ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Global Talent Visa: can endorsement be withdrawn?

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

handicapped_runner
Newly Registered
Portugal

Changing jobs on a GTV endorsed by UKRI

Post by handicapped_runner » Mon May 23, 2022 9:29 am

Hi everyone.

So, I am currently on a GTV. I got this visa because I obtained a fellowship for independent research. It has been almost a year now and it will last for another 2. However, I'm not happy with the current state of my career and I'm looking to switch jobs. I have several questions regarding this.

1. Everywhere I look, it says that my visa is valid unless UKRI withdraws their endorsement. However, I don't see anywhere what are the terms and conditions for this to happen. Would change jobs - essentially, cancelling my fellowship, the reason why they endorsed me in the first place - be enough of a reason to have their endorsement withdrawn?

2. My goal is to stay in the GTV so that I can eventually change to ILR. However, I would have to be 3 years on this visa AND work on my expertise. Unfortunately, due to the specific nature of my research, that will be impossible. Therefore, would it make more sense to pay to extend my visa to 5 years and then switch to ILR (given that, after 5 years, I am eligible to ILR regardless)? Or would I still need to show that I am working on my expertise, even after 5 years? Because, if so, it may make more sense to wait another 2 years to change jobs to guarantee my ILR, correct?

3. I lived in the UK before - specifically, for 4 years. I wasn't away for more than 2 years. However, I am an EU citizen. Would I be, technically, eligible for a returning resident visa? Given that I am EU citizen, I had for those 4 years indefinite leave to remain, but I didn't have a specific visa showing that. Does that make sense? My guess is that I am not eligible, but I am trying to explore every possible alternative.

Thanks a lot!

handicapped_runner
Newly Registered
Portugal

Global Talent Visa: can endorsement be withdrawn?

Post by handicapped_runner » Sat May 28, 2022 2:39 pm

So, I am on a global talent visa, endorsed by UKRI. Unfortunately, my career plans have changed and I want to switch to a different field altogether. Having read the rules, it seems that I can, pretty much, do whatever I want, job-wise. However, in a home office document, it says:

"Any application for further leave or settlement by the Global Talent migrant will be refused where the endorsing body has withdrawn its endorsement."

So, this essentially means that, even if they withdraw their endorsement, I can still stay for the full length of my visa, correct? Of course, the benefit of the global talent visa is that I would be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) after 3 years (since I'm endorsed by the UKRI). One of the conditions for ILR is that I earned money in my field of expertise - which I did. It doesn't say that I still need to be in the field of expertise by the time that I apply. So, it seems that I am on track to be able to apply to ILR even if I change my job. Unless UKRI decides to withdraw their endorsement, in which case I would have to look for a different visa. So, does anyone know if it is common for the UKRI to withdraw their endorsement? If so, what are the conditions for that to happen?

secret.simon

Re: Global Talent Visa: can endorsement be withdrawn?

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 30, 2022 4:08 pm

handicapped_runner wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 2:39 pm
does anyone know if it is common for the UKRI to withdraw their endorsement?
The Global Talent visa is a fairly niche route with relatively few people on it compared to other routes. So the advice we can give on these forums about that visa stream may be limited.
Perhaps the best people to advise you on the question above may be the people at UKRI themselves. You can contact them directly at globaltalentvisa@ukri.org.
Sat May 28, 2022 2:39 pm
this essentially means that, even if they withdraw their endorsement, I can still stay for the full length of my visa, correct?
At least for other visa streams, if the sponsoring body/person (the employer in case of Skilled Worker visa and the settled spouse in case of a spousal visa) ceases their sponsorship, the existing visa is curtailed by the Home Office and the visa holder would be given 60 days to leave the UK.
By analogy, I would presume that if UKRI ceased their endorsement, your Global Talent visa would be curtailed and you would be given 60 days to leave the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

plakhani1991
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Re: Global Talent Visa: can endorsement be withdrawn?

Post by plakhani1991 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:08 am

Hi there,

Have you found exact answer for your question? Kindly share it, as I am also in the same situation and looking for the answer.

Thanks

anonvtic
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Changing jobs on a GTV endorsed by UKRI

Post by anonvtic » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:56 pm

Mon May 23, 2022 9:29 am
Hi everyone.

So, I am currently on a GTV. I got this visa because I obtained a fellowship for independent research. It has been almost a year now and it will last for another 2. However, I'm not happy with the current state of my career and I'm looking to switch jobs. I have several questions regarding this.

1. Everywhere I look, it says that my visa is valid unless UKRI withdraws their endorsement. However, I don't see anywhere what are the terms and conditions for this to happen. Would change jobs - essentially, cancelling my fellowship, the reason why they endorsed me in the first place - be enough of a reason to have their endorsement withdrawn?

Probably not. I changed three jobs between 2020 Sep to 2022 Aug. At the time of my endorsement, my employment was as a postdoc at a UK university. That contract ended in two months after the GTV was obtained (i.e. in Nov 2020). Then I moved to a UK government research lab, working remotely from India during the pandemic for just 4 months i.e. from Dec 2020 to May 2021. The salary was not sufficient to meet household expenses, and I switched to a purely commercial i.e. non-research UK-based for-profit company from May 2021 to Oct 2021. Hated the commercial nature of the job, and moved back to academia from Oct 2021 to present.

In June 2022, I started a part-time self-employed role as the director of my own startup, and employed an hourly-wages overseas student for 20 hours/week.

All of these were done on the GTV with no implications.

In Aug 2022, I applied for my ILR (by using the 1 year on former Tier 2 in addition to 2 years on the GTV) in super priority route, and obtained the ILR approval decision in 24 hours. ILR BRP received the following week after approval email. For the ILR application, obtained a letter from my current academic employment as proof of wages earned in expert field that led to the initial endorsement. One condition of ILR is that the endorsing body must not have withdrawn the endorsement. So evidently, depsite my job hopping even to non-related fields, the endorsement was valid.

2. My goal is to stay in the GTV so that I can eventually change to ILR. However, I would have to be 3 years on this visa AND work on my expertise. Unfortunately, due to the specific nature of my research, that will be impossible. Therefore, would it make more sense to pay to extend my visa to 5 years and then switch to ILR (given that, after 5 years, I am eligible to ILR regardless)? Or would I still need to show that I am working on my expertise, even after 5 years? Because, if so, it may make more sense to wait another 2 years to change jobs to guarantee my ILR, correct?

See my response to above question. You just need to have earned money in your expert field (even if it is for a month), and evidence that during your ILR application either through your academic contract that clearly shows the expert field , or a letter from the former employer about the details of your employment and the salary earned in the expert field.

Other than that, you are free to switch jobs (even to non-research jobs), and/or be self-employed or even be totally unemployed in the UK (except that if you make an ILR application later on using the GTV route, you need to evidence that you have earned some money linked to your expert field at some point, even if just a 1 hour's wage, of your GTV period).

Thanks a lot!