ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel on Indian passport and return on British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vickyindelhi
Newly Registered

Travel on Indian passport and return on British passport

Post by vickyindelhi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi
I have just received my minor daughters British passport and want to know if she will be able to travel to India on her Indian passport and return using her British passport?

The dependent ILR on her Indian passport is no longer valid.
She is still under the 3 month grace period allowed on the Indian passport
Both the parents have a ILR on their passports

Since, I am travelling in 2 weeks, I do not have the time to surrender her passport and apply for a visa

Appreciate some quick advice

Regards

Vikram

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Not an issue from the UK authorities.

I suspect it should not be an issue from the Indian authorities also (as she has a ILR stamp. They don't know it is invalid) but as I don't know much about Indian immigration rules, I suggest you ask your question in the other counties section of the forum.

macgyver

Post by macgyver » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:40 pm

I have read in this forum that somebody had difficulty doing so when coming back at the UK entry port.
If I remember correctly, it took a bit of explaining arround but eventually they managed.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Why?
As the UK is concerned, she has a UK issued passport. She left the UK with a British passport (the fact that she showed an Indian passport to the airline to get around the visa requirement is not relevant) and she returns on a British passport. The IO never asks a BC where they have been and look for stamps in their passports. They just smile (well, not always) and say welcome back home.

vickyindelhi
Newly Registered

additional information

Post by vickyindelhi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Though the parents have a ILR, the daughter does not have a ILR, she has a dependent Tier 1 that is still under validity wrt to time but may be invalid because parents now have a different status
the daughter now has a British passport and an Indian passport that has a the above visa
will the Indian authorities object to the entry of the child?
What citizenship should I. Quote in the landing card

vipul1981

Post by vipul1981 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:28 pm

Ideally u should surrender Indian passport and get visa and travel.

vsh

Re: Travel on Indian passport and return on British passport

Post by vsh » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:14 pm

vickyindelhi wrote: Since, I am travelling in 2 weeks, I do not have the time to surrender her passport and apply for a visa
you can surrender her passport and apply for visa at same time so u only need 3 days for the processing of visa.