ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application - need to send foreign passport?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

juso73

Passport application - need to send foreign passport?

Post by juso73 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:26 am

My husband has had his naturalisation ceremony (thanks to everyone here who helped us get there!!) and would now like to apply for the British Passport asap.

Is it necessary to send his foreign passport together with the naturalisation certificate? A friend of ours (same nationality as my husband) insists she only took copies of her foreign passport, had it authenticated at the passport office (as part of the check and send service) and send these together with the original naturalisation certificate and application form...

My husband needs his current passport as he might have to travel soon but at the same time would like to apply for the British one asap. What are other's experiences? Is there a way to apply for the first British Passport without sending the current foreign one?

Many thanks!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:16 pm

The passport guide clearly states.
guide wrote: This includes passports you are included on or were included on (for example, as a child) and passports issued by other countries. With your application you must send us any passport which is current or which is no longer valid but has not been replaced. If you don’t, this will delay your application.
Your call.

strajeev
Newly Registered

Post by strajeev » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Yes. If you have mentioned it in the passport application form, then you have to send all passports which is not cancelled. This includes British & other countries.

It is not a good idea to travel abroad while your passport application is in progress. They may need to contact you for any further details or interview.

I'd prefer to get the passport first before go away as the progress may take around 2 weeks only.

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Interestingly when I spoke to IPS they said that you must not leave the country during the application process, though if that is call centre staff making their own conclusions or "the law" as they said it was I dont know.