ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Petition against the recent Fee changes

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

manuce

Petition against the recent Fee changes

Post by manuce » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Hello Guys,

Is there a website where I can sign petition against these recent crazy changes in application fees. on all categories.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... b-2012.pdf

This looks like since we don't raise the concern they can do what ever they like to. We pay thousands of pounds in taxes and then they want more in this ridicoulous increase of fee not 10 or 20 percent its upto 50% increase looks like they want to pay off the debt from these immigration fees now,what a nice way of cutting corners welldone !

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:18 pm

jaravind
Newly Registered

Post by jaravind » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Any petitions created already ? Please share it if there is already one created.

jaravind
Newly Registered

Post by jaravind » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:53 pm

[/list]Visa type Visa fees as on % Increase in 2 years
06-Apr-10 22-Dec-10 06-Apr-12 01/04/2012(Proposed)
Tier 1 visa - main applicant 840 850 1000 1500 79%
Tier 1 visa dependant 129 250 500 750 481%
Tier 1 visa - main applicant PEO 1095 1150 1300 1800 64%
Tier 1 visa dependant PEO 154 300 650 900 484%
[/list]

manuce

Post by manuce » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:42 am

Looks like the petition has not being created,I will create one and will post the link here so please keep checking this page. Thanks

jaravind
Newly Registered

Post by jaravind » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks dude. Please highlight the fact that this is fourth increase in last 2 years, see the percentage increase. Also, Tier 1 general route is currently closed and hence this increase is only applicable for people like us who are already paying 1000s of taxes.

manuce

Post by manuce » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:11 am

We are paying thousands of pounds in taxes and also claiming no benefits. Yet we are the first one to be suffered all the time due to these ridiculous changes and used as punch bags.

Problem is with us, we don't register our concern and let them get away with what ever they like to. They increase the rail fairs and did you guys see the public and media response. Atleast it was not as crazy as ours upto79% increase unblievable.

I can't stress enough how unfair this is and how everyone should pariticapte actively in the petition to register their concern. Also writing emails to the concened MPs will really help.you can check who is your MP from here.

http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/

This unfair behaviour from home office needs to stop.Can every one please forward this post address to your friends or promote it via facebook or similar website.

so that we can register our concerns as soon as possible. Thanksalot

jaravind
Newly Registered

Post by jaravind » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:49 am

Have you created a petition? If yes, Please post it here

manuce

Post by manuce » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 am

I have filed for it they are saying it will take them 7 days to review to be put online. I will post the link as soon as it will be online,in the mean while please raise awareness to friends to convery your concern.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Would you want to share the content that you've posted, on this board? As this affects all the people on this board and we generally don't want to be represented inappropriately.

Worst could be a petition with grammatical errors. I am just saying that share it and get corrections if needed, and then post it.

manuce

Post by manuce » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi,

I have posted it already, once it will be online I will post it back at the forum. If someone can write a better petition or have previous experience in writing petitions, please do so and I can cancel mine. I have tried to keep it short.I will surely post once its online. Thank you.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:34 pm

No worries...The only thing that you need to consider in such cases is that you are representing a group and one tiny mistake spills the beans.

manuce

Post by manuce » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:50 pm

you are right and I agree. Should have posted it over here first didn't realise in hurry and apologise for my mistake.

salloo

Post by salloo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:46 am

Looking forward to it.
salloo

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:47 am

I know this would not be a popular opinion, but I don't think it is right to proceed with this petition. the government can always give a "take it or leave it" argument, i.e. people on tier 1 visas are here by choice - they are economic migrants who unlike asylum seekers do not face persecution back home.

lets be frank with ourselves taking residence in the UK for those of us on tier 1 visas is something we chose to do. no one was forced into it. don't get me wrong, everyone has the right to seize every opportunity to improve one's life. the government has opened up an avenue for migration that was not available many years ago and would probably not be available in the future.

the primary responsibility of the UK government is to its citizens. if the citizens of the country are feeling pain, it is the government's duty to ease that pain; and if that means stepping on the toes of immigrants so be it. as much as we contribute economically to the country's finances, we are still economic migrants - it has not been altruistic; i would not imagine that tier 1 visa holders gave up better economic lives to come contribute to the UK economy.

having said that, if any petition is to be made it should be for improving services. if one is going to pay £1,500 (or £6,000+ for those with dependents) for a service, then that service would better be quick. From the document posted earlier last week, it costs UKBA £181 to process each application. If that's the cost, why should anyone wait for four weeks just to get a biometrics letter? clearly their processes and systems need to be improved. a two week wait is more than enough.

on a lighter note, another petition could be to increase UKBA staff salaries by 25% or so. the poor guys should also benefit from the additional revenue they are helping the government collect. maybe they'll work harder to get things done quicker.

PS. if anyone from UKBA is reading this, i'm still waiting for my biometrics letter a month after submitting my extension application.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:58 am

Chris,

The visa fees are higher and all of us agree / disagree to that point but if UKBA had a better service in terms of tracking and responses, I would have been happy to pay the extra fee and this is just my personal opinion. I agree to some extent to what you've said and I tried to make that point earlier, the point about 'choice'.

In general the consensus is that the fee increase is unjust and if the Govt. rejects the petition with an iron hand, do we really have a choice but to accept the fee.

What it comes down to: would you support this petition or not? I would

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:12 pm

i would support a petition for better service: e.g. give prompt feedback, allow applicants track the progress of their applications, and faster delivery.

i would not support a petition against new fees on the basis that it is not a "right."

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:21 pm

i should add - one can't raise a petition saying that the fee changes are unjust. why?

1. we have no contract with the UK government regarding fees. the contract with the government allows us to work here having met certain eligibility criteria - which is still up to their discretion.

2. if one says the fee changes are unfair and unjust, you might as well say the whole points system is unjust. what about those people without university degrees?

3. the rules of the game have been put in place. choosing to play the game means accepting those rules, even if the rules change during play.

i think energy should been expended in the right direction.

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Whilst I agree to some of the points you've raised herewith, I strongly oppose the others.

I agree we were not forced to come to the UK and settle down. I agree UK government has duty of care towards their own citizen first. I agree, however to correct, not government, UK constitute has allowed us to enter the UK for better prospects

However, I do not agree or approve the unjustified increment in "ONLY" Tier 1 General Migrant Visa fees. What exactly have we done here to bear that? We have, least every single one I know whose on T1 G Visa, abide by the laws, have stayed onto the right side of the law and done everything asked for. Had fees been increased for everyone, I would accept happily. This is unjustified as to only one class of migration community gets higher increment. I would rather want government introduce something that will completely overhaul criteria. However, very unfortunately they probably wouldn't do that to avoid another HSMP case in court and waste Tax payer's money.

As Sam mentioned above, we will at the end have no option but to pay for it. BUT WHY NOT RAISE OUR VOICE AND TRY. You don't get if you don't try/ask they say.

So, I am hand-in-hand with everyone who supports this petition, even though, I am in very well paid job and does affect me paying few hundreds extra!!!
chrischris wrote:I know this would not be a popular opinion, but I don't think it is right to proceed with this petition. the government can always give a "take it or leave it" argument, i.e. people on tier 1 visas are here by choice - they are economic migrants who unlike asylum seekers do not face persecution back home.

lets be frank with ourselves taking residence in the UK for those of us on tier 1 visas is something we chose to do. no one was forced into it. don't get me wrong, everyone has the right to seize every opportunity to improve one's life. the government has opened up an avenue for migration that was not available many years ago and would probably not be available in the future.

the primary responsibility of the UK government is to its citizens. if the citizens of the country are feeling pain, it is the government's duty to ease that pain; and if that means stepping on the toes of immigrants so be it. as much as we contribute economically to the country's finances, we are still economic migrants - it has not been altruistic; i would not imagine that tier 1 visa holders gave up better economic lives to come contribute to the UK economy.

having said that, if any petition is to be made it should be for improving services. if one is going to pay £1,500 (or £6,000+ for those with dependents) for a service, then that service would better be quick. From the document posted earlier last week, it costs UKBA £181 to process each application. If that's the cost, why should anyone wait for four weeks just to get a biometrics letter? clearly their processes and systems need to be improved. a two week wait is more than enough.

on a lighter note, another petition could be to increase UKBA staff salaries by 25% or so. the poor guys should also benefit from the additional revenue they are helping the government collect. maybe they'll work harder to get things done quicker.

PS. if anyone from UKBA is reading this, i'm still waiting for my biometrics letter a month after submitting my extension application.
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:36 pm

The unjust can be proved by a simple comparison. What is so special about T1 visa that attracts so much hike compared to other visa categories? Or am I missing some obvious logic here?
chrischris wrote:i should add - one can't raise a petition saying that the fee changes are unjust. why?

1. we have no contract with the UK government regarding fees. the contract with the government allows us to work here having met certain eligibility criteria - which is still up to their discretion.

2. if one says the fee changes are unfair and unjust, you might as well say the whole points system is unjust. what about those people without university degrees?

3. the rules of the game have been put in place. choosing to play the game means accepting those rules, even if the rules change during play.

i think energy should been expended in the right direction.
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

thebionicredneck2003
Member of Standing

Post by thebionicredneck2003 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:54 pm

I agree with Rax1983.

Although ChrisChris has made some good points, if an increase of 50% is made for Tier 1 General, then why isn't the same increase applied across board for other visas as well?

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:05 pm

[quote="raxs1983"]The unjust can be proved by a simple comparison. What is so special about T1 visa that attracts so much hike compared to other visa categories? Or am I missing some obvious logic here?
[/quote]

i was implying that anything can made to look unjust.

but i believe you raised an important point. the tier 1 visa is the only visa that gives one permission to enter the country without having a job offer here first. therefore it is attractive to applicants and unlike other tiers one is not forced to leave the country if one loses his/her job or wants to change jobs.

having said this the tier 1 is a very attractive visa and would be in high demand. the implication with the restricted numbers the government is trying to attain means that demand far outstrips supply... when demand exceeds supply, prices naturally go up.

i've worked in a country where my work permit was tied to my job and if i lost my job i had to leave the country within 30 days. i will tell you that it was one of the worst experiences in my life knowing that i was at the mercy of my employer.

i would honestly tell you, rather than look at the costs, look at the benefits of the visa. i'm very sure the benefits far outweigh the additional costs; if they don't then one should not be here in the first place.

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Everyone knows the benefits attached to T1 and no one ever moaned about them. Whilst I am sympathetic to what had happened to you, I do not encourage or approve a biased decision to hit ONLY T1 G Migrants with the such high increase in the fees, when most others aren't increased so much.

And since when did UKBA become a profit making business (to imply your theory of Supply Vs Demand)? Tell me if I was in different planet all this while!

Neither I am trying to cause any grievance nor any offence at you or at UKBA. The feeling in general is, the hike "appears" to be unfair when compared with others. And when Mr Green issued statement, his specific words were - "Given the ongoing need to reduce public spending, we believe it is right that we continue to seek to reduce the burden on UK taxpayers of delivering the border and immigration system by asking migrants to make a greater contribution to the funding of the UK Border Agency" Full Article HERE

We already pay £1000 (or £1300 for in person applications) for Extension and I am sure it is to cover the cost of processing documents and man-hours. WE are paying tax, in my case upto 33%+ WE are paying National Insurance. - AND WAIT - Now how on earth are "ONLY" T1 migrants costing UK Tax payers arms and Legs will be beyond any educated person's understanding.

What more we expect next - T1 General Migrant Petrol Price - £2.10p a litre :mrgreen:!!!!

No offence taken nor Given.

chrischris wrote:
raxs1983 wrote:The unjust can be proved by a simple comparison. What is so special about T1 visa that attracts so much hike compared to other visa categories? Or am I missing some obvious logic here?
i was implying that anything can made to look unjust.

but i believe you raised an important point. the tier 1 visa is the only visa that gives one permission to enter the country without having a job offer here first. therefore it is attractive to applicants and unlike other tiers one is not forced to leave the country if one loses his/her job or wants to change jobs.

having said this the tier 1 is a very attractive visa and would be in high demand. the implication with the restricted numbers the government is trying to attain means that demand far outstrips supply... when demand exceeds supply, prices naturally go up.

i've worked in a country where my work permit was tied to my job and if i lost my job i had to leave the country within 30 days. i will tell you that it was one of the worst experiences in my life knowing that i was at the mercy of my employer.

i would honestly tell you, rather than look at the costs, look at the benefits of the visa. i'm very sure the benefits far outweigh the additional costs; if they don't then one should not be here in the first place.

thebionicredneck2003
Member of Standing

Post by thebionicredneck2003 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Once again Chris you make some valid points.

Personally, I see the major problem with the increase this way: Over the past 2 years, the cost of extending a Tier 1 visa has almost doubled. If no one takes a stand or voices a concern, who is to say in 2013 the price does not skyrocket to £3,000. In my hypothetical scenario can you imagine how much a family of 4 would have to pay to get an extension?

Just to be clear, it is not unfair to increase prices as required to cover admin costs and other running costs, but there has to be a fair balance.

At the moment, no one can justify paying £1,500 when the admin cost of processing one application is £181 in addition to the amount of taxes we are already paying at work.

thebionicredneck2003
Member of Standing

Post by thebionicredneck2003 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:55 pm

Lol Raxs1983
raxs1983 wrote:What more do we expect next - T1 General Migrant Petrol Price - £2.10p a litre
I couldn't agree with you more