ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR after getting UK Citizenship

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

joh118

ILR after getting UK Citizenship

Post by joh118 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:48 pm

I am just wondering if I will be able to still use my ILR on my native passport to enter the UK even if I have a UK citizenship.

thanks

malepiscean

Re: ILR after getting UK Citizenship

Post by malepiscean » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:37 am

joh118 wrote:I am just wondering if I will be able to still use my ILR on my native passport to enter the UK even if I have a UK citizenship.

thanks
Why would you want to do that? Why would you not enter UK using British Passport if you have it?
If the question is also partly about retaining your previous passport, then that entirely depends on which country it belongs to.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:12 am

malepiscean wrote:
joh118 wrote:I am just wondering if I will be able to still use my ILR on my native passport to enter the UK even if I have a UK citizenship.

thanks
Why would you want to do that? Why would you not enter UK using British Passport if you have it?
If the question is also partly about retaining your previous passport, then that entirely depends on which country it belongs to.
no because I want to visit my native country which doesn't allow dual citizenship. So I want to leave my UK passport in the UK and just take my native passport which still has my ILR.

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:14 am

joh118 wrote:
malepiscean wrote:

thanks
no because I want to visit my native country which doesn't allow dual citizenship. So I want to leave my UK passport in the UK and just take my native passport which still has my ILR.
Watch out bro. In my opinion it is illegal to use the passport of your native country as your citizenship of your native country is automatically revoked when you get british citizenship. You plan to pretend that you have only ILR whereas you have nationality

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:41 am

khalidmirza wrote:
joh118 wrote:
malepiscean wrote:

thanks
Watch out bro. In my opinion it is illegal to use the passport of your native country as your citizenship of your native country is automatically revoked when you get british citizenship. You plan to pretend that you have only ILR whereas you have nationality
its not illegal because I can keep 2 nationalities as long as I don't make use of or bring 2 passports of different nationalities into my native country! That is the law.

so please can someone answer my original question?

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:50 am

This does not sound right. If your native country does not allow dual citizenship as you stated initially, then how can you "keep 2 nationalities"? It's the same thing - keeping two nationalities and allowing dual citizenship (it is not possible to allow the one but not the other if it's the same thing).

If you cannot bring two passports into your native country, then your country probably does not allow dual citizenship no matter how you try to explain it away. (Countries which allow dual citizenship often ask their citizens to travel on their local passport when entering the country - maybe this is what you are getting confused with?).

What is your native country?

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 am

If your native country finds out by any information exchange agreement with UK, then they can revoke your nationality.

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:47 am

linkers wrote:If your native country finds out by any information exchange agreement with UK, then they can revoke your nationality.
I wonder how anyone can do that ... when you send your passport for Citizenship wont the UKBA endorse your native passport saying you now have british citizenship and your passport is invalid ... ???

If they don't then that's a big hole in their security ... :roll:

genorp

Post by genorp » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:24 pm

I wonder how anyone can do that ... when you send your passport for Citizenship wont the UKBA endorse your native passport saying you now have british citizenship and your passport is invalid ... ???
Of course not.
1) The passport doesn't belong to them, it belongs to the issuing country.
2) It's not up to the UKBA to cancel another passport, even if the other country disallows dual citizenship. If the other country doesn't, then after information exchange the issuing country can revoke citizenship if they don't allow it.
3) Many countries allow dual citizenship, UKBA wouldn't cancel the passport of a country that allows it. I don't think the US, Australian, or Swiss governments would take to kindly to it!

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:46 pm

joh118 wrote:
khalidmirza wrote:
joh118 wrote:
malepiscean wrote: Why would you want to do that? Why would you not enter UK using British Passport if you have it?
its not illegal because I can keep 2 nationalities as long as I don't make use of or bring 2 passports of different nationalities into my native country! That is the law.

so please can someone answer my original question?
The whole issue confuses me. At one point you say your native country does not allow dual citizenship. In the same breath you claim you can have two passports. Dual nationality persons can keep two passports. It is so simple. Please be explicit of your circumstances so forum members can genuinely help you

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:22 pm

I can keep 2 passports as long as I don't take advantage of or make use of or try to enter my country with the UK passport. This advice is coming from the embassy website.

So I need to leave my UK passport behind when I travel. The ILR isn't cancelled and nor is my passport as contrary to what some people have said.

Maybe I should just call UKBA and ask.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:56 pm

which country are you referring to here? can you post the link?

e.g. India also doesn't recognise dual citizenship and one needs to surrender the passport once foreign citizenship is acquired otherwise it's an offence under indian law.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:03 pm

ban.s wrote:which country are you referring to here? can you post the link?

e.g. India also doesn't recognise dual citizenship and one needs to surrender the passport once foreign citizenship is acquired otherwise it's an offence under indian law.
As you can't read my language, there won't be any point but I have found it on wikipedia.
A revised nationality law passed on April 21, 2010, by the National Assembly of South Korea and in effect since January 1, 2011, granted a limited number of persons dual citizenship.
These persons include:
Koreans with multiple nationalities who has vowed his/her intention not to exercise his/her foreign nationality in the Republic of Korea
so i hope you all now understand how it is possible for dual citizenship to be illegal and legal at the same time.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:12 pm

So how does that statement relate to the fact that you cannot carry your foreign passport with you, but use your native passport? I know of a few countries which allow dual citizenship as long as you do not use your foreign passport to enter the country (e.g. in your case, if this is the same, the requirement would be that you can use your British passport to leave the UK - not that you really need one, but that you use your Korean passport to enter and leave the country and then use your British passport to enter Britain again).

That said, I know zero about Korean law, so it might very well be that I am barking up the wrong tree.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 am

mulderpf wrote:So how does that statement relate to the fact that you cannot carry your foreign passport with you, but use your native passport? I know of a few countries which allow dual citizenship as long as you do not use your foreign passport to enter the country (e.g. in your case, if this is the same, the requirement would be that you can use your British passport to leave the UK - not that you really need one, but that you use your Korean passport to enter and leave the country and then use your British passport to enter Britain again).

That said, I know zero about Korean law, so it might very well be that I am barking up the wrong tree.
I am no expert in law either but from what I understand, the 'vow' includes agreeing not not to carry both passports into the country as that will give me the 'power' to use both nationalities.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:26 am

joh118 wrote:
mulderpf wrote:So how does that statement relate to the fact that you cannot carry your foreign passport with you, but use your native passport? I know of a few countries which allow dual citizenship as long as you do not use your foreign passport to enter the country (e.g. in your case, if this is the same, the requirement would be that you can use your British passport to leave the UK - not that you really need one, but that you use your Korean passport to enter and leave the country and then use your British passport to enter Britain again).

I am no expert in law either but from what I understand, the 'vow' includes agreeing not not to carry both passports into the country as that will give me the 'power' to use both nationalities.
You have the power whether you have the passport or not.

Perhaps you should get this checked out.