ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport expires before visa ends – procedures and costs?

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Benno
Newly Registered
Finland

Passport expires before visa ends – procedures and costs?

Post by Benno » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:19 pm

Hello!

I will start my stage II from abroad soon and know that my current passport will expire before the end of my visa.

What happens then?

This is what I (think to) know so far:

I will make the application using the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app using my biometric EU passport (this works for sure).

Thus, I will get a "digital immigration status" (instead of a passport vignette & biometric residence permit). Source: https://staffimmigration.admin.ox.ac.uk ... -in-the-uk

I guess the aforementioned "digital immigration status" means a UKVI account that one gets when applying for stage II using the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app?

Apparently, I can update my “identity document, such as your passport or national identity card” in my UKVI account . Source: https://www.gov.uk/update-uk-visas-immi ... nt-details
And, as far as I know, the account allows me to prove my right to work in the UK.

However, reg. an expired passport it reads as follows:

“Prove your right to work in the UK
You cannot use a valid visa in your expired passport to prove you have the right to work in the UK. You must replace your visa with a biometric residence permit.”

Options:
1) “replace your visa with a biometric residence permit if you’re in the UK (the cost depends on your visa status)”
2) “transfer your visa to a new passport online if you’re outside the UK (it costs £154)”
(source: https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa)

Ad 1) I will be in the UK when my current passport expires. Thus, I'm quite interested in this little ‘detail’ left unmentioned: What is the cost of the BRP in the case of a Global Talent visa?

Ad 2) I won’t be abroad, but the online account applies to me (s. above). Does making this kind of changes in my UKVI account cost £154?!

+Two more considerations:

- Is it possible that the visa is only accorded for the validity of my passport?
- Do I have to be able to prove my right to work at all times until the very end, although I am not planning to change my job? (The transfer of the visa to the new passport is only needed for this purpose, travelling works even without a transfer, cf. second link above.)

It would be great if somebody knows exactly how this works and what the associated costs are – so that I could make an informed decision on whether I should (try to) renew my passport before starting stage II. Neither my employer nor my Home Office contact could help me.

Thank you so much in advance!

Benno
Newly Registered
Finland

Re: Passport expires before visa ends – procedures and costs?

Post by Benno » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:29 pm

Typo (unfortunately I cannot edit "anymore"):

- Do I have to be able to prove my right to work at all times until the very end, although I am not planning to change my job? (The transfer of the visa to the new passport is only needed for this purpose, travelling works even without a transfer, cf. THIRD link above.)