ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Visa ending before Graduation

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kenfrapin

Student Visa ending before Graduation

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:42 am

Hi,

I had a question on behalf of my cousin and thought I'd ask here as this is quite urgent.
My cousin's Student Visa is ending August 10th however she graduates, as in gets her graduation certificate, only by the end of August. Is there any means of extending her student visa until then as she is currently working here and plans to apply for a PSW visa after that?
1. Can she ask for an extension of her student visa?
2. Can she apply for a tourist visa and once she gets her degree apply for a PSW?
3. Is there an interim option as she just falls short by 4 weeks or so and she doesnt want to leave the country just for this time frame

EDIT - Forgot to add that her college is not prepared to provide a letter so she cant apply without this letter and before she gets her original certificate

Thanks
KP

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:31 am

why is her college not prepared to provide a letter to say that she has been awarded her degree?

In answer to your questions

1. No - as she has finished her course.
2. She can only apply for a tourist visa from outside the UK or on entry if she is a non-visa national, and she can't switch from tourist to PSW
3. There is no interim option unless she qualifies for leave in another category.

If she has already been awarded her degree by the exam board, then the institution should issue her with a letter as per the PSW guidance.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks for the quick reply - beats me why they cant issue a letter as she has completed the course, passed the exams and just waiting for final dissertation result and degree. I for one dont understand what the problem is but let me go back to her on this

Cheers
KP

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:46 am

kenfrapin wrote:Thanks for the quick reply - beats me why they cant issue a letter as she has completed the course, passed the exams and just waiting for final dissertation result and degree. I for one dont understand what the problem is but let me go back to her on this

Cheers
KP
if she doesn't have her final dissertation result then this is why they can't issue the letter - as she has not yet been awarded the degree. when is the final result of the dissertation due?

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:49 am

Asked and yes, apparently college is taking 3 months to approve the dissertation and so, this is will be completed by end of August which is when they will issue the degree at once.

So if the dissertation hasnt been evaluated this in essence means shes still a student with them so can she not extend her student visa as she has the right to be in the UK till this is over?

KP

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:51 am

kenfrapin wrote:Asked and yes, apparently college is taking 3 months to approve the dissertation and so, this is will be completed by end of August which is when they will issue the degree at once.

So if the dissertation hasnt been evaluated this in essence means shes still a student with them so can she not extend her student visa as she has the right to be in the UK till this is over?

KP
no - as she is no longer studying and is no longer required to be in attendance. she can go home and await for her results there.