Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PSW dependent is home student or international student?

Only for UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Locked
shoma
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:50 am

PSW dependent is home student or international student?

Post by shoma » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi

Does anyone know if dependent of PSW visa holder, is treated as international student or home student in educational institutions.

If he is treaded as home student then he will pay home student fees ? is that correct?

Thanks in advance

tall_funky
BANNED
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:35 am

Post by tall_funky » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:11 pm

There is no way he can be treated as home student.

arsenal49
Diamond Member
Posts: 1739
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:04 am

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:14 pm

dependent's nationality is..... EU or non-EU?

if non-EU, then he/she will be classed as overseas student

tall_funky
BANNED
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:35 am

Post by tall_funky » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:25 pm

If the dependent is an EU national, he will not need the dependent visa in the first place!

arsenal49
Diamond Member
Posts: 1739
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:04 am

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:29 pm

tall_funky wrote:If the dependent is an EU national, he will not need the dependent visa in the first place!
good point! :lol:

ersourabhbhola
Junior Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:55 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by ersourabhbhola » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Any non-EU Nationality holder is considered as international student regardless of present visa status....so psw dependent is also an international student.
Sourabh Bhola

KDS
BANNED
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:54 pm
Location: Southall

Re: PSW dependent is home student or international student?

Post by KDS » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:30 pm

shoma wrote:Hi

Does anyone know if dependent of PSW visa holder, is treated as international student or home student in educational institutions.

If he is treaded as home student then he will pay home student fees ? is that correct?

Thanks in advance
she can't pay home student fee but she can do part time course even though it will take longer but will be lot cheaper.

sunmoon
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:27 am

Re: PSW dependent is home student or international student?

Post by sunmoon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:41 pm

KDS wrote:
shoma wrote:Hi

Does anyone know if dependent of PSW visa holder, is treated as international student or home student in educational institutions.

If he is treaded as home student then he will pay home student fees ? is that correct?

Thanks in advance
she can't pay home student fee but she can do part time course even though it will take longer but will be lot cheaper.
Its not cheaper, you have to pay the same amount but in a longer duration.

KDS
BANNED
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:54 pm
Location: Southall

Re: PSW dependent is home student or international student?

Post by KDS » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 pm

sunmoon wrote:
KDS wrote:
shoma wrote:Hi

Does anyone know if dependent of PSW visa holder, is treated as international student or home student in educational institutions.

If he is treaded as home student then he will pay home student fees ? is that correct?

Thanks in advance
she can't pay home student fee but she can do part time course even though it will take longer but will be lot cheaper.
Its not cheaper, you have to pay the same amount but in a longer duration.
No It's more or less same fee as home student fee even (if you add all the years)

Greenie
Respected Guru
Posts: 7352
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:45 pm

Post by Greenie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 pm

ersourabhbhola wrote:Any non-EU Nationality holder is considered as international student regardless of present visa status....so psw dependent is also an international student.
well that's not correct. there are number of circumstances in which a non-EU nationality holder could be treated as a home fees payer for example if

- they have settled status in the UK and meet certain residence requirements
- they are married to a UK or EU/EEA national and meet certain residence requirements
- they have RS, HP or DL or are the family member of such a person.

I agree though that a person on a PSW dependent visa is unlikely to be a home fees payer but to say that any non EU national will be considered an international student regardless of present visa status is incorrect.

The UKCISA website is a useful resource on such issues.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_s ... e_overseas

sunmoon
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:27 am

Re: PSW dependent is home student or international student?

Post by sunmoon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:27 pm

KDS wrote:
sunmoon wrote:
KDS wrote:
shoma wrote:Hi

Does anyone know if dependent of PSW visa holder, is treated as international student or home student in educational institutions.

If he is treaded as home student then he will pay home student fees ? is that correct?

Thanks in advance
she can't pay home student fee but she can do part time course even though it will take longer but will be lot cheaper.
Its not cheaper, you have to pay the same amount but in a longer duration.
No It's more or less same fee as home student fee even (if you add all the years)
I don't agree ! as for example, if the tuition fees for a full time MSc is 12000 pounds(one year) then it is normally about 6000 per year for part time( two years) international students, so the degree cost almost the same amount.

wik
Newly Registered
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Re: PSW dependent is home student or international student?

Post by wik » Fri May 02, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi,
I am in UK and PSW Dependant visa, Its expiring on July 2014.

Q. Can i switch/apply to Tier 4 General Student from UK.
Thanks

Locked
cron