ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 2 (General) to Tier 1 ET (Tech Nation)

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Winnie271
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 2 (General) to Tier 1 ET (Tech Nation)

Post by Winnie271 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:17 am

Hi all,

I'm planning to switch from a Tier 2 (General) to Tier 1 ET (Tech Nation) and have the following question.

I have already been on Tier 2 (General) visa for 3.5 years, but I'll be applying to switch to Tier 1 ET much earlier before the expiry of my current visa (expires in a year or so). I know we can combine Tier 2 with Tier 1 ET in future to apply ILR.

However, what does the guidance mean by "there is a risk that you will not be granted enough leave to qualify for settlement without applying for a further extension."?

Does it mean I may not be granted 1.5 years with the I passed stage 1 (which I can't really imagine). Can anyone advise? Thank you.

It's from Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) Policy Guidance version 07/2018 - Page 10 of 51

50. "If you are already in the United Kingdom, you should apply for stage 2 before your current
leave to remain expires – ideally, this should be at least a month before it expires. However,
you should note that we will grant the period of leave which you request from the date that we
make the decision, and consequently if you apply much earlier than one month before the
expiry of your current leave, there is a risk that you will not be granted enough leave to qualify
for settlement without applying for a further extension.
"

marcnath

Re: Switching from Tier 2 (General) to Tier 1 ET (Tech Nation)

Post by marcnath » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:43 am

That is a general statement for all types of visas and all kind of renewals - not specific to T1 ET
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

Winnie271
Newly Registered

Post by Winnie271 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:50 pm

marcnath wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:43 am
That is a general statement for all types of visas and all kind of renewals - not specific to T1 ET
Thanks Marcnath, do you mind to explain a bit more? Does it mean if I apply for T1 ET now and I'm more than 1 year early for my T2 expiry, I may not be granted enough period of leave to remain? Or will they grant me 1.5 years (I'm 1.5 years away from 5-year residency).

Thanks.

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Winnie271 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:50 pm
marcnath wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:43 am
Thanks Marcnath, do you mind to explain a bit more? Does it mean if I apply for T1 ET now and I'm more than 1 year early for my T2 expiry, I may not be granted enough period of leave to remain? Or will they grant me 1.5 years (I'm 1.5 years away from 5-year residency).

Thanks.
They will still grant you three years (or what you request).
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.