ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can't figure out if I qualify for naturalization or somethin

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

AngusEm
Newly Registered

Can't figure out if I qualify for naturalization or somethin

Post by AngusEm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:48 am

I told my dad the process I was going through to get an Ancestry visa and he told me that he went through something similar and got citizenship out of it. I'm reading through this government site trying to figure out if I qualify but I can't get past the doublespeak. This is my situation:
  • My father is a Canadian national and naturalized under some unknown act
  • My mother was born to British missionaries in a Belgian colony but registered British when she was 5
  • I was born in Canada in 1971
  • I never lived in the UK
  • 3 grandparents were born in the UK
So do I qualify? And as academic interest, any clue as to how my dad got a passport? He never lived in the UK either.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:50 pm

You may want to investigate your father's naturalisation. Did he live in the UK at any time? If your dad was naturalised in the UK before you were born then it probably means he is 'British otherwise than by descent' meaning he may pass this on to you.

so you may already have British citizenship

AngusEm
Newly Registered

Post by AngusEm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:54 pm

My father only got his citizenship about 10 years ago. The only time he lived in the UK was probably for a year or two--not enough to count for anything. He says that he was able to obtain it because his father was born in Scotland before about 1926.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:08 pm

in that case its hard to see how your father can pass it onto you. not sure about the mother route as she was born outside UK. it might very well be that you may need to go the ancestry visa route.

maybe the expects here will add their comments