ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension when visa no longer offered?

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

PineappleThief
Newly Registered
Australia

Extension when visa no longer offered?

Post by PineappleThief » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:12 pm

Hello,

I'm confused what normally happens if you require extension (due to some absences) for Tier 1 Exceptional Promise to meet 5 years IRL requirements. But, the visa is no longer offered at that time?

Do they still grant you extension? or you have to switch to another visa? If you have to switch, which ones are acceptable to switch to? e.g. visitor visa?

I guess this is more of a general visa issue, I'd like to hear from Marcnarth and experts as well

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Extension when visa no longer offered?

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:26 pm

Why do you believe your visa category won't be available for extension??
which ones are acceptable to switch to? e.g. visitor visa?
This is not possible within the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

PineappleThief
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by PineappleThief » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:47 pm

As per experience, I have seen visas being removed or replaced with newer categories. I would just like to know what happens if a visa does get removed/replaced.

What type of visas can you normally switch towards in order to complete the 5 year ILR requirement?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:31 pm

Visa categories are not removed often and when they are, it is usually due to substantial abuse of the route/system. In the last 10 years, only 3 visa categories have been discontinued, quite far apart. There are also usually transitional provisions put in place for those on the specified visas etc.

You could switch to tier 2 general if you get a sponsor or a spouse visa if you have a British or ILR holder partner or student visa if you want to study. Depends on the route to ilr you want on which visas count towards 5 years or 10 years long residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.