ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british citizenship processing time

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chocho

british citizenship processing time

Post by chocho » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi All,

I have applied for British Citizenship through westminster NCS on 21 July this year on the basis of residence (ILR) and I received the acknowledgement letter 3 weeks later (the council having specified that in busy times it take 2-4 weeks). Since then no news.
I am entirely eligible for British citizenship, the only thing is that I am currently a jobseeker (since June this year) and I mentioned that on the application adding the fact that I was waiting for a response from the jobcenter on the jobseeker allowance.

Yet when I hear about people receiving their citizenship approval letters in 5/6 weeks I am curious to know what is wrong with my application, why is it taking longer than usual, and how long I will need to wait to hear back from home office.

Any colour please would be of paramount help.

rnr79
Member of Standing

Re: british citizenship processing time

Post by rnr79 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:51 pm

chocho wrote:Hi All,

I have applied for British Citizenship through westminster NCS on 21 July this year on the basis of residence (ILR) and I received the acknowledgement letter 3 weeks later (the council having specified that in busy times it take 2-4 weeks). Since then no news.
I am entirely eligible for British citizenship, the only thing is that I am currently a jobseeker (since June this year) and I mentioned that on the application adding the fact that I was waiting for a response from the jobcenter on the jobseeker allowance.

Yet when I hear about people receiving their citizenship approval letters in 5/6 weeks I am curious to know what is wrong with my application, why is it taking longer than usual, and how long I will need to wait to hear back from home office.

Any colour please would be of paramount help.
chocho mate getting decision/approval in 5-6 weeks a thing of past but i think very few applications get decision in that time these days...

In general applications are taking 3-3.5 months...if you checks few posts on this forums there are some people waiting since april so there isn't anything unusual with your application...you just need to wait for few more weeks thats it... I know its painful waiting time...but dont post same thing in a number of threads here...
Last edited by rnr79 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:52 pm

BC applicants are advised by the UKBA that applications could take between 3 - 6 months, so it's early days yet.

To put things in perspective: citizenship in this case is not your right but a privilege, and it is entirely up to the UKBA whether to grant it or not and how long they take to do so.

I think that applicants in this country are somewhat spoiled when you consider other EU/EEA/EFTA countries (e.g CH, NL, F) where naturalisation applications normally take years. Yes - years.

Having said this, I can appreciate your anxiety...

chocho

Post by chocho » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:01 pm

I think I have been misled by the few guys who have been granted citizenship in 5/6 weeks this year. It looks exceptional given what you say. And yes you're right BC, unlike benefits, is definitely not a right. So I will sit and wait. thanks for sharing your comments

karwan1

Post by karwan1 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:12 pm

BC is not even a privilege...it is a dream...I have been waiting for 8 months so far...no outcome yet.

perm55
Newly Registered

Post by perm55 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Mine took 3 months, my wife's took exactly 1 months, my daugter's registration took 6 weeks... As you can see there is no exact timing so some people luckly get decision before 3 months some exactly some applicants wait more, so all you need to do wait and see... your appl. is new... Now appl. sent in may getting their approvalls so give them at least 3 Months then you can start calling them about progress....

winber

Post by winber » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:35 am

Does anybody know why it is taking so long all of a sudden? I have a friend that applied in January, and it only took two weeks to get the Citizenship approval. Now it is taking that long just to get an acknowledgement letter!

shs213

Post by shs213 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:59 pm

winber wrote:Does anybody know why it is taking so long all of a sudden? I have a friend that applied in January, and it only took two weeks to get the Citizenship approval. Now it is taking that long just to get an acknowledgement letter!
this question is been asked so many times in different threads - wish we knew!

do a bit of a search in the lift after naturalisation (or something like that) thread... you will find ppl sharing ther opinions speaking to HO...

You will notice everyone is as clear as mud when it comes to Why it's taking so long!!

Good luck... btw; i am waiting too...

winber

Post by winber » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:21 pm

@shs213 Thanks for the reply, I'll have a read through that thread. One wonders if they have been instructed to go slow...

Good luck with your application too!

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:57 am

Has anyone considered the Summer holiday months, with staff taking annual leave? :?

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:14 am

Average time taken is 3 months, it got about 2 wks slow with Bank Holiday, Easter and fee going up.
The decision making process takes only 2 wks, its before and after that takes up time in a queaue.
Certain cases may take longer and that will depend upon individuals.
All the best to who are waiting. I can say for myself that sent during the rush period of April this year, my application had taken 10-11 wks.