ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does the dependent needs to apply visa when I change employer and change from visa to ILR?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

a66013

Does the dependent needs to apply visa when I change employer and change from visa to ILR?

Post by a66013 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:14 pm

Hi, I applied the skilled worker visa together with my wife in Sept 2021, so both of our visa expires til Sept 2024. I applied to ILR after fulfilling 5 years living in the UK, and my wife remain dependent visa.

I found a better job recently and because I am already ILR, I do not need any visa sponsorship. However, do my wife need to re-apply the dependent visa given her current dependent visa expire in Sept 2024? Or just wait when her visa expire like Aug 2024 and apply spouse visa instead?

Many thanks!!

meself2
Ireland

Re: Does the dependent needs to apply visa when I change employer and change from visa to ILR?

Post by meself2 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:20 pm

If your wife will not be able to apply for ILR on current visa, she should wait until her current visa is close to expiry and apply for another dependent visa (since you got ILR via Skilled Worker, she can do that). It'll be a 3 year extension.

Do not apply for spouse visa - it'll reset her ILR clock and she would have to get 5 years up again.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

a66013

Re: Does the dependent needs to apply visa when I change employer and change from visa to ILR?

Post by a66013 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:35 pm

meself2 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:20 pm
If your wife will not be able to apply for ILR on current visa, she should wait until her current visa is close to expiry and apply for another dependent visa (since you got ILR via Skilled Worker, she can do that). It'll be a 3 year extension.

Do not apply for spouse visa - it'll reset her ILR clock and she would have to get 5 years up again.
Thanks so much for your quick reply!!
I also think that she has the right to remain in the UK until her current dependent visa expires in Sept 2024, even I changed employer and also changed from skilled worker to ILR.

Regarding your suggestion of apply another dependent visa, would she still apply dependent visa when I am british citizen (Will apply in late 2023 and should become british citizen in early 2024 before her current dependent visa expires.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:45 am

a66013 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:35 pm
meself2 wrote:

I also think that she has the right to remain in the UK until her current dependent visa expires in Sept 2024, even I changed employer and also changed from skilled worker to ILR.

Regarding your suggestion of apply another dependent visa, would she still apply dependent visa when I am british citizen (Will apply in late 2023 and should become british citizen in early 2024 before her current dependent visa expires.
Assuming you got your ILR via skilled worker route, she can apply for another dependent visa when you're British, yes.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

a66013

Post by a66013 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:32 pm

meself2 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:45 am
a66013 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:35 pm
meself2 wrote:

Assuming you got your ILR via skilled worker route, she can apply for another dependent visa when you're British, yes.
Yes, I am. And thanks for your advice! Very helpful.