ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visas invest in Current UK limited company

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Chemist

Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visas invest in Current UK limited company

Post by Chemist » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:05 pm

Dear All,

Hope you are all doing well. I am a manager and director of a limited company based and registered in the UK. In my company there are many projects are opened for investors...recently I am connected by three different investors two of them are happy to invest in some project on my company and they would like to take part as well and work on theses project so they asked me about the possibility if they can invest on my company and can apply for UK Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa.

My company is registered in England AND Wales for 2 years ago. my questions are:

[1] Is that possible for this investor to invest in one or more of my company projects and apply for UK Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa? and if that possible so how much they have to invest £50.000 or £200.000 ?

Thanks in advance for helping and advice

Best wishes
Chemist

marcnath

Re: Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visas invest in Current UK limited company

Post by marcnath » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 pm

They would have to invest 200K. Two of them can join together as a team and invest 100K each
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 am

As a small UK business owner needing investment £200K could be useful and substantial for you. I can think of some pitfalls (and I do not believe this has been significantly discussed on this forum. I hope this thread is useful to other).

First put yourself in the shoes of the "investor" she would want to make sure that she gets the T1 visa, extension and ILR. So may put limitations on you that could be hard to keep up with (what if your business needs, over 5 years are such that you need to lower your headcount? that would kill their visa)

She would join you as a director with all the legal issues of control around that. What if you see things differently over the 5 years? Who decides?

Would she want a salary for her ongoing activities? will she be involved day to day (which for the right person could be very valuable to your business)

She would want an equity stake (not necessary for t1e per se, but investment is investment)

You do not control the t1e rules and regulations and would be hard for you to commit that she will get visa (due to changes and due to business realities)

In short make sure you are getting into bed with someone you want as your investor and iron out upfront all the issues that could happen. Also remember if the money is only to come after initial visa is granted that could mean 2 months of assembling paperwork (together) and even up to a year of waiting....

Especially when joining an existing business there may be more scrutiny by HO.

I was approached 3 times to "invest" in my business for t1e. One was clearly not relevant (just wanting to get their brother to UK and had no other visa route). One had an interesting connection to my business so had a discussion. The third was actually a Mayfair consulting company that does exactly this, connecting t1e prospects to existing businesses.

read bellow the excerpt from the MAC report and assimilate the situation.

Role in the running of the business
8.49 The current requirement that a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) migrant must play an active role in the running of their business does not appear to be sufficient to ensure that, in addition to bringing their financial investment, Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) migrants are bringing their skills and labour to make their business a success. This means that, in some cases, the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) route is used by some high net worth individuals as a lower cost alternative to the Tier 1 (Investor) route. A sizeable proportion of recent intake under the route has been migrants who invest £200,000 or more into an established business that requires investment. This is generally desirable economic activity and is consistent with the current objectives of the route for those cases where the entrepreneur’s skills and connections are of value to the business in addition to their investment.
8.50 However, where the migrant is purely bringing investment, rather than skills or labour, there is an argument that this activity is similar in nature to that intended for the Tier 1 (Investor) visa. The Government may wish to consider whether this activity should continue under the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) route or whether it should be incorporated into the Tier 1 (Investor) visa.
8.51 If the Government chooses to restrict this ‘Investor-lite’ activity, we suggest that Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) migrants be required to demonstrate, particularly at the point of extension, that they will be or have been involved in the day to day running of the business.

Chemist

Post by Chemist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm

marcnath wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 pm
They would have to invest 200K. Two of them can join together as a team and invest 100K each
Thank you so much for the appreciated advice. actually, both of the two investors looking for invest £50.000 each of them

And they thought as my limited company is considered as a UK business so they can invest the only £50.000 each not £200.000

Do you this that could be true!!!

Chemist

Post by Chemist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:21 pm

seasky wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 am
As a small UK business owner needing investment £200K could be useful and substantial for you. I can think of some pitfalls (and I do not believe this has been significantly discussed on this forum. I hope this thread is useful to other).

First put yourself in the shoes of the "investor" she would want to make sure that she gets the T1 visa, extension and ILR. So may put limitations on you that could be hard to keep up with (what if your business needs, over 5 years are such that you need to lower your headcount? that would kill their visa)

She would join you as a director with all the legal issues of control around that. What if you see things differently over the 5 years? Who decides?

Would she want a salary for her ongoing activities? will she be involved day to day (which for the right person could be very valuable to your business)

She would want an equity stake (not necessary for t1e per se, but investment is investment)

You do not control the t1e rules and regulations and would be hard for you to commit that she will get visa (due to changes and due to business realities)

In short make sure you are getting into bed with someone you want as your investor and iron out upfront all the issues that could happen. Also remember if the money is only to come after initial visa is granted that could mean 2 months of assembling paperwork (together) and even up to a year of waiting....

Especially when joining an existing business there may be more scrutiny by HO.

I was approached 3 times to "invest" in my business for t1e. One was clearly not relevant (just wanting to get their brother to UK and had no other visa route). One had an interesting connection to my business so had a discussion. The third was actually a Mayfair consulting company that does exactly this, connecting t1e prospects to existing businesses.

read bellow the excerpt from the MAC report and assimilate the situation.

Role in the running of the business
8.49 The current requirement that a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) migrant must play an active role in the running of their business does not appear to be sufficient to ensure that, in addition to bringing their financial investment, Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) migrants are bringing their skills and labour to make their business a success. This means that, in some cases, the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) route is used by some high net worth individuals as a lower cost alternative to the Tier 1 (Investor) route. A sizeable proportion of recent intake under the route has been migrants who invest £200,000 or more into an established business that requires investment. This is generally desirable economic activity and is consistent with the current objectives of the route for those cases where the entrepreneur’s skills and connections are of value to the business in addition to their investment.
8.50 However, where the migrant is purely bringing investment, rather than skills or labour, there is an argument that this activity is similar in nature to that intended for the Tier 1 (Investor) visa. The Government may wish to consider whether this activity should continue under the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) route or whether it should be incorporated into the Tier 1 (Investor) visa.
8.51 If the Government chooses to restrict this ‘Investor-lite’ activity, we suggest that Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) migrants be required to demonstrate, particularly at the point of extension, that they will be or have been involved in the day to day running of the business.
Thank you too much Seasky for this appreciated informations and explanations.

I am the owner of the UK limited company ...and these two investors and serious to invest both of them would like to invest in different projects on my company...but my aim is as the following

[1] bring money to my business through these investments.

[2] Help the investors to apply and get Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) then appointed them as directors of my company each of them will be work and director each project who is investing in.and of-course when the project will success then they will start getting a salary. So as a company I will appoint them as directors but will not pay any salary for them till there will be revenue.

But honestly, I am still not sure if they can invest only £50.000 or they have to invest £200.000

your advice will be much appreciated

Best wishes

Chemist.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Chemist wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm
marcnath wrote:
Thank you so much for the appreciated advice. actually, both of the two investors looking for invest £50.000 each of them

And they thought as my limited company is considered as a UK business so they can invest the only £50.000 each not £200.000

Only certain very limited circumstances that allow the £50k route. Are these 'investors' currently in the UK and if yes, what is their current visa status?
Access to £50,000 investment funds
You can apply if you have access to £50,000 in investment funds from one or more of the following:

a UK entrepreneurial seed funding competition endorsed by the Department for International Trade (DIT)
a UK government department making funds available for the purpose of setting up or expanding a UK business
a venture capital firm registered with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
You can also apply if you’ve already invested £50,000 in a UK business. You must have invested the funds less than 12 months before you apply.

The funding rules are different if you’re changing (switching) from another visa, or if you’ve already had a UK visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Chemist

Post by Chemist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:31 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:22 pm
Chemist wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm
marcnath wrote:

Only certain very limited circumstances that allow the £50k route. Are these 'investors' currently in the UK and if yes, what is their current visa status?
Access to £50,000 investment funds
You can apply if you have access to £50,000 in investment funds from one or more of the following:

a UK entrepreneurial seed funding competition endorsed by the Department for International Trade (DIT)
a UK government department making funds available for the purpose of setting up or expanding a UK business
a venture capital firm registered with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
You can also apply if you’ve already invested £50,000 in a UK business. You must have invested the funds less than 12 months before you apply.

The funding rules are different if you’re changing (switching) from another visa, or if you’ve already had a UK visa.
Hi CR001, really waiting for your reply........

actually, the following statement made me confused

((((You can also apply if you’ve already invested £50,000 in a UK business. You must have invested the funds less than 12 months before you apply.))))

Because as far as understand the investor could be eligible if they start or will start to invest £50.000 in my company (as a UK business)...
Is that true
The investor still out of the UK and have not any visa yet!!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:43 pm

£200k if first time applying outside the UK.

The advice remains the same as the advice you were given when you asked a very similar question in 2016.

uk-tier-1-entrepreneur-visas/uk-based-l ... l#p1409378
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Chemist

Post by Chemist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:53 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:43 pm
£200k if first time applying outside the UK.

The advice remains the same as the advice you were given when you asked a very similar question in 2016.

uk-tier-1-entrepreneur-visas/uk-based-l ... l#p1409378
Very great... thank you CR001 for the confirmation..........your advice trusted forever

Cheers

Chemist

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Chemist wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:21 pm
Thank you too much Seasky for this appreciated informations and explanations.

I am the owner of the UK limited company ...and these two investors and serious to invest both of them would like to invest in different projects on my company...but my aim is as the following

[1] bring money to my business through these investments.

[2] Help the investors to apply and get Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) then appointed them as directors of my company each of them will be work and director each project who is investing in.and of-course when the project will success then they will start getting a salary. So as a company I will appoint them as directors but will not pay any salary for them till there will be revenue.

But honestly, I am still not sure if they can invest only £50.000 or they have to invest £200.000

your advice will be much appreciated

Best wishes

Chemist.
Always happy to help and contribute back to the forum that has helped me so much. Especially on issues like this that are rare to be discussed on this forum.

Remember that as a single entity even if their projects gain 2 employees in another project loses employees they will not gain extension.

Make sure you do not legally commit that they get extension!

Very unlikely £50k route but curious myself on thw wording you mention on pre-investing...

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Chemist wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:31 pm

actually, the following statement made me confused

((((You can also apply if you’ve already invested £50,000 in a UK business. You must have invested the funds less than 12 months before you apply.))))
Quite a few people try to interpret this as an easy way to get into T1E with 50 K.
The 200K route has an exactly similar wording.
The point is that you cannot read this sentence in isolation.
The paragraph starts with the fact that a condition to T1E visa is "access to funds, whether 50K or 200K".
This sentence then also ALLOWS investment made in the past 12 months to be also used INSTEAD of "access to funds" - so it is a relaxation of the "access to funds" rule and not a substitution of that. The condition of three sources for the 50K is still application even if the money were already invested.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:27 am

marcnath wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Quite a few people try to interpret this as an easy way to get into T1E with 50 K.
The paragraph starts with the fact that a condition to T1E visa is "access to funds, whether 50K or 200K".
This sentence then also ALLOWS investment made in the past 12 months to be also used INSTEAD of "access to funds" - so it is a relaxation of the "access to funds" rule and not a substitution of that. The condition of three sources for the 50K is still application even if the money were already invested.
Very good explanation. I never understood the 50k route well. Is there a case you can "pre-invest" on 50k? I thought it was all about getting investment from a VC?

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:43 pm

seasky wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:27 am
marcnath wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Very good explanation. I never understood the 50k route well. Is there a case you can "pre-invest" on 50k? I thought it was all about getting investment from a VC?
No reason a VC would not invest before the visa application

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 pm

marcnath wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Do VCs tend to invest into existing businesses?

(VCs in the context of t1e £50K investments)

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:42 pm

seasky wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 pm
marcnath wrote:

I have no idea.
But more importantly how many VCs are interested in a 50k investment oppportunity ?

Chemist

Post by Chemist » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:16 pm

marcnath wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:42 pm
seasky wrote:
marcnath wrote:

I have no idea.
But more importantly how many VCs are interested in a 50k investment opportunity?
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your sincerely and appreciated advice

Best wishes

Alaa

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:00 pm

marcnath wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:42 pm
seasky wrote:
marcnath wrote:

I have no idea.
But more importantly how many VCs are interested in a 50k investment oppportunity ?
In my world the legal and due diligence bill for a VC investment is double £50K. £50K is nice pre-seed angel investment to get the ball rolling (in my case to apply for a patent, register the company, find a strategic partner and a few other things to get going). So I am not clear what these "VCs" are that invest in T1Es (genuine question of understanding)

tarekmay
Newly Registered
Egypt

Post by tarekmay » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:11 am

Dear,

I really enjoyed the topic and the info you gave, I would like to have direct contact with you " Chemist " to discuss in details the possibility to join your business or to have a brainstorming discussion about what cooperation we can do especially I already applied for the Tier 1 visa and expected within a week and I will be ready to invest 200k in any suitable business, please mail me on email address removed by moderator.

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:25 am

tarekmay wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:11 am
Dear,

I really enjoyed the topic and the info you gave, I would like to have direct contact with you " Chemist " to discuss in details the possibility to join your business or to have a brainstorming discussion about what cooperation we can do especially I already applied for the Tier 1 visa and expected within a week and I will be ready to invest 200k in any suitable business, please mail me on email address removed by moderator.

Thanks.
I strongly suggest you read the forum rules. You are not permitted to post any form of contact details.

Kindly also start your own topic with any questions you have instead of digging up a 1 year old thread to tag onto. User 'Chemist' has not logged or visited the forum since last posting in March 2018.
Char (CR001 not Casa)