ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

arz
Newly Registered

HSMP

Post by arz » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:10 am

a) what will be the requirment for renewal of HSMP after 1 year?
b) when a HSMP holder will get ILR/passport?
thx

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:49 am

a) you have to meet the requirement of the immigration rules for renewal which are broadly:

i. being in economic activity i.e. employment or self employment in your HSMP designated occupation during initial year. If you came to the UK on HSMP having been granted such to pursue say a career in medicine/ engineering you will not get renewal if you have been working in retail say a shop. The minimum criteria for self employment renewal is having a sound business plan and a relevant business account. Registration with the Inland Revenue for Income Tax payments and National Insurance contributions is a definite plus.

ii. ability to maintain yourself and any dependents without recourse to public funds (state welfare) - you need to submit 3 mths payslips/bank statements for the period prior to renewal. Covering a longer period i.e. 6 mths is recommended.

iii. ability to accomodate yourself and any dependents without recourse to public funds (state welfare) - you need to submit a tenancy agreement, mortgage deeds etc.

iv. continued evidence that you have made the UK your home - this covers those who land in the UK on HSMP then leave shortly after before returning to get a renewal - these people don't succeed. Absences linked to your UK employment/ self employment e.g. sales conferences, short term overseas assignments are acceptable but must be documented. Evidence of continued Income Tax payments and National Insurance contributions as well as having property in the UK helps your case. Any absences of over three months consecutivley will impact on residence requirements for ILR purposes.

b) After being on HSMP for 4 consecutive years an applicant can apply for ILR. The immigration rules have been amended to allow amalgamation of time spent in other categories leading to settlement e.g. Work Permit or being a dependent of such with HSMP for ILR purposes - however in such amalgamation where any time has been as a dependent then HSMP is the status that must be held at the time of ILR application.

You must first apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen before you can apply for a British Passport. The are some differences in requirements for naturalisation depending on whether you are the spouse of a British Citizen or not.

Not married to BC

Must have held ILR for 12 months

Residence requirement is that you have lived in the UK for 5 years on the date of application. Overall absences out of UK in this period must not be more than 450 days with not more than 90 days in the last year.

Must have been physically present in the UK on the date 5 years preeceding the date of application.

Must intend to make the UK your home after naturalisation.

Must pass language tests.

Married to BC

Not required to have held ILR for 12 mths - can apply as long as they have ILR.

Residence requirement is to have lived in the UK for three years on the date of application - overall absences outside the UK must be less than 270 days with not more than 90 days in the last year.

Must have been physically present in UK on the day 3 years preeceding your application.

The Home Secretary has the power to waive the residence requirement except that to have been physically present in the UK on the day 3/5 years preeceding your application. In all cases you must be over 18, of sound mind, pass character checks - includes criminal checks/ payment of taxes/ evaluation of any bankruptcies etc and never have breached UK immigration law during the qualifying period e.g. illegal entry/ overstaying. If your application is successful you will attend a citizenship ceremony where you will pledge/ swear an oath to the crown and a certificate of citizenship issued. You are then able to use this certificate of naturalisation as a British Citizen to apply for a British Passport.

Note that naturalisation is not a right but a privilege granted to you by the Home Secretary.

NMSheikh
Newly Registered

Post by NMSheikh » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:38 pm

Reply from Kayalami is very comprehensive and informative. I got my HSMP renewed last October and it was straightforward i.e.

1. Submitted passports (self & dependents).

2. Filling in the form FLR (HSM).

3. Evidence of previous years economic activity (I enclosed my employment contract, a fresh letter from employer and wage slips).

4. Ability to maintain self & dependents (if any), in form of last 3 months (or may be 6 months) bank statements reflecting sufficient funds to maintain self & dependent for reasonable period of time (not defined but could be 6 months).

5. Declaration (within application form) that you have not accessed public funds during the year and has not been (or has been, what ever is the case) convicted by the Police.

I also enclosed my tenancy agreement, P-60s and copy of HSMP award letter (though these are not essential but may be helpful).

In case there is no economic activity at all (could be a rare case) then one must present the evidences that what efforts he/she has put in to become financially active. It could be extensive applications / e-mails / interview invitations for job (and regret replies, if any). It can also be the progress report (with evidences) for establishing a business.

Hope it help.
Good Luck.