ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Domestic Worker

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, Administrator

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Domestic Worker

Post by Papafaith » Fri May 07, 2004 9:35 pm

My wife is a pharmacist and we have two daughters and we will both be working when we get to UK. I have a domestic worker taking care of our children while we both work here in Nigeria. How can we get her to accompany us to the UK, what are the procedures.
Secondly, i never heard anyone with HSMP settling in Scotland, i love Aberdeen and that is where i will be setlling, Kaya or anyone else, can you advice?
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: Domestic Worker

Post by Chess » Sat May 08, 2004 10:03 am

My wife is a pharmacist and we have two daughters and we will both be working when we get to UK. I have a domestic worker taking care of our children while we both work here in Nigeria. How can we get her to accompany us to the UK, what are the procedures.
If you have sufficient funds - then there is a possibility of coming with your 'domestic worker'..........Usually domestic workers tend to work in diplomatic posts! (check the www.workingintheuk.gov.uk as there might be guidance on domestic workers)

How old are your daughters???

Secondly, i never heard anyone with HSMP settling in Scotland, i love Aberdeen and that is where i will be setlling, Kaya or anyone else, can you advice?

I am sure there will be a 'soul' on HSMP/workpermit in Aberdeen. It does not matter whether you settle in Cornawall or Shetlands - at the end of the day you need to find a job..and link up with members of your community (to avoid home sickness)...Nigerians are everywhere, so you will not be out of place

Have you recieved your Approval letter yet?..good that you are making future plans
Where there is a will there is a way.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Sat May 08, 2004 11:26 am

Hi Chess, my daughters are ages 4+ and 1. DHL says document will arrive Nigeria onwednesday 12th, so will keep you informed. I will check the site you gave me for domestic workers' requirement. Thanks pal.
Have you heard from HSMP yet?

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Sat May 08, 2004 11:46 am

Good Luck PAPA!!

Did you requested for urgent treatment?

Whenever i call/e-mail them i'm getting the same reply, that i've to wait for another 2 weeks, still in front of the queue etc.

TIA
TF

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Sat May 08, 2004 1:43 pm

timefactor, i didn't apply for urgent treatment. Just making plans, really don't know if it is positive or negative. My apps arrived Doncaster feb. 11th. I guess it got to my turn. When did you submit.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Sat May 08, 2004 1:59 pm

Thankyou for the quick reply

Good Luck and Good luck again!! always wish to hear the good news.

Mine was also on the same day with ref.no 1281x

TF

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Sat May 08, 2004 2:03 pm

My ref is 129** how com they got to my first. Where did you apply from.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Sat May 08, 2004 2:12 pm

I'm an in-country applicant. They might have some ways of takingout the application. Who knows? may be reference number, receipt date, fees charged date... :)

Not panic, but waiting and waiting :roll: . And another 5-6 weeks for getting the passport back, if the decision is positive. Alltogether a 5 month process

TF

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Sat May 08, 2004 2:19 pm

Don't worry pal, it will come out right.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Sat May 08, 2004 2:22 pm

Thankyou for the support. We will have a cup of tea once you land in UK.

TF

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Sat May 08, 2004 2:24 pm

Thanks for that kind gesture, i will be heading straight to Aberdeen. I hope to see you there.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Sat May 08, 2004 3:46 pm

Do i fill one EC form for every one of my dependents and can i aplly for Domestic worker visa for my Nanny at the same time i file for EC?
Chess, Kaya, TF can you help.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Sat May 08, 2004 4:11 pm

Not sure, but this may shed some light

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/default.asp?PageId=137

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sat May 08, 2004 4:34 pm

Do i fill one EC form for every one of my dependents
Yes - you should sign on behalf of the kids. Your wife will have to sign her own form.
and can i aplly for Domestic worker visa for my Nanny at the same time i file for EC?
Yes and it is advisable. The domestic worker provision is a concession outside the rules - as described before it is administratively easier for those being employed in diplomatic households. The dw needs to have been in your employment for a minimum of 1 year before the EC application as evidenced by amongst other things an employment contract and salary history. You also need to set up a new/continuation contract of employment with detailed duties and responsibilities as well as sign a formal undertaking to take care of the dw financially. The dw also needs to sign specific employment contract related forms at the consulate before the Entry Clearance Officer so contact the consulate/ high commission and ask them to forward them out to you. IMHO you will find it difficult to get your nanny an EC especially if you are coming to job hunt as opposed to coming into employment. Expect the ECO to grill you on why you can't make alternative arrangements in the UK with 'local' nannies.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Sat May 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Kaya you are too much. I intend for my family and Nanny to join me in the next 3 months, just want to get their documentation ready so when its time they just fly.
Secondly, in Nigeria we don't prepare contract documents for Nannies, just a verbal agreement and we pay cash, so looks like i may not have documented evidence that she has been with me for a long time, any way out?

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon May 10, 2004 5:24 pm

Papafaith wrote:
Kaya you are too much.
Presumably a Naija compliment. If so many thanks.
I intend for my family and Nanny to join me in the next 3 months, just want to get their documentation ready so when its time they just fly.
Good plan.
Secondly, in Nigeria we don't prepare contract documents for Nannies, just a verbal agreement and we pay cash, so looks like i may not have documented evidence that she has been with me for a long time, any way out?
Not that I can see of - possibly you could go down the sworn affidavit route but I wouldn't be too hopeful. Regretably ECO's at Nigeria see any undocumented relations be they family or employment a lucrative arena for fraud. The case of a few rotten apples spoiling the whole lot.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Tue May 11, 2004 10:18 am

Thanks Kaya, i will take the affidavit route.

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: Domestic Worker

Post by Chess » Tue May 11, 2004 12:13 pm

Scotland needs loads of immigrants as stated by the Home Secretary and Scottish First Minister

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/n_story.asp?item_id=936
Where there is a will there is a way.

NationOne

Post by NationOne » Sat May 22, 2004 4:26 am

Papafaith,

Any success in getting EC for the Nanny. I also have a similar situation.
So wondering if we can take a domestic worker along...

NationOne

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Sat May 22, 2004 6:16 am

Nation 1, where are you resident, Nigeria? Am yet to apply for EC. Check this link.
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... rkers.html

Mini
Member of Standing

Post by Mini » Sat May 22, 2004 6:40 am

PAPA,
I too am very interested in knowing the fate of the EC for your DW. Pls keep us posted.
Mini