ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No Jobs in UK!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ukdreamer

No Jobs in UK!

Post by ukdreamer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:16 am

Guys, You all must be watching the news about credit crunch. There is no Job in UK at this moment what ever field you work. if you don't have UK expereince forget about getting the job here.!! So don't hurry up and go for Tier1 Visa and don't arrive in UK leaving your current jobs, please keep them with you until market stabilize. One of expert says in BBC is till 2010 the situation won't improve.! So even being here after 6-10 months you not get jobs!!

My sincere suggest you guys don't arrive in UK without studying UK Job and Economic condition.

Kuljitvb
Newly Registered

Post by Kuljitvb » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:17 am

That's very bad. :(

I am also planning to come in first week of January 2009 . I would like people to share their experience related to job search there.

Also I would like to know the condition of IT jobs there. I am dot net developer with 4 years of experience.

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:22 am

Kuljitvb wrote:That's very bad. :(

I am also planning to come in first week of January 2009 . I would like people to share their experience related to job search there.

Also I would like to know the condition of IT jobs there. I am dot net developer with 4 years of experience.
Original poster has already shared his personal experience? What else are you asking for?

apply4hsmp

Post by apply4hsmp » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:36 am

Yes, I agree absolutely, unemployment is at an all time high and is increasing by the day. Every other day there is news of one or the other company going bust. All temporary/contractor staff are being asked to leave.

Best is to stick where u are and let this phase pass on and things improve else its going to be hard for a lot of people trying to come to work here.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:07 am

Guys come on, it's not quite as bad as the media is making out. I'd urge you to stay positive as there are still plenty of roles out there in the IT field.

I just searched for .NET and came up with 303 Jobs looking to be filled!!

http://www.jobserve.com/JobListing.aspx ... 5AB339BC1B

Keep applying, make your Visa stats clear and be pro-active! :D

theimmigrant

Post by theimmigrant » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:13 am

but i dont know why job serve is showing 100s of .net jobs every day? :D

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:21 am

Another good site providing daily rates and changes in the IT market.

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:17 pm

There are jobs out there but the market is moving quite slowly. Even for a contract, they might have it open for CVs for one week, review CVs for one week, interviews for one week, then decisions after that. Even once a decision is made, there would be another week for background checks, signing contracts, etc. Be prepared for the time it takes to get a role. The market always slows down coming into Christmas anyway.

As well, because there are lots of candidates, recruiters (and companies) are being very specific about what they are looking for. They can specify industry experience, technical knowledge, qualifications, etc. And they know they will have candidates who tick all their boxes. In the past, where you might be considered if you had *most* of what they needed, now you need to have *all* of what they want. So, be prepared to put through a lot of applications before you get some interest.

Both of the above are not to say, don't come to the UK, but definitely you need to consider your timing and also be prepared (and financed) for a longer period without work. I'd say coming before Christmas isn't a great idea at any time, even in good economic times.

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:43 pm

From financial services IT perspective the situation is VERY bad. Contracts are not being renewed, rates are cut and permanent staff are being let go left right and center (at all levels).

The job market is saturated with applicants and the number of vacancies is almost non-existant as budgets in most companies are being cut for 2009. If a website does show a ".net position" most of the time it is an agency with a generic posting trying to accumulate CVs.

My advice would be to either try and line something up before coming over OR be prepared for at least 4-6 months of looking for work. I know finance sector is probably most affected by the downturn and other IT fields might be holding up better, but 2009 will be very tough jobs wise so keep that in mind.

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:40 pm

Just to confirm, I am in financial services IT as well.

I think it will be very difficult to line something up before arriving - if competition is tough in London, those who are here already will have a competitive advantage - at least they will be able to attend interviews in person and will be in the same timezone for agents to call.

Unless an intercompany transfer is an option, I do not think lining up a job before arriving will be possible. Just choose your arrival timing carefully and make sure you have the financial reserves for a long wait. A friend of mine took two months to get a job, even though he was in the UK, and that was in June-July before the market really tumbled.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Thank you Goldfish for brining a well informed voice to this topic.

"Contracts are not being renewed, rates are cut"

I have just had a meeting with an IT contractor this afternoon that has had his contract extended for the same rate he is currently on untill Feb 09. This will be the time when companies have established plans for going forwards which will almost definaetly mean looking at new IT solutions to improve processes and cut costs and so more contract work will again be avaliable.

Goldfish has given the best advice in his posts.

Kaff
Member of Standing

Post by Kaff » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:19 pm

You must have heared about Auto industry situation all sectors, I working for one of them and things are not looking good here too, news about job cuts of up-to 50% is circulating around from last two weeks and if this happens then few thousads will be out of job. This will make situation hard to get a decent job.. I am holding my fingures crossed!! still Worried.

Piece of advise, please don't come here at this time to loose your well established jobs unless you are truly confident that you have outstanding skills. Good luck and best wishes for rest of all.
Kaff

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:32 pm

ALL are welcome but come with atleast £ 4000 to survive

6 month cost of Lodging & Boarding 600 *6 =3600
travel for interview 200 *6 = 1200

minimum otherwise very hard

rest your luck

RXRX
Newly Registered

Post by RXRX » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:05 pm

Kuljitvb wrote:That's very bad. :(

IT is still OK as I know.

jhp

Post by jhp » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:10 pm

Vanadil wrote:Guys come on, it's not quite as bad as the media is making out. I'd urge you to stay positive as there are still plenty of roles out there in the IT field.

I just searched for .NET and came up with 303 Jobs looking to be filled!!

http://www.jobserve.com/JobListing.aspx ... 5AB339BC1B

Keep applying, make your Visa stats clear and be pro-active! :D

Yes you will get a 100 and maybe more adverts for sure. Can I add its the same job advertised by several agents, same job advertised over and over again , sometimes several times per day. So dont get carried away by the numbers they dont mean anything.And also dont forget your not elgible for some of the jobs because for some jobs they will want people who travel without Visa restictions in the EU, some jobs you need to be SC cleared, some jobs are only for british citizens. Ive been in the UK for the last 4 yrs and my company asked me to leave few months back. Ive been job hunting recently so I know what its like. Like Sushil-ACCA says all are welcome but dont expect anything spectacular to happen for a good 6 months. In total if youve been watching the news atleast a 100,000 jobs have been shed IT+ Finance+ travel + automobile.By all means everybody is welcome but bring more than 5000 £ and be prepared to be jobless with a gap in your cv and be prepared to fight out for jobs with the brits and people who have UK experience and if I were you I wouldnt do it and I wouldnt have been job hunting now if I had a choice.
Last edited by jhp on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:12 pm

"Contracts are not being renewed, rates are cut"

I have just had a meeting with an IT contractor this afternoon that has had his contract extended for the same rate he is currently on untill Feb 09. This will be the time when companies have established plans for going forwards which will almost definaetly mean looking at new IT solutions to improve processes and cut costs and so more contract work will again be avaliable.
Vanadil, unfortunately that is very rare these days. I also spoke to few who were let go mid contract two weeks ago and another who had option of 15% rate cut or notice period.

On the flip side looks like insurance IT might be a sector with some good news - http://news.efinancialcareers.co.uk/new ... emId-16119.

Bank budgets slashed/rates cut:
http://news.efinancialcareers.co.uk/new ... emId-15977
http://news.efinancialcareers.co.uk/new ... emId-15926
http://news.efinancialcareers.co.uk/new ... emId-15856
http://news.efinancialcareers.co.uk/new ... emId-15767

Jedi001
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by Jedi001 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:16 pm

Sushil-ACCA wrote:ALL are welcome but come with atleast £ 4000 to survive

6 month cost of Lodging & Boarding 600 *6 =3600
travel for interview 200 *6 = 1200

minimum otherwise very hard

rest your luck

Indeed you should have that amount, unless you have a friend or family out there in UK to support you atleast for stay. I am one of those lucky ones who have lot of friends and family in UK. I am working with Microsoft and my domain is Messaging; I specialize in what i do with all the certifications required.

Is someone there who is in similar field working in UK who can post their views about job market for Messaging domain?

I am planning to travel in April or May 2009 and will apply in Jan or feb 2009. Any views will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Jedi001

Hope2007

Post by Hope2007 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:00 pm

I have to agree...if you have a job already where you are now , please dont resign that job and come over here. life is very difficult here than in your home country...
People say many positive comments, it may not suit your/my situation...

i myself had lots of dreams about moving abroad , moved here...but i go through the tensed, insecured life here...i know, it is everywhere...but we have some sort of family support(not financially)to share problems in my country...here u have to bear in silence..

if i won a lottory tomorrow atleast, 50000 pounds, i would go back and settle in my country...but i would rather work hard & earn that money...

my sincere advice, if you have a job offer here then it is the right place..

shafique
Newly Registered

Post by shafique » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:48 pm

Situation is getting much worst. In the past there were many agencies like reeds which used to register applicants for ordinary jobs but now the moment you enter their office they say '' If you don't have one year checkable history in uk we can't register you'' Sorry. One of the agencies advised to go to the public library, check yellow page and contact employers directry. I did that and sent hundreds of messages with CV and only few of them replied that they don't have any vacancy at the moment.
There are vacancies but kind of labour jobs like picking and packing and loading and unloading. They don't care about qualification and status you had in your country and drive you very hard to complete the job. Believe me doing labour job here is much harder than in your own country.
You will be emotionally shattered and you will be losing your hard earned money here in just couple of month. So please plan well before moving here or think about other option like going to other countries Canada, Australia, NZ.

vinkhub1

Please post the field

Post by vinkhub1 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:47 am

Just a suggestion.

If posting more comments please mention the field or combination of field (IT, Finance, IT-Finance, HealthCare etc.) in which you are sharing your experience/forecasting.

ukdreamer

Post by ukdreamer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:30 am

Guys, I Arrived in UK Jan 2008 dreaming Big Job and good money.. dreaming about saving lots of money. It took 2 months for me to start work in on of the Biggest Healthcare company. Everything was going well and i have brought my family. Then started all this credit crunch story, the company acquired by another company and now i am facing Redundency threat..!! in couple of weeks i will get to know my last working day!

I smell little earlier and started looking for a job ( i am having 7+yrs exp and 5yrs in only in dotnet) in the last 30 days i got couple of calls for the enquiry about my status. All the Agencies just need to know wether i attend any interview and where and who is the contact person. Just they want all these infromation to generate their business for their. They will learn the industry from talking to us, nothing else..!! i have seen in the forum people are saying there are so many jobs available to fill..!! Dear friend they most of them Bogus Jobs..

I have started this Thread to help people who are their in home coutnry with jobs and wishng to travel in this Hard Sitution. There are so many members in this forum who are currently working in UK or lost their jobs are giving advice. Take them openly and decide appropriately and save yourself.

jhp

Post by jhp » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:14 pm

ukdreamer wrote:Guys, I Arrived in UK Jan 2008 dreaming Big Job and good money.. dreaming about saving lots of money. It took 2 months for me to start work in on of the Biggest Healthcare company. Everything was going well and i have brought my family. Then started all this credit crunch story, the company acquired by another company and now i am facing Redundency threat..!! in couple of weeks i will get to know my last working day!

I smell little earlier and started looking for a job ( i am having 7+yrs exp and 5yrs in only in dotnet) in the last 30 days i got couple of calls for the enquiry about my status. All the Agencies just need to know wether i attend any interview and where and who is the contact person. Just they want all these infromation to generate their business for their. They will learn the industry from talking to us, nothing else..!! i have seen in the forum people are saying there are so many jobs available to fill..!! Dear friend they most of them Bogus Jobs..

I have started this Thread to help people who are their in home coutnry with jobs and wishng to travel in this Hard Sitution. There are so many members in this forum who are currently working in UK or lost their jobs are giving advice. Take them openly and decide appropriately and save yourself.
Hi ukdeamer,

I have been job hunting recently because I was going to be made redundant. I know exactly what you mean. Ive got 10 years IT experience of which 4 years Java/J2ee all UK experience. I dont think you should spend a lot of time with those agents who are just trying to get information like how is the market , have you had any interviews etc. They only get this information to call back the companies youve interviewed with to get more business. There are some agencies who call you around the same time every 2 weeks asking if you had any interviews and with whom you had them. The genuine ones who have a prospective client will get down straight to business and usually only ask if they can forward your cv to a particular company after a short chat. There are only few jobs in the market and almost all agencies have the contact of these few companies. Its also important to be polite to these agents because ultimatly they will decide to forward your cv to the right places.After 1 month of job hunting I forwarded all the calls to voice mail because if they genuinely want to contact you they will wither leave a voice mail or send you an e-mail. Otherwise most agents are a waste of time and space.

hsmpvictim123
Newly Registered

Jobs

Post by hsmpvictim123 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:45 pm

Hello guys...

Job market is not as good as last year.. that is for sure... Dont be misguided by the jobs posted on net as they are only fake adverts....

Wondering why somebody give fake adverts ????? - In UK, most companies dont directly recruit people but they ask agents get people for them. Agent gets very good amount of money for perm job and for contract job he gets percentage everyday (around 10-25%). How agent get to know the companies and vacancies? That is very interesting.. he give a fake advert.. when you apply for it, he ask what is your current company and who is your boss... then he calls your boss and ask if there is any vacancy is going to be created (to replace you obviously). Ofcourse he is only interested in UK companies and bosses... So he will not even give call with indian exp cv even if you apply.

On average out of 100 adverts only 4 are real.

betterlatethannever

Guidance needed!

Post by betterlatethannever » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Hi,

First of all, I would like to thank all members in forum to post their reviews on recession and job in UK which helped me a lot. When I applied for HSMP in first week of September, I thought that once I get Visa, I'll resign current job and go to UK for job search. Since then, I am following this forum on regular basis and realized it is very very risky to leave current job without other job in UK. Currently, I am working for reputed Indian MNC and have 4.5 years of experience in .NET technologies, but I don't have any prior experience in UK.

I need guidance from experienced people out here on how to proceed further.
- Should I take leave for one month in Jan 09 and go to UK for job search
- Should I wait for opportunity from home country
- Should I tell company that I have UK visa and ask them for any onsite opportunity in UK. Once I reach there, I may work for 6 months or so, till that time I'll have UK experience and market may get better. After that I may change.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:58 pm

Mr brown has taken some financial decisions (vat etc) , wait for economy response to it

that will decide job market otherwise dont look to uk job market till mid jan 09

regards