ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cant get employment with EEA Family Permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

agbaka
Newly Registered

Cant get employment with EEA Family Permit

Post by agbaka » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:53 am

Hello everyone,
i just got into the uk a few weeks ago with an eea family permit and i am finding it very hard to prove to employers that i am allowed to work even after the six months expire date printed on my eea family permit. i have told them this is just the date, within which, i must enter the uk but they are not buying my story.

is it possible for me to obtain a letter from the home office stating that i am allowed to remain and work here because i cant not wait for my residence stamp to come through before getting a job. up to six months without working just seems far to long. i want to get a job before sending my passport of to them.

guys what should i do. how do i resolve this problem?

thanks

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:29 am

So you are in the UK right now and have shown your EEA FP to employers? Most large employers should already know the rules.

You might want to read through and refer the employer to http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/busin ... pport/ecs/

Guerro
Member of Standing

Post by Guerro » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:35 am

Unfortunately, I went through the same story and employers don't trust the family permit and asked me: what are you going to do after 6 months? If you are refused, what are you going to do? The problem with eea route is that many employers and even ukba staff are not fully aware of how it works.
Back to your problem, I registered with employment agencies and did some retail and warehouse jobs till I got my rc and started my dental career. Otherwise, claim job seekers allowance for the time being

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Cant get employment with EEA Family Permit

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:23 am

The EEA permit is merely an entry clearance. Yes, you do have automatic rights to live and work in the UK (if your EEA partner is exercising treaty rights) but in order to prove this to employers (and for other bureaucratic purposes) you should apply for a residence permit.

agbaka
Newly Registered

Post by agbaka » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:46 pm

thanks so much for all the advice. i have heard that i am better off sending my EEA 2 application to EEA 1 along with my wife's application. In the mean time, cant i send a letter to the home office asking for them to write me a letter stating what my rights are so i can present it to employers. if this is possible, which address or fax No. should i write to?

Thanks so much for your support. i don't think i will claim job seekers. the home office would love to use that against me in the future.

dadnew
Newly Registered

Post by dadnew » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Your COA for EEA2 application should suffice to prove to employers that you are lawfully resident and can work in the UK. I think there is a link somewhere on UKBA website stating this as well.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:32 am

dadnew wrote:Your COA for EEA2 application should suffice to prove to employers that you are lawfully resident and can work in the UK. I think there is a link somewhere on UKBA website stating this as well.
That's right but the CoA mentions that it would only be valid for six months which probably makes it as convincing as the EEA FP.

agbaka
Newly Registered

Post by agbaka » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:06 pm

dadnew wrote:Your COA for EEA2 application should suffice to prove to employers that you are lawfully resident and can work in the UK. I think there is a link somewhere on UKBA website stating this as well.

actually i was not given a COA. in fact, the ukba held unto my passport and refused to give it back. they only agreed to give it back when i informed them that i had made up my mind to return to my country and marry. only then did they return it. even so, it was only returned when i was in the airport with my boarding pass in my hand lol.

applying for an EEA family permit in a country like nigeria is so so hard. visa office play loads of tricks on people. in fact, if one is uninformed or lacking God on their side, they will definitely not get it because every error will most likely be exploited visa officers.

agbaka
Newly Registered

Post by agbaka » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:18 pm

oh. . . i get it. i did not even know about the Certificate of Application for the Residence Card untill now. ok, i'm happy with that.

cheers people. this is why i love immigrationboards.

thanks

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:48 pm

COA is definitely a confusing acronym. Used by UKBA in two very different ways...