ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in UK test. Please help

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

man_piy
Newly Registered

Life in UK test. Please help

Post by man_piy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi All,

I have a been a regular reader on this forum which I must admit is really helpful.

And now, am in a situation and would like your views. I booked for a Life in UK test for this week using my residence permit as one of the acceptable form of ID. My residence permit is in a form of a sticker on my passpot with all my Tier 1 visa details & my photo. I have only received this form of residence permit back in 2009 and no biometric or any sort of card.

But the test centre refused to accept this a residence permit & was told that it should be in the form of a card or a seperate document or else I wouldnt be allowed to take the test.

After failed attempts to convince them, returned back home and found this definition on their website:

A UK Residence Permit, An Immigration Status Document, endorsed with a UK Residence Permit with a photo of the holder (may be out of date)

Is this something worth taking up with LIUK helpline?

any help is highly appreciated.

regards

Piyush

Post by 2012 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

1. This is the exact copy of the requirements from their web site.

Are there any identification requirements?
Yes, you need to bring photographic ID with you to your test centre to present to the test supervisor. You must bring one of the following forms of ID (please note photos on all documents must be a true likeness of you for them to be accepted and photocopies of documents will not be accepted):

1. a passport (from your country of origin) - this document may be out of date

2. a UK photocard driving licence, full or provisional - this document must be in date

3. one of the following Home Office travel documents: a Convention Travel Document (CTD), a Certificate of Identity Document (CID) or a Stateless Person Document (SPD) - this document must be in date

4. an Immigration Status Document, endorsed with a UK Residence Permit and bearing a photo of the holder - this document may be out of date

5. Home Office Identity Card - ID Card will show the holder's status and entitlements (e.g. Employment Prohibited)

6. You must also bring official proof of your postcode in order to take your test - this could be a bank or utility bill.

The mistake you have made is if i am right that u said that u booked the test saying Residence Permit (which is a new type of permit on a card). However, you shud have selected just passport as Residence Permit is a seperate card. So the test centre was expecting to see your card and hence refused the test.

cherryplum

Post by cherryplum » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:09 pm

I used a sticker in my passport and UK driving licence photo card. I guess it was about 3 years ago and biometric cards were not around then - don't see how the old style stamps are not valid - I still have my old style stamp for ILR and have never bene told to change it and it was accepted for my job when I started and for BC.

m.j

Re: Life in UK test. Please help

Post by m.j » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:09 pm

man_piy wrote:Hi All,

I have a been a regular reader on this forum which I must admit is really helpful.

And now, am in a situation and would like your views. I booked for a Life in UK test for this week using my residence permit as one of the acceptable form of ID. My residence permit is in a form of a sticker on my passpot with all my Tier 1 visa details & my photo. I have only received this form of residence permit back in 2009 and no biometric or any sort of card.

But the test centre refused to accept this a residence permit & was told that it should be in the form of a card or a seperate document or else I wouldnt be allowed to take the test.

After failed attempts to convince them, returned back home and found this definition on their website:

A UK Residence Permit, An Immigration Status Document, endorsed with a UK Residence Permit with a photo of the holder (may be out of date)

Is this something worth taking up with LIUK helpline?

any help is highly appreciated.

regards

Piyush
Any reason why you used Residence Permit as identity proof.
You could have done it using your Passport which is the best form of identity proof.

man_piy
Newly Registered

Post by man_piy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:21 pm

[/quote]

Any reason why you used Residence Permit as identity proof.
You could have done it using your Passport which is the best form of identity proof.[/quote]

I didnt realise this to be an issue, and to be honest this was the document (scanned copy) I had in hand, so just went ahead with without even a slightest doubt that its authencity is questionable.

But the test centre rep. told me that it is not a residence permit even though i told him that these cards didnt exist when my residence permit was granted. And the sticker clearly states it is a Valid UK residence permit with my photo id.

Is there something that i am missing from their definition of UK residence permit?

thanks

Piyush

Post by 2012 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:40 pm

Man-Piy, U did not read my answer properly. U did make a mistake and i have stated the reasons why the test centre did not let you take the test.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:02 am

man_piy wrote:
An Immigration Status Document (ISD) is given to an applicant following the grant of leave where no passport is held, or where it would not be appropriate to endorse a national passport.
This is not same as the visa stamp (vignette) sticker on the passport.