ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can someone clarify on the Professional reference

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lovetier1

Can someone clarify on the Professional reference

Post by lovetier1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:28 am

Hi

I'm going for a naturalization in a 10 days time, and I'm applying for my wife(Home maker), my child (2 years) and Myself.

I have a professional reference (office colleague) who also knows our family for more than 5 years. However he is not professionally engaged with my other dependants except me. So my query is, can he act as a professional referee for all of us? if yes, what needs be entered for the question "How you know the applicant?" for the dependants.

Thanks in advance

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:21 pm

If you carefully read the application form, for naturalisation there is no requirement for the referee to be engaged professionally with the applicant. He needs to have professional standing. Just write a family friend.

For the child registration, the referee needs to be profesionally engaged with the child (see the application form).

lovetier1

Post by lovetier1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Jambo wrote:If you carefully read the application form, for naturalisation there is no requirement for the referee to be engaged professionally with the applicant. He needs to have professional standing. Just write a family friend.

For the child registration, the referee needs to be profesionally engaged with the child (see the application form).
Hi Jambo, Thanks for the reply...yes I have gone through that already, however since my kid is only 2 years old (but born in UK), and only the health visitor is professionally engaged...and getting a reference from the health visitor here seems to be a difficult job..and thats the reason for checking other options..

badbug27
Newly Registered

Post by badbug27 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:27 am

lovetier1 wrote:
Jambo wrote:If you carefully read the application form, for naturalisation there is no requirement for the referee to be engaged professionally with the applicant. He needs to have professional standing. Just write a family friend.

Hi Jambo, Thanks for the reply...yes I have gone through that already, however since my kid is only 2 years old (but born in UK), and only the health visitor is professionally engaged...and getting a reference from the health visitor here seems to be a difficult job..and thats the reason for checking other options..
I'm in exact same situation and just called the nationality helpline. I was advised that ideally you need two professional referees for the child. I explained that the health visitor has declined as they don't the children personally. She said do the best you can.

One more question, can a child minder be considered professional person?

paulr
Newly Registered

Post by paulr » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:12 pm

badbug27 wrote:
lovetier1 wrote:

I'm in exact same situation and just called the nationality helpline. I was advised that ideally you need two professional referees for the child. I explained that the health visitor has declined as they don't the children personally. She said do the best you can.

Hi,
I got the approval letter today. My GP and Health visitor declined to give references. I just used the same professional reference for me, my wife and the kids. I'm not sure about the other cases, but it didn't cause any issue for me. They accepted it. The professional reference for me is not a GP or health visitor. He just mentioned "friend's son/daughter" in my kids applications. Hope this information helps.
Check if the child minder is in the list of professionals listed by the home office.

DEVONIAN

Post by DEVONIAN » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:57 am

paulr wrote:
badbug27 wrote:
lovetier1 wrote:

Hi,
I got the approval letter today. My GP and Health visitor declined to give references. I just used the same professional reference for me, my wife and the kids. I'm not sure about the other cases, but it didn't cause any issue for me. They accepted it. The professional reference for me is not a GP or health visitor. He just mentioned "friend's son/daughter" in my kids applications. Hope this information helps.
Check if the child minder is in the list of professionals listed by the home office.
Firstly, I don't think your child minder is qualified to be a referee. Secondly, I can understand if health professionals decline being a referee on the ground that they do not know the applicant(s) personally. But when they do and still decline, it makes me feel (rightly or wrongly) that they think that such actions prevent the applicant from progressing with their applications. I really appreciate my GP. We've been with him for several years and he never hesitated!

badbug27
Newly Registered

Post by badbug27 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:54 pm

DEVONIAN wrote:
paulr wrote:
badbug27 wrote:
lovetier1 wrote:

Hi,
Firstly, I don't think your child minder is qualified to be a referee. Secondly, I can understand if health professionals decline being a referee on the ground that they do not know the applicant(s) personally. But when they do and still decline, it makes me feel (rightly or wrongly) that they think that such actions prevent the applicant from progressing with their applications. I really appreciate my GP. We've been with him for several years and he never hesitated!
Devnonian, are you sure that the child minder don't qualify as a referee (even if she is ofsted registered). This is very important. I did some research here and found other threads where people have actually used them.