ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switched T1 (Entrepreneur) to T1 (Exceptional Talent) -- when can I apply for ILR?

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nickp
Newly Registered
Russia

Switched T1 (Entrepreneur) to T1 (Exceptional Talent) -- when can I apply for ILR?

Post by nickp » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Hi,

I had T1 (Entrepreneur) for 5 years (firstly granted in 2013, extended in early 2017). Had no chance to convert to ILR (changed business in the last two years and did not hire two people for a full year).

I applied for T1 ET (Tech Nation), successfully switched. When can I apply for ILR? After 3 years (default option for ET) or earlier?

Thanks in advance.

marcnath

Re: Switched T1 (Entrepreneur) to T1 (Exceptional Talent) -- when can I apply for ILR?

Post by marcnath » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:43 pm

nickp wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:01 pm
Hi,

I had T1 (Entrepreneur) for 5 years (firstly granted in 2013, extended in early 2017). Had no chance to convert to ILR (changed business in the last two years and did not hire two people for a full year).

I applied for T1 ET (Tech Nation), successfully switched. When can I apply for ILR? After 3 years (default option for ET) or earlier?

Thanks in advance.
Yes - after three years
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

nickp
Newly Registered
Russia

Re: Switched T1 (Entrepreneur) to T1 (Exceptional Talent) -- when can I apply for ILR?

Post by nickp » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:54 pm

Yes - after three years
Thanks. However, I found (below on this forum) the link https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... sed-system that says
(c) All of the following requirements must be met:
(i) The applicant must have spent a continuous period of:
(1) 3 years lawfully in the UK, if their last endorsement by a Designated Competent Body was under that body’s criteria for “exceptional talent”, as set out in Appendix L, or
(2) 5 years lawfully in the UK, if their last endorsement by a Designated Competent Body was under that body’s criteria for “exceptional promise”, as set out in Appendix L;
(ii) The applicant must have, or have last been granted, leave as a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) Migrant.
(iii) The relevant continuous period in (i) must have been spent with leave either as a Tier 1 Migrant (excluding as a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Migrant or Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) Migrant) or as a Tier 2 Migrant (excluding as a Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Migrant).
For me, this sounds like I have continuously spent three years in the UK under the conditions. The previous visa was T1 (Entrepreneur), not T1 (Graduate Entrepreneur). Am I wrong? Do I miss some other requirements?

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:12 pm

nickp wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:54 pm
Yes - after three years
Thanks. However, I found (below on this forum) the link https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... sed-system that says
(c) All of the following requirements must be met:
(i) The applicant must have spent a continuous period of:
(1) 3 years lawfully in the UK, if their last endorsement by a Designated Competent Body was under that body’s criteria for “exceptional talent”, as set out in Appendix L, or
(2) 5 years lawfully in the UK, if their last endorsement by a Designated Competent Body was under that body’s criteria for “exceptional promise”, as set out in Appendix L;
(ii) The applicant must have, or have last been granted, leave as a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) Migrant.
(iii) The relevant continuous period in (i) must have been spent with leave either as a Tier 1 Migrant (excluding as a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Migrant or Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) Migrant) or as a Tier 2 Migrant (excluding as a Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Migrant).
For me, this sounds like I have continuously spent three years in the UK under the conditions. The previous visa was T1 (Entrepreneur), not T1 (Graduate Entrepreneur). Am I wrong? Do I miss some other requirements?
That is correct and that was my understanding too.

However, https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y/y ... alent-visa seems to say you should have 3 years in the ET visa.

The immigration rules override any other document, so you should be able to apply now provided you meet this condition:

(i) During his most recent period of leave as a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) Migrant, the applicant has earned money in the UK as a result of employment or self-employment in his expert field as previously endorsed by a Designated Competent Body; and (ii) That Designated Competent Body has not withdrawn its endorsement of the applicant.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

nickp
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by nickp » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:46 pm

marcnath wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:12 pm
That is correct and that was my understanding too.

However, https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y/y ... alent-visa seems to say you should have 3 years in the ET visa.

The immigration rules override any other document, so you should be able to apply now provided you meet this condition:
I see, thanks!

WRWR
Russia

Post by WRWR » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:03 am

I think I saw a post on this forum from a person who switched from Tier 2 (General) after 3 years to Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) and applied for ILR almost immediatelly.

Caseworker was surprised because 3 years rule was new, but ILR was granted.

nickp, please let us know how it goes for you. I am in the similar position and I would highly appreciate any extra information. Thank you!