ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CAN I APPLY FOR COUNCIL HOUSE? PLEASE HELP

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dev_0891
Newly Registered

CAN I APPLY FOR COUNCIL HOUSE? PLEASE HELP

Post by dev_0891 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:52 am

Hello Friends, may i please request for your advice, i have got the ILR but my wife and one son (7yrs) are with me and i have to apply for their FLR M and then SETTLEMENT. my question is that i want to apply for the council house, will there be any problem for my wife and son in getting FLR and settlement because of the council house?. also what documents will i need to apply for my family's flr and settlement afterward.

Your precious advice will be heartly appreciated
Thanks.

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:11 am

I really don't see how applying for council flat will affect settlement app for your family.

The earlier you get on the housing waiting list the better.

Best wishes

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:46 am

As your wife is still subject to Immigration control, you can only be given council housing if you qualify in your own right....i.e your wife can't be included in the points awarded.
What visa category do your wife and son have at present?

John

Post by John » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Casa, I agree, but it is highly likely that the same points will be awarded for a single parent with one child, compared to a couple and one child. So it probably will make no difference if the spouse on a time-limited visa is excluded.

Looking at para 6A of the Immigration Rules, a Council House would only be a problem if larger accommodation was allocated because the spouse on a time-limited visa is going to be living there. However, in reality, two-bedroom accommodation would be allocated, with or without that spouse, so para 6A says that such Council Housing will not be a problem.
John

ali sher

Post by ali sher » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:02 pm

John wrote:Casa, I agree, but it is highly likely that the same points will be awarded for a single parent with one child, compared to a couple and one child. So it probably will make no difference if the spouse on a time-limited visa is excluded.

Looking at para 6A of the Immigration Rules, a Council House would only be a problem if larger accommodation was allocated because the spouse on a time-limited visa is going to be living there. However, in reality, two-bedroom accommodation would be allocated, with or without that spouse, so para 6A says that such Council Housing will not be a problem.
John! That two bedroom accommodation allocation without considering spouse is only possible because the op has a child, right? But my concern here is the visa status of that child. What if that child has no recourse to public funds restriction? And could this cause problems when child applies for ILR?
Please I need some advice on it as I'm in a similar situation where I'm on ILR and my wife and daughter have 2 years visas with no rec to public funds. I'm getting JSA, CHB, CTC, HB and CTB.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:07 am

ali sher wrote:
John wrote:Casa, I agree, but it is highly likely that the same points will be awarded for a single parent with one child, compared to a couple and one child. So it probably will make no difference if the spouse on a time-limited visa is excluded.

John! That two bedroom accommodation allocation without considering spouse is only possible because the op has a child, right? But my concern here is the visa status of that child. What if that child has no recourse to public funds restriction? And could this cause problems when child applies for ILR?
Please I need some advice on it as I'm in a similar situation where I'm on ILR and my wife and daughter have 2 years visas with no rec to public funds. I'm getting JSA, CHB, CTC, HB and CTB.
you can only claim JSA, HB and CTB as a single person, - as your wife and daugher have no recourse to PF. As long as you are only getting the single person's rate for each of these benefits you will be OK.

ali sher

Post by ali sher » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks Greenie!
I'm getting HB on a single parent (with one child) rate. So its not a single person rate I think and thus could cause problems. I will ask council to change it to single person rate. Let's see if it works and my family gets ILR without any trouble, we still have 19 months to go.

workingmama
- thin ice -

Post by workingmama » Thu May 10, 2012 8:55 pm

For council housing you would only be entitled to a studio or one bedroom property as your partner and child can not be included on the application as they have no recourse to public finds. Even though you have a child they normally are unable to allocate a 2 bedroom because the claim will be for you only. I work in Housing btw and have seen this many times when allocations process applications (they assess as a single person ignoring any spouse or child due to them not having ILR however allocations may sometimes allow it (for the child), depending on circumstance).

If you get a one bedroom property and then add your partner and child once they have recourse to public finds, you would only be reassesed as lacking one bedroom which is quite a low band (most councils offer property via the choice based lettings scheme and use the banding A to D) and you could be stuck in a one bedroom for years unless you found a mutual exchange with another tenant. There is a huge lack of family sized social housing property and many families with kids still stuck in a one bedroom one and all fighting for something bigger.

Rajapk2012
Newly Registered

Housing

Post by Rajapk2012 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:34 pm

I am living in shared house, 4 bedroom property sharing my family and my friend family, can i claim housing benefit or i have to have seperate accomodation to claim benefit,

Thanks

workingmama wrote:For council housing you would only be entitled to a studio or one bedroom property as your partner and child can not be included on the application as they have no recourse to public finds. Even though you have a child they normally are unable to allocate a 2 bedroom because the claim will be for you only. I work in Housing btw and have seen this many times when allocations process applications (they assess as a single person ignoring any spouse or child due to them not having ILR however allocations may sometimes allow it (for the child), depending on circumstance).

If you get a one bedroom property and then add your partner and child once they have recourse to public finds, you would only be reassesed as lacking one bedroom which is quite a low band (most councils offer property via the choice based lettings scheme and use the banding A to D) and you could be stuck in a one bedroom for years unless you found a mutual exchange with another tenant. There is a huge lack of family sized social housing property and many families with kids still stuck in a one bedroom one and all fighting for something bigger.