ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When should I apply for extension?

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

wxyuanilr

Old passport lost

Post by wxyuanilr » Sat May 30, 2020 11:49 pm

My parents have been living in the UK since 2017 on a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa (my dad is the main holder of the visa, while my mum is a dependant). They are going to extend their visas in September this year, but their old passports, which show all their international travel history (stamps for entries or exits to or from countries) from 2017 to 2019, have been lost/missing since they renewed their passports last year. Please could anyone advise if this would be a major problem, and if so how we could remedy that? Is there any other valid way to prove their time spent in the UK since 2017?

zimba
Mood:

Re: Old passport lost

Post by zimba » Sun May 31, 2020 3:00 am

wxyuanilr wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:49 pm
My parents have been living in the UK since 2017 on a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa (my dad is the main holder of the visa, while my mum is a dependant). They are going to extend their visas in September this year, but their old passports, which show all their international travel history (stamps for entries or exits to or from countries) from 2017 to 2019, have been lost/missing since they renewed their passports last year. Please could anyone advise if this would be a major problem, and if so how we could remedy that? Is there any other valid way to prove their time spent in the UK since 2017?
There is no need to prove they spent a specific time in the UK for extension. Where did you get such an idea ?!
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Sun May 31, 2020 11:28 am

Ah, I thought we need to prove that they have spent more than 180 days in the UK each year, and just realised it's only a requirement for Indefinite Leave to Remain?

However, the stamp by the UK border at the aiport which shows when they first entered the UK since the grant of Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa is only on their old passport. Do you think that will be a problem, or do you think we don't need to worry about the missing old passports at all?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sun May 31, 2020 1:21 pm

wxyuanilr wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:28 am
Ah, I thought we need to prove that they have spent more than 180 days in the UK each year, and just realised it's only a requirement for Indefinite Leave to Remain?

However, the stamp by the UK border at the aiport which shows when they first entered the UK since the grant of Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa is only on their old passport. Do you think that will be a problem, or do you think we don't need to worry about the missing old passports at all?
It is not relevant at all
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Sun May 31, 2020 8:02 pm

Hi @Zimba, do you mean there is no need to provide previous passports in the application for Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa extension, even though the current passport was only issued last year?

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm

wxyuanilr wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:02 pm
Hi @Zimba, do you mean there is no need to provide previous passports in the application for Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa extension, even though the current passport was only issued last year?
No, the application form is pretty clear that you need to provide all previous passports, but it also has the option to give an excuse if you can't for some reason such as this.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:47 am

Thank you @Zimbra and @marcnath

wxyuanilr

How much maintenance fund required?

Post by wxyuanilr » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:58 am

Could anyone point me at a gov.uk page which indicates how much maintenance fund is required for each main applicant and each dependant respectively in Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa extensions? Many thanks.

zimba
Mood:

Re: How much maintenance fund required?

Post by zimba » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:45 am

wxyuanilr wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:58 am
Could anyone point me at a gov.uk page which indicates how much maintenance fund is required for each main applicant and each dependant respectively in Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa extensions? Many thanks.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rs-1-2-4-5

wxyuanilr

When should I apply for extension?

Post by wxyuanilr » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:53 pm

My Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa was granted in September 2017 and expires in January 2021. I understand that a visa extension should normally be made 28 days before the current visa expires, but since my current visa was granted for 34 months and I first entered the UK under the current visa on 19-Oct-2017, do you think I can apply for extension this month?

What I want is getting my visa extended as early as possible while ensuring I don’t need another extension before application for ILR in 2022. Will UKVI extend my visa for at least 24 months from the date of the visa approval? Do you think I can apply now and submit the documents or attend the biometric appointment just after 19-Oct-2020 to ensure that the visa gets extended to at least 19-Oct-2022 when I should become eligible for ILR?

zimba
Mood:

Re: When should I apply for extension?

Post by zimba » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:50 am

There is no restrictions or limitations on when to apply for an extension.

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:30 pm

Zimba wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:50 am
But applying too early may result in another extension required before completing 5 years to be eligible for ILR. I wanted to ensure that the visa gets extended to at least 19-Oct-2022 when I will become eligible for ILR, in which case when should I apply for ILR? Will UKVI extend the visa for 24 months from the visa approval date no matter when I apply?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:25 pm

wxyuanilr wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:30 pm
Zimba wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:50 am
But applying too early may result in another extension required before completing 5 years to be eligible for ILR. I wanted to ensure that the visa gets extended to at least 19-Oct-2022 when I will become eligible for ILR, in which case when should I apply for ILR? Will UKVI extend the visa for 24 months from the visa approval date no matter when I apply?
You cannot ensure anything. The extension is granted for 24 months regardless of when you apply and it can take several months to be processed. If you want to get ILR, you may or may not need an extra extension to get to the required 5 years

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:12 pm

marcnath wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm
wxyuanilr wrote:
No, the application form is pretty clear that you need to provide all previous passports, but it also has the option to give an excuse if you can't for some reason such as this.
The checklist says: "If you have received a new passport since your last leave to remain application, and your visa is in your old passport, you must include both passports."

We did have a temporary Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa as entry clearance in our passports (my wife’s is in her old passport) which was valid for only one month and then replaced by the current BRP card after we entered the UK. Do you think that would still be counted as “your visa is in your old passport”? If so, what should we do since we cannot find my wife’s old passport at the moment?

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:03 pm

wxyuanilr wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:12 pm
marcnath wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm
wxyuanilr wrote:
The checklist says: "If you have received a new passport since your last leave to remain application, and your visa is in your old passport, you must include both passports."

We did have a temporary Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa as entry clearance in our passports (my wife’s is in her old passport) which was valid for only one month and then replaced by the current BRP card after we entered the UK. Do you think that would still be counted as “your visa is in your old passport”? If so, what should we do since we cannot find my wife’s old passport at the moment?
The application does have the option to give a reason if you can't submit a passport.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

wxyuanilr

Business Bank Letter

Post by wxyuanilr » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:18 pm

In the document checklist for my Tier 1 Entrepreneur extension, there is:
A letter from the business's bank(s) confirming you are a signatory on the account(s)); evidence to show business premises in the UK; and that the business is subject to UK taxation
I have a letter from Barclays issued 3 years ago when I became director of our company, but it only confirms I am one of the signatories. The address shown on the letter is our previous address, does that meet the requirement of showing business premises in the UK? I am also not sure if it has evidence to show that the busines is subject to UK taxation, how can a bank letter show that?

marcnath

Re: Business Bank Letter

Post by marcnath » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:32 pm

wxyuanilr wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:18 pm
A letter from the business's bank(s) confirming you are a signatory on the account(s)); evidence to show business premises in the UK; and that the business is subject to UK taxation
I have a letter from Barclays issued 3 years ago when I became director of our company, but it only confirms I am one of the signatories. The address shown on the letter is our previous address, does that meet the requirement of showing business premises in the UK? I am also not sure if it has evidence to show that the busines is subject to UK taxation, how can a bank letter show that?
It is helpful not to try and outguess HO. If they have specified a document as a requirement to satisfy a requirement, trust that they know how it meets the same. As the applicant, you duty is to supply the specified document, not to figure out how they will do their job.

Having said that, the letter is an optional document in case you don't have a bank statement. Read the guidelines properly.

The checklist does not do a cross check when there are alternate documents you can provide.

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:19 pm

marcnath wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:32 pm
wxyuanilr wrote:
It is helpful not to try and outguess HO. If they have specified a document as a requirement to satisfy a requirement, trust that they know how it meets the same. As the applicant, you duty is to supply the specified document, not to figure out how they will do their job.

Having said that, the letter is an optional document in case you don't have a bank statement. Read the guidelines properly.

The checklist does not do a cross check when there are alternate documents you can provide.
I do have a bank statement for our business bank account, but the statement only has the name of our Founder & CEO, while other Directors including myself are not shown on the statement. Do you think that would suffice?

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:39 am

Do you have any idea on the above?

Also, regarding proof of the married replationship between the dependant and the main applicant of the Tier 1 Entrepreneur, would the marriage certficate with translation into English be sufficient? I know that for FLR(M) or SET(M) more evidence is required to show that the marriage is subsisting, such as 6 items of correspondence, but I don't see this requirement for the extension of Tier 1 Entrepreneur dependant. Could you correct me if I am wrong?

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:11 am

wxyuanilr wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:19 pm
marcnath wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:32 pm
wxyuanilr wrote:

I do have a bank statement for our business bank account, but the statement only has the name of our Founder & CEO, while other Directors including myself are not shown on the statement. Do you think that would suffice?
Are you sure that is a business bank account statement? Business bank accounts typically only have the name of the business - not any particular individual(s).

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:12 am

wxyuanilr wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:39 am
Do you have any idea on the above?

Also, regarding proof of the married replationship between the dependant and the main applicant of the Tier 1 Entrepreneur, would the marriage certficate with translation into English be sufficient? I know that for FLR(M) or SET(M) more evidence is required to show that the marriage is subsisting, such as 6 items of correspondence, but I don't see this requirement for the extension of Tier 1 Entrepreneur dependant. Could you correct me if I am wrong?
For an extension, that should be sufficient. For ILR, you need two years worth of address proof.

wxyuanilr

Post by wxyuanilr » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:01 am

Are you sure that is a business bank account statement? Business bank accounts typically only have the name of the business - not any particular individual(s).
Yes, I am sure it is a business bank account statement, as it says:

Your Business accounts - at a glance
Up-to-date account information
Business Current Account Statement

and the account number and sort code are matched to our business name.

Just the statement was posted to our Founder & CEO at our business address.

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:01 pm

wxyuanilr wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:01 am
Yes, I am sure it is a business bank account statement, as it says:

Your Business accounts - at a glance
Up-to-date account information
Business Current Account Statement

and the account number and sort code are matched to our business name.

Just the statement was posted to our Founder & CEO at our business address.
As long as the business name is on the statement, there is no other requirement

wxyuanilr

Is a personal statement required at all?

Post by wxyuanilr » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:31 pm

In application for the extension of Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa, do I need to enclose a personal statement (letter written by myself) to meet the following requirement or any other requirement?
(c) regardless of whether the applicant is self-employed, a director or member, they must also provide:

(i) an overview of the business’s activity, including an explanation of the goods or services it provides to its customers or clients; and
(ii) the applicant’s job title and job description, setting out their role within the company, how they are implementing their business plan and what their main tasks and responsibilities are in running the business on a day-to-day basis.
Can this be provided as a letter from the founder/CEO of our company as well as a solicitor representation letter?

wxyuanilr

Re: Is a personal statement required at all?

Post by wxyuanilr » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:46 pm

wxyuanilr wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:31 pm
In application for the extension of Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa, do I need to enclose a personal statement (letter written by myself) to meet the following requirement or any other requirement?
(c) regardless of whether the applicant is self-employed, a director or member, they must also provide:

(i) an overview of the business’s activity, including an explanation of the goods or services it provides to its customers or clients; and
(ii) the applicant’s job title and job description, setting out their role within the company, how they are implementing their business plan and what their main tasks and responsibilities are in running the business on a day-to-day basis.
Can this be provided as a letter from the founder/CEO of our company as well as a solicitor representation letter?
@CR001 @Zimba @marcnath I was wondering if you have any idea on this?