pm

I glad to hear that

Just like to check that you pay fee after the decision made?

bserge
Newly Registered

Post by bserge » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:15 pm

jimmylau8080 wrote:I glad to hear that

Just like to check that you pay fee after the decision made?
I am not too sure on technicalities here - the letter UKBA issue to confirm the granting of ILR is signed by a different person to the caseworker - possibly a senior caseworker. So the caseworker does not seem to make the decision, they do however make sure all evidence is assembled and there is nothing preventing them from granting the ILR. As I don't know at what stage the actual decision to grant ILR is made, I cant answer your question. But I was asked to pay after the interview with the caseworker and after they were satisfied that I had all the necessary evidence. Only turned up to pick up the passport after paying, no more questions.

manishchaudhry

Re: ILR @ Solihull - WP route

Post by manishchaudhry » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:40 am

Congratulations bserge

Could you please tell why were you asked for police registration?

I have to apply for ILR later this year, and wondering if I have to get police registration as well.

Thanks

bserge
Newly Registered

Post by bserge » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:50 am

manishchaudhry wrote:Congratulations bserge

I have to apply for ILR later this year, and wondering if I have to get police registration as well.

Thanks
Only some nationalities need it. Your visa letter from UKBA would have said whether you need to register.

dimsav

Post by dimsav » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:56 am

bserge wrote:

Thanks
Only some nationalities need it. Your visa letter from UKBA would have said whether you need to register.
See further details here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/ecbasi ... gistration

manishchaudhry

Post by manishchaudhry » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:58 am

dimsav wrote:
bserge wrote:

Thanks
See further details here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/ecbasi ... gistration
Thanks for the info guys

genious

Post by genious » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:51 pm

did had any discussion on employer letter.
how important was employer letter for the case worker, did he spent lot of time on it.

thanks and congratulations.

Palprithvi
Newly Registered

ILR-police registration

Post by Palprithvi » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:07 pm

hi friends,
is it mandatory to to have police registration certificate to have at the time of applying for ILR?

If i dont have do i need to register at the police station. i have not registered myself at police station since last five yrs.

dimsav

Re: ILR-police registration

Post by dimsav » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Palprithvi wrote:is it mandatory to to have police registration certificate to have at the time of applying for ILR?
YES, if you had to register and get one. They check your police registration records, and then with issuing an ILR have to put a stamp in your police certificate that you are no longer subject to immigration control. (Another option is that they tell you to visit the police station you are registered with, and do such a stamp there.) After ILR, you wont require police registration any more, but I advice to keep the old certificate "just in case".
Palprithvi wrote:If i dont have do i need to register at the police station. i have not registered myself at police station since last five yrs.
First, check your visa if it states that the police registration is necessary (usually in 7 days after arrival in the UK). Then also check your nationality at the link given above.

bserge
Newly Registered

Post by bserge » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:25 pm

genious wrote:did had any discussion on employer letter.
how important was employer letter for the case worker, did he spent lot of time on it.

thanks and congratulations.
I think the employer letter is the key piece of evidence for Work Permit applications. My letter was quite well drafted and answered all the questions clearly so not a lot of time was needed.